Author Topic: Axis & Allies  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Patchman123

• View Profile
Axis & Allies
« on: 21-10-2011, 05:10:14 »
Any of you guys play the board game Axis & Allies?

As you well know,
it is a strategy game that takes place in WWII where players decide the outcome of WWII by playing at Soviet Union, Germany, and United Kingdom, and United States.

The new game Europe 1940 takes place in 1940 where France is overrun during the first turn. Players collect bonuses called national objectives. Germany gets a 5 Industrial Production Certificate (IPC, the game's currency) bonus for taking the Caucasus oil fields.

The Soviet player gets a 5 IPC bonus for taking an original German territory and holding on to original Soviet territories like Eastern Poland and the Baltic States. They lose the bonus if foreign units are on Soviet soil during the game, which is ridiculous because there were foreign units on Soviet soil like the the RAAF 455 Squadron and RAF Squadrons in Soviet territory.

Japan collects a bonus for owning the East Indies in Global 1940, with Europe 1940 and Pacific 1940 combined as one game. All it is is combining the two game boards into one.

Any of guys ever played it?

Offline spartanlegend

• View Profile
Re: Axis & Allies
« Reply #1 on: 21-10-2011, 07:10:48 »
Europe 1940 + Pacific 1940 played together is sheer awesome epicness.

I don't mind the national rules as they are meant to capture the overall historical objectives and issues of the nations. The Soviet rule is meant to force the Soviet player to try and fight their war alone without Allied intervention which is historically the position of the Stalinist state. They did receive support particularly in material but it wasn't politically or even physically possible for the Allies to send many actual military forces to Russia. Of course in the older games I've seen the German player fight a Red Army with a U.S/British airforce which is just getting silly, so this change is great. 

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-10-2011, 09:10:53 »
Let us see the checklist:
A game about WW2 - check
A game older than 20 years - check
A forum ful of WW2 fanatics - check
why on Earth would you think that anyone here hasn't played it at least once. ^^
The correct question at the end would have been: Who here hasn't played Axis and Allies yet? ^^

Anyhow, it's an ok game, but does tend to draw out too long for my taste.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #3 on: 21-10-2011, 09:10:16 »
A&A and other board games goes here - http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=3702.0

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-10-2011, 09:10:19 »
I havent  :-[ It's a tough game to find here.

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21-10-2011, 16:10:03 »
I've never even seen the game... i've seen the name somewhere tho.

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #6 on: 21-10-2011, 18:10:18 »
The correct question at the end would have been: Who here hasn't played Axis and Allies yet? ^^
I haven't! :p

I'd love to but there are two problems: 1: copies are expensive and 2: I'm not sure my wife would be hugely keen on playing and I don't really know anyone else who lives near me who would. I already have Tide of Iron, Duel in the Dark and most of the WW1 Wings of War series and despite a few games of each I haven't really played any of them much due to a lack of willing/interested opponents. :(

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #7 on: 22-10-2011, 02:10:56 »
  I own a couple of them.  Though my WW2 fanaticism only started with FH so most we bought in the last couple of years.  We have the original and the Normandy one.  Good fun!
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22-10-2011, 11:10:30 »
I've played it :) I own the D-Day version as well, but haven't played that one yet.

If you're looking for a nice WWII boardgame I recommend http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22-10-2011, 13:10:39 »

I haven't. I've seen the game lying around in a shop though.
But getting the game is not the problem ... getting somebody motivated to play it with me is  :P

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #10 on: 22-10-2011, 13:10:17 »
But getting the game is not the problem ... getting somebody motivated to play it with me is  :P
Maybe we should have an international FH forum meet-up just so we can all play Axis and Allies :p

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22-10-2011, 14:10:23 »
I've played Axis and Allies with buddies before, but the real fun time with the game was playing the Hasbro Interactive versions on the PC. We had a bunch of games going, and guys from Teamspeak were joining in.

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22-10-2011, 14:10:17 »
http://www.e-warzone.com/aa-info-downloads
There you go. A&A for PC (its free, no piracy n shit)
You can play it online, though its buggy as hell. Anyway, try it out.
Not as awesome as a board game, but still very enjoyable.
If yo want just the game you need full starter pack, If you want to play online you also need to download WarZone installer.
« Last Edit: 22-10-2011, 14:10:09 by Musti »
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #13 on: 22-10-2011, 20:10:36 »
I've played Axis and Allies with buddies before, but the real fun time with the game was playing the Hasbro Interactive versions on the PC. We had a bunch of games going, and guys from Teamspeak were joining in.

You fucking assholes never invited me!
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650