Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 180201 times)

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #990 on: 17-02-2011, 23:02:12 »
Gulliver's Travels

Really really bad. All the way through. Had its moments of course, some parts you giggled at. but even in comparison to the usual Jack Black movies, this was really bad.
The ending with everyone, Gulliver and the lilliputians, singing "War" and dancing speaks for itself.

2.5/10
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: 18-02-2011, 00:02:44 »
macgruber!

funniest b-comedy I've seen in a while, well, at least since last time I saw it.

The Legendary MacGruber. Former Navy SEAL, Army Ranger and Green Beret. Served six tours in Desert Storm, four in Bosnia, three each in Angola, Somalia, Mozambique, Nicaragua and Sierra Leone. Recipient of sixteen Purple Hearts, three Congressional Medals of Honor, seven Presidential Medals of Bravery and starting tight end for the University of Texas, El Paso.
« Last Edit: 18-02-2011, 00:02:46 by Kev4000 »

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #992 on: 18-02-2011, 14:02:59 »
I had just watched Cube too last week. I like well made, low budget, high concept, "written & directed by..." movies like this. One set, a couple of actors and a story. Cube's director made Splice last year, which was a cool one too.

And thankfully there is an audience for Macgruber. As a Saturday Night Live fan I really wanted to like it but, considering the source material, I found it to be simply not that funny. It had it's moments, but overall it was that typical SNL-skit-stretched-out-faaaaar-too-long-misstep they made a lot in the 80's and 90's. But since it's a parody of a show from that era maybe it's intentional.  ;) Hot Rod did a far better job, imo.

But, to stay on-topic:

Ôdishon/Audition [1999]
I'm a big fan of Japanese director Takashi Miike (Ichi The Killer, Shinjuku Triad Society, etc.) but I had never watched this 90's classic before. Had it in my collection for years but heard it was one of those "uncomfortable viewings" so I kept postponing it. Apparently for no reason because when I finally sat down to watch it a couple of days ago I loved it. :)
Without giving away too much plot, it's about a timid middle aged man who decides to get remarried, seven years after his wife died. He and his friend decide to organize an actress audition for a part in a movie (they both work in the film industry) so that he can meet classy women while avoiding the tiresome bar-scene. He manages to hook up with one of the actresses, the shy and stately Asami (Tokyo Gore Police's Eihi Shiina) and they start to date. But, being that it is a Takashi Miike film, it's also the start of a surreel powergame between man and woman, with a surprising outcome.
This movie is a textbook case of how to build tension. The director knows what he's doing: the viewer gets lulled into a certain comfort level watching what apears to be an endearing rom-com, when halfway through the tone shifts. Besides that the movie looks beautiful and the 2 leads both deliver strong performances, with Shiina stealing the show and easily becoming a genre icon. Really well done. ****
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #993 on: 19-02-2011, 00:02:29 »
Hot Rod did a far better job, imo

Hot Rod was great, that's how a typical "SNL movie" should be

Good laughs, beautiful girl and a fantastic soundtrack (Europe and lots of now geeky 80's tunes!)

The trailer says it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PlrxUzKYoI

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: 19-02-2011, 19:02:32 »
Tucker & Dale vs Evil (2010): 6/10

Two hillbillies are on their way to vacation in the woods when they encounter coincidentally a group of college teens on spring brake. Of course the two hillbillies are considered being weird mass murderers and thus matters are running their course.

The first 40 minutes of the movie are awesome. It is a great satire on modern Horror, thus you can consider it some sort of Comedy Horror. Could be rated 10/10. But then it turns into some Horror-Action-Lovestory, as the widely drawn circle closes and everything comes to a good end. Even though a bad black-humor ending would have been ten times the better. I'd rate the latter 40 minutes 0/10.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1551238169/

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: 19-02-2011, 20:02:38 »
The dark crystal 8/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzgVPB5dpgg

Awesome film but i guess it's because it's from my childhood.
Personnally i feel muppets or mask better render reality that full 3d.
Maybe i miss those films which were using muppets because 3d effect were too expensive.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #996 on: 20-02-2011, 03:02:26 »
Zombies of Mass Destruction 7/10
Freakin' LOL'd

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: 20-02-2011, 05:02:26 »
Outpost. 2008.

Horror film with secret nazi bunkers, nazi zombie-ghosts. Great plot, shows a group of mercenaries arriving to a Underground Complex to find out what i believe its "Die Glocke" and then bad shit happens.

9/10, some fake WW2 Era film with 3d Animations fucked it up a little :o

Its in YT

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #998 on: 20-02-2011, 10:02:14 »
Never heard of that one. More zombies ? ::) But, sounds interesting.

Babylon BC. Weird hokum. What were they thinking ? There was a good scene with them camping in the snow looking up at the aurora but otherwise it was just a lot of wasted well done effects, and sadly wasted actors like the actor who plays the The Merovingian in The Matrix and Diesel who does his usual gravelly voiced thing. But Diesel can do much more than this. Look at him as Riddick or in the Pacifier

The dark crystal 8/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzgVPB5dpgg

Awesome film but i guess it's because it's from my childhood.
Personnally i feel muppets or mask better render reality that full 3d.
Maybe i miss those films which were using muppets because 3d effect were too expensive.

No, its not just your childhood. Very high quality children's film, but also with a surprising amount of depth to the story for the adults and bright youngsters. Who can forget Fizzgig and the Podlings ?  ;D
« Last Edit: 20-02-2011, 10:02:57 by DJ Barney »

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #999 on: 20-02-2011, 16:02:39 »
Død snø 8/10
Hilarious.

Stone of Destiny 9/10
« Last Edit: 21-02-2011, 00:02:17 by The Warrior (CnJ) »

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #1000 on: 22-02-2011, 12:02:01 »
PARADOX SOLDIERS
-------------------
3/5
-------------------
Two muscovites, and two pro-SS Ukranian teenagers get thrown back into WWII in a time travel accident.  All backed with typically Eastern Block heavy metal ballads.

This is my first Ukranian film - I enjoyed it, although pathetically low budget it did pull it off a million times better than some of the other shite I've seen recently.
There is very little story other than "these 4 kids who like fucking sexy bitches and fighting each other take part in a WW2 reenactment and get thrown back in time to the real Battle of Brody in '44"

If you want answers to how/ why they get thrown back in time, or even how the fuck they scientifically get back without creating a paradox... you'll be disappointed as this is never explained. And the fact that time travel in the Ukraine seems to be a casual 'erra-day' thing is breezed over with yet another hair swinging rock ballad.

But,... like I said, if only hollywood would make these kinds of films again instead of the normal 'how much money can we make out of this one' attitude that it currently has attached to every script.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Capten_C

• Well well well well well well well
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #1001 on: 23-02-2011, 23:02:17 »
The Illusionist

A young boy falls in love with a girl that is way above his social standards along with the art of magic. Although the parents forbid them of seeing each other they cannot be split apart. Until one day they were found together and the boy was sent off. He became a magician and traveled the world. She fell in love with another man, the Crown Prince. The two got engaged but the boy, Eisenheim, finally meets back up with the girl and uses his

Happened to record it Sat night as it was starting, just watched it earlier. One of the best films/plots I've seen in years, my how I laughed at the end twist, just like the chief inspector character!  ;D

Epic! 10/10  8)

*Did I mention that Jessica Biel is in it also? Hot stuff!  :P
« Last Edit: 23-02-2011, 23:02:24 by Capten_C »
LEGENDARY FORGOTTEN HOPE 2 ROUNDS!!! >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xtJF9fL1YI

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: 24-02-2011, 09:02:05 »
The Illusionist
Happened to record it Sat night as it was starting, just watched it earlier. One of the best films/plots I've seen in years, my how I laughed at the end twist, just like the chief inspector character!  ;D

Epic! 10/10  8)

I second that. It's a great movie with Edward Norton (2nd favourite actor after Christian Bale)! You should not miss it. Got the DVD right here. ^^
I also loved the inspector in this movie. :)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: 24-02-2011, 13:02:19 »
The Illusionist

Epic! 10/10  8)

I second that. It's a great movie with Edward Norton (2nd favourite actor after Christian Bale)! You should not miss it. Got the DVD right here. ^^
I also loved the inspector in this movie. :)
You got good taste in actors, the same top 2 for me
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: 24-02-2011, 13:02:35 »
You got good taste in actors, the same top 2 for me

Great! :)
Did you see Rescue Dawn? That was one awesome performance on his part there. :)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off