Author Topic: 2 Ways Improvement of Suppression Fire  (Read 4717 times)

Offline Laffey

• View Profile
2 Ways Improvement of Suppression Fire
« on: 09-02-2011, 00:02:20 »
1. Blinking
When you hear loud noises that you do not "expect"  i.e. a bullet crack you tend to blink your eyes subconsciously for a very short time. This can be implemented in the game as a slight dimming and flickering of the screen as each shot goes past. So a MG would be more effective then a bolt-action for suppression.

2. Twiching
Same reason as above. A subconscious movement by muscles due to sudden noises. The "twiching" can be very subtle but it would make returning fire with sniper-like accuracy as currently ingame more difficult.

FH2 nick= [BoF]RoflSeal
WoT nick= RoflSeal(aka BucketSeal by hslan and TS guys)

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Ways Improvement of Suppression Fire
« Reply #1 on: 09-02-2011, 00:02:47 »
Sounds nice. Better than the blur...

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #2 on: 09-02-2011, 00:02:02 »
I've always wanted this, so i'm 100% behind it.

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-02-2011, 00:02:40 »
hahahah!
imagine a guy blinking with each MG42 bullet going past! 1200 blinks a minute!
Good suggestion though. If thats possible
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-02-2011, 00:02:20 »
Well, the screen gets progressively dimmer until it goes black altogether, and all you can hear is your heart pounding...

This sounds even more awesom-0 than the pre-2.15 blur effect ever was.

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-02-2011, 01:02:29 »
^Yeah but your not going to be "blind" do to Mg suppression. Especially veterans who are fimiliar to the scenerios...okay the first couple round might initially take you off guard and cause the above effects, but after that you should be able to gather your witts and take cover, etc..

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-02-2011, 02:02:05 »
^Yeah but your not going to be "blind" do to Mg suppression. Especially veterans who are fimiliar to the scenerios...okay the first couple round might initially take you off guard and cause the above effects, but after that you should be able to gather your witts and take cover, etc..

Exactly.  And blinking is already modeled ingame, haven't you guys had your official FH2 brand "eyelid" adaptors installed over your eyes?  I did long ago.

The best way to improve suppression is simply to return to what it was in 2.0, back when it worked.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-02-2011, 05:02:12 »
I already said it, doable and works too...,

Make blur bullet-based, not gun based i.e calibre of bullet sustained by frequency.

then make that exposive effect that causes blur also cause slight camera shake aka twitch, increase the intensity and frequency as more and bigger bullets fly by - so that at totally suppression, you get:

1/ disorientation aka blur
2/ inability to return fire i.e camera shake.

and presto, suppression works. And the twitch was suggested by Natty, so its very possible - and acceptable, if you can simply run the idea home.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09-02-2011, 06:02:06 »
If only the suppressive fire shader could be linked to the cone of fire and deviation system... *sigh*

Offline theUg

• View Profile
    • http://theUg’s sump
« Reply #9 on: 09-02-2011, 06:02:56 »
Just make it like PR does, works wonders. Or even like FH2 was few patches ago, before they nerfed supression.

I don’t know, but I’ve been told
Shooting things is gettin’ old
Hug a child and plant a tree
Show some hospitality

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09-02-2011, 06:02:03 »
Just make it like PR does, works wonders. Or even like FH2 was few patches ago, before they nerfed supression.
You know the one you see in PR it's from Fh2 2.0...

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09-02-2011, 07:02:53 »
thats the obvious and imo, wrong way to go. Suppression isnt about blinding you and definitely not with that degree of blur. Thats overdone. And btw, PR's suppressive effect is NOT from 2.0. Looks totally different.

if your memory isn't serving you, look at the training vids for FH... THAT was 2.0. Theirs is more 'solid', completely removing everything you see - Ours is blur.

Current suppression, I think, is fine. Just needs to be at bullet-level so it becomes a practical team tactic.

Blur disorients - But that's not what causes you not to return fire, its your fear to fire back and the involuntary actions that make it such that you can't trust yourself to safely

So we have disorienation blur, but not exaggerated, and we have twitch so your aim is thrown off. Also, I think the devs might want to look at whizz and dirty kick sounds. The crack sound we have is when the bullet flies by. What we need more of, is the sound of a bullet actually hitting the earth close to you. It should be more insistent that the dust-particle sound we currently have for that. A player needs to realize how close he was to gettin hit.

And so, with only subtle effects, as this is a game, we will still achieve total suppression - And it will be based on suppressive fire, not suppression guns - You need to actually keep the dude under fire with enough guns, or enough firepower and that would take real skill - Not just a limited kit.
« Last Edit: 09-02-2011, 07:02:43 by djinn »

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09-02-2011, 11:02:29 »
You know the one you see in PR it's from Fh2 2.0...

not really, PR one is way more saturated :P

Offline Sgt.Radman

• View Profile
    • Why Should I?
« Reply #13 on: 09-02-2011, 12:02:25 »
If you look at other games like CoH or BiA you see that you need several guys to start shooting at a target to suppress it. And of course logic tells you that also. So suppression fire is something that needs to be used tactically. Not a feature you get by having a big gun.

BUT ... in the interest of gameplay and fun, suppression fire should be achieved by a single "group" (read : MG gunner) in the path of survivability since LMGs got their nerf in accuracy.

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09-02-2011, 12:02:01 »

Exactly.  And blinking is already modeled ingame, haven't you guys had your official FH2 brand "eyelid" adaptors installed over your eyes?  I did long ago.

The best way to improve suppression is simply to return to what it was in 2.0, back when it worked.

I don't see why the blurr would be more realistic. You don't catch myopia everytime you are under mg fire, do you ?

Anyway, twiching is the best imo. Suppression would happen way more often than in PR, so ugly screen spam like the blurr should stay out or as it is now...