Author Topic: Aircraft gunsights  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Gunnerz

• View Profile
Aircraft gunsights
« on: 11-01-2010, 00:01:13 »
Hello im Gunnerz, and i am a newbe on the forum, but ive been playing FH1,2 for a while.

(Dont know if this was posted before)

FH2 is great and flying rocks in FH2. The planes look good, sound good, and they handle like they should.

But ive got a suggestion for the aircraft gunsights:

A less zoomed gunsight, and it can help finding targets faster.
It also prevents you from crashing into tries, buidlings etc, because you are more aware of your position compared to the ground.

I find that when shooting at ground targets unzoomed, you cant shoot very accurate because there is no aiming point. And when useing the zoomed sights, when attacking groundtargets, i cant see where im going, most of the time flying into tries, mountains, teammates etc.

Here's a Ju87 stuka gunsight from il2.  
« Last Edit: 11-01-2010, 00:01:41 by Gunnerz »

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
Re: Aircraft gunsights
« Reply #1 on: 11-01-2010, 00:01:30 »
That explains why I was still alive after 5 successful strafing runs on El Alamein today! No trees, no mountains = win! :)

on topic: I approve, having a nice overview while still knowing where I'm shooting might be good (but I'm lame pilot so anything that may improve my experience is welcomed by me even if I'm being obviously short-sighted because it would also affect those guys always chasing me, haha).

Offline Gunnerz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-01-2010, 00:01:32 »
your right about alamein.
good flying map. nothing but sand and camels.

Offline Venous

• Wawawewa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-01-2010, 01:01:15 »
I think its fine as it is, you just have to get used to it.

Offline Gunnerz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-01-2010, 15:01:30 »
A "zoomed" aircraftgunsight Its not very realistic, as most pilots will always keep an eye on their speed, and altitude gauges, even when engaged in a dogfight.

You simply need to be able to see where your going, in order to get a clean kill, and to prevent a crash while maneuvering violently during a dogfight.
With the zoomed aircraft sight its like shooting someone at very close range with a sniperrifle, who is bunnyhopping.

Unzoomed you dont have anything to aim for. Its like guessing where your bullets would land while strafing enemy ground targets, or while engaged in a dogfight. Those flakguns dont give you a second chance.

You need godlike senses to be able to stay alive for more than 5 minutes.  :o

« Last Edit: 11-01-2010, 16:01:41 by Gunnerz »

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-01-2010, 15:01:06 »
I support this. I don't fly much, but sometimes when I do, I really find it hard to aim as your view of surroundings shrink to 1/4 while aiming. Also when attacking ground targets, I never sights, just becouse of reasons OP told.

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-01-2010, 19:01:33 »
Thumbs up!
I'd rather play Kimble with my ass!

Offline Rage51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14-01-2010, 04:01:08 »
Certainly the 'zoom' in is unrealistic and maybe could merely have simulate concentrating/aiming like the iron sights on PR where your peripheral vision is reduced as you concentrate on your sight-target relationship. As there is no 'scope' there shouldn't be a magnified zoom.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14-01-2010, 15:01:47 »
Certainly the 'zoom' in is unrealistic and maybe could merely have simulate concentrating/aiming like the iron sights on PR where your peripheral vision is reduced as you concentrate on your sight-target relationship. As there is no 'scope' there shouldn't be a magnified zoom.

No matter how concentrated you are aiming, you still would see if you are crashing into something  :-\

Offline Rage51

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14-01-2010, 21:01:00 »
Never commented on that but there is actually a syndrome well known to experienced pilots where when strafing, green pilots become too focused on the target and not what their plane is doing. This is what is happening to plenty of you (and me) ingame. This is why we pile into terrain, we're not experienced fighter jockeys after all! The human, especially males become focused/fixated on one thing and without training we would fall foul in RL as we do ingame to crashing.

What you see outside of the cockpit through the glass is basically what view they had, some types not much (190), some like the Mustang far more.

I'm no pilot but practising looking left and right, recon the maps properly (as pilots do using air photos/mapping pre-mission) and even when chasing an enemy plane/target keep your situational awareness alert to fighters on your tail, AA, terrain, etc and you should minimise crashes. Real pilots still do and always will crash too after all!