Author Topic: FH2 could be a tank WW2 simulator  (Read 1321 times)

Offline BlueBaron

• View Profile
FH2 could be a tank WW2 simulator
« on: 26-02-2014, 04:02:44 »
Hey boys

I am wandering if FH2 could become a real WW2 tanks simulator....it would be awesome

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: FH2 could be a tank WW2 simulator
« Reply #1 on: 26-02-2014, 05:02:14 »
You'd have to be more specific. Do you mean like adding interiors, 2 man crews etc?

I'll say that personally, I think FH2 has created as realistic a tank experience as the Refractor Engine can handle that suits its gameplay really well, but I haven't thought of it thoroughly. 

Offline hyperanthropos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-02-2014, 10:02:36 »
First its not really possibly because of Engine limitations.

Second it probably wouldnt be awesome. Imagine you need the 5 people for every tank, you couldnt have anything else apart from some tanks on a map since there are not enough players.
Also I dont want to coordinate 5 random people to controll a tank.

And what do you want to achieve by this post in the first place? Do you honestly believe that there will be some major changes in gameplay these days? The pace of development is slow enough.

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26-02-2014, 12:02:31 »
There's other games out there for this purpose. Bf2 engine would not fit that great with it, and fh2 certainly would not either. However, there's still not that many WWII games where you get the whole infantry, tank, aircraft etc experience that you still get with Fh2.

I can imagine a map with a huge amount of tanks on it though, that would be fun :)

Offline Damaso

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26-02-2014, 15:02:41 »
well.. atleast the management of those possible tank divisions in FH2 would be secured  ;D

teamwork squad

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-02-2014, 20:02:29 »
It could...

But not until the devs allow the tank "commanders" in the commander hatches to duck... (seriously, how hard is to add that???) :P

... And add some more sounds to the tanks (for example: radio chatter, ammo switching notifications, gun reload notifications). Currently the tanks seem dead and empty, unless there's a guy spamming voice commands riding with you...

If I catch some time in the next few weeks I'll try to mod in some examples and post some vids to show what I mean...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline hyperanthropos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26-02-2014, 21:02:42 »
But not until the devs allow the tank "commanders" in the commander hatches to duck... (seriously, how hard is to add that???) :P

Do you mean actually having a head sticking out of the hatch if you re using the current standard view? But than if you duck what do you see, the devs would have to mod the interior of the tanks.

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-02-2014, 21:02:06 »
Yes yes, the old 'how hard can it be', if only i got a € for each time i heard that :)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27-02-2014, 00:02:23 »
Do you mean actually having a head sticking out of the hatch if you re using the current standard view? But than if you duck what do you see, the devs would have to mod the interior of the tanks.

No, I actually meant only the passengers in the commander cupola where no AA MG is mounted should have the ability to take cover from the guaranteed death that awaits them if they stick in that seat for too long. Right now the bow MG seat is usually empty (where it exists) so you can use that to take cover, but on some maps where there is a lack of tanks and lots of infantry it becomes a problem.

Now, I don't know a lot about the exact work involved, but judging by the quick look at the bf2 editor you only need to check "allow ducking" and code the appropriate animation for it... feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. They did this for Battlefield Heroes so I assume it's somehow possible in BF2 (but that uses the updated version of the engine used for BF 2142 so it might as well not be).
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline BlueBaron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27-02-2014, 01:02:06 »
Hey boys

Hum...maybe you could just create some maps that would involve huge tanks battle.

The battle of Kursk for example. There were also great tanks battle in North Africa.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27-02-2014, 01:02:43 »
Ever played El Alamein or Alam Halfa? These maps are full of tanks.

Offline Damaso

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-02-2014, 01:02:30 »
Ever played El Alamein or Alam Halfa? These maps are full of tanks.

Indeed - i once could get like 10 tanks bombing enemy base

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27-02-2014, 04:02:57 »
Why do you want to use tanks to barrage the base?  That's plain stupid. Let alone 10 tanks. That's A huge waste of offensive assets. Unless they only had main uncap left, which counts as baserape...

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27-02-2014, 04:02:44 »
Yea Blue I'd wait for a map with a bunch of tanks like El Al, Gazala or Totalize. On those you can really get a chance to see what tanking's like in FH2. On these maps, once you die you can almost always hop in another tank at main and try again. :) once you've tanked enough you'll find that there are a lot of nuances and tactics that make it pretty immersive imo 8)

Offline BlueBaron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27-02-2014, 05:02:18 »
I play FH2 since 1 week and I love it. I just think that FH2 has the potential for some great tanks battles maps

I have a lot of respect to the developers. They did a great job.

« Last Edit: 27-02-2014, 05:02:27 by BlueBaron »