Author Topic: Hearts of Iron  (Read 25558 times)

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron
« Reply #150 on: 16-10-2011, 18:10:50 »
btw, the Darkest Hour AI is really what an AI should be like - they are much less prone to encirclement and likes to encircle you. The vanilla AI is just a joke.

Yeah, I have usually played armageddon or arsenal of democrasy. This was actually first time I played DH for real and I was suprised how much better and more fun the war was. In Hoi2 AI just want's to keep straight line and push forward in line, while in this france game for example, AI moved pretty much like I could have moved. They used every breaktroughs to push a lot of armor behind my lines and starter encircle me in larger scale, cutting my whole front from supplies few times. I also can't remember ever loosing any divisions to AI in HoI2, while during this game I lost over 10 divisions permanently.

Oh and french planes rule, I honestly think I could easily have lost this war without my 4 tac bombers and 12 interceptors.

airpower is the key to win in DH (unless you have already steamrolled your enemy, factories whatever regenerates quite slowly so if there is no airpower all the ICs would be ruined... The DH AI also would use logistics strike/runway cratering to ruin your day. (As Germany the brits bombed by Level 10 airbase to 0..., effectively wrecked my fighter org regeneration)

The AI is surprisingly good in the sense that I lost my first campaign to the French as Germans (In regular HOI2 you could win with less divisions because the French don't reinforce Belgium). But in the 2nd attempt I kicked his ass so badly (and as well sunk most of the Royal navy with my battleship/battlecruisers, and defeated Stalin in 3 months). So it is the time to try very hard and try to lose the war in 1945 :P ... As Stalingrad is possible in DH...

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 16-10-2011, 19:10:04 »
Started a game as Italy in Arsenal of Democracy + CORE.

Had an aggressive foreign policy, and was very Italian that I started wars even though I was horribly under prepared :P

Made an alliance with Austria, and then attacked first Albania in Dec 1936, then Yugoslavia in Jan 1937. Almost immediately Romania, Greece & Turkey declared war on me. But I had about 40divs going against the Yugos on two fronts, and almost 200 ships to keep my coasts clear. War was going slowly but surely my way. Then Germany DoW'd me...

I'd taken about ½ of Yugoslavia when the Alpine front collapsed, and I started a frantic rush towards the coast to evacuate my divisions with my 3 transports.

Ended the game in June 1937 with 50 divisions holding the line against the Germans in Venice & Trento, + 3 divs keeping a foothold in Albania. Austria was annexed by the Germans. The Reggia Marina had sunk most of the combined Yugoslavian, Greek & Turkish fleets.
« Last Edit: 16-10-2011, 19:10:37 by Paasky »
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 24-02-2013, 14:02:20 »
Necro-Bump!

Anyway, the mother of all encirclements:

http://youtu.be/gyJ9guexT70?t=16m44s

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 24-02-2013, 17:02:05 »
That encirclement is... like a dream haha.

I still remember my first MP game on HoI III, me as Germany and my mate as Italy.

Incredible, yes, but he lost the war against Ethiopia, he couldn't understand why his troops were without supplies and a single Ethiopia unit could defeat a bunch of Italian divisions, so he kept sending more and more units, big mistake, by 1938 he had to evacuate the whole place.

It took me several years to get rid of France, i had to go all the way down south because of that river by Paris. Then i discovered a way to manage my units and sent an entire Army Group of Mechanized and Panzer divisions along with my Italian allies down to Ethiopia, after conquering Yugoslavia, Greece, Turkey, Syria and Iraq.

Ethiopia didn't lasted long against this overwhelming army.

We got Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil and Chile into the Axis, i invaded Yemen and Oman just with paratroopers launched from Somalia. Later on we moved into South America, my buddy sent tons of units to assist Brazil in conquering Venezuela, once we finished there it was our newest member. I captured Batista's Cuba with just Fallschrimjager Divisions, evacuating them from the Island was a pain because it has no airport :| One Central America country was neutral, Guatemala, and it was influenced by the allies, the rest were members of the Allies, Colombia fell and Costa Rica followed soon, not long after Ecuador surrendered, i started to influence Guatemala in order to keep them out of the Allies, for obvious reasons. At the same time, British/Australian/French/Belgian/South African forces launched a offensive in Ethiopia, our forces were out of supplies and we had to retreat for a bit, Von Manteuffel was the German commander in there. Not even our mighty brigades of MAUS could stop this.

Guatemala joined the Allies and a massive army of US divisions stormed South America, in just one month, we lost Colombia and Venezuela (Ecuador was occupied by the Italians who managed to survive the encirclement) but we managed to stabilize the front by Suriname and then we stopped playing.

Offline Damaso

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 27-12-2013, 23:12:47 »
Ok so:

I builded like 2 full marine divisions in portugal, so i may start my invasion to cuba.

They finished to be produced on the production screen.. but now i dont find them anywere!!!

This thing is pissing me off: creating the units, and dont find anywere on the map! I DONT SEE THEM!

So: what am i suposed to do? what should i do to see them on the map?

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 28-12-2013, 00:12:26 »
You need to deploy them first. There will be a new icon under your flag in the upper left corner where you can select which of your units to deploy.

Offline Damaso

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 28-12-2013, 01:12:52 »
Thanks  ;D

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 28-12-2013, 11:12:00 »
They finished to be produced on the production screen.. but now i dont find them anywere!!!

They are actually loaded and stored in your industrial cargo space. The size of the cargo space depends on the industrial capacity.

In order to produce goods and products your industry needs raw resources, which are usually transported by truck, train (and ship). Ore gets transported to the steel mill, the steel gets transported to the weapon manufacturer, and then, finally, the weapons get transported to wherever you want them to be deployed.

Your industry maintains the required amount of cargo vehicles by default. If you do not deploy the weapons now, they are kept in the cargo vehicles.

This means also that your industry got less cargo vehicles available for transporting their freshly produced socks to the naval base where they are needed badly for the crew in some smelly submarine.

Thus keeping units undeployed hampers your ability to supply units in the field. Instead of 100%, you only might get a supply rate of 70%. The only pro about this is, that the undeployed units do not waste supplies at all.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 28-12-2013, 12:12:47 »
I did not know this. thank you

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 28-12-2013, 13:12:05 »
I have the german language versions of both HoI 2and 3 games. How can I change the language to english?
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 30-12-2013, 05:12:28 »
The fight for survival goes on.

On 20 March, 1947, Zara was captured and now the target was split. In desperation, the Allies tried to relieve Split by launching almost suicidal attacks, all halted by the German divisions in the area.

On 22 March, Soviet troops began pushing the Heeresgruppe Mitte back, two of it's army corps held their ground remarkably, these being the LII. Armeekorps and the IX. Armeekorps. I moved them back, allowing the Soviets to gain ground but retreating to gain time.

On 23 March, German forces began their assault on Split, the desperate Garrison fights for three days while I suffer attacks from the north, in a attempt to open a gap and allow the Split garrison to escape.

26 March, Split fell, 35970 Soldiers just disappeared from the map. A strategic victory in the Croatian front, but there is no time for celebrating, we must go on.

http://i.imgur.com/xNV6mez.jpg

30 March, Minsk is empty, no German units in the city. This is the result of total chaos during a powerful Soviet offensive against the Heeresgruppe Nord and Heeresgruppe Mitte. Later on, after several counterattacks, which were costly, I was able to reinforce Minsk.

April 2, German vanguards have reached Drubovnik and proceded to surround the port, which was left undefended. This is a clear sign that the Allies lack reserves in the area. After taking Drubovnik, the Allies are now left to one port, Tirana. I must plan yet another offensive to take this port, launching attacks from the north and east, with the I. SS-Panzerkorps leading the assault from the north and trying to link up with Armee-Abteilung B attacking from Bulgaria.

http://i.imgur.com/fmTjGqM.jpg

April 5, Fighting around Minsk. The Soviets are closing in from several directions, the City is now occupied by German forces.

http://i.imgur.com/RxdG1A2.jpg

April 8, Soviet forces launched their offensive on the city of Minsk which will last until April 19 with the withdraw of German forces from the city. Situation of the Croatian front.

http://i.imgur.com/qSNCeHS.jpg

April 17, German forces (Panzergrenadier Division Großdeutschland) 45km from Tirana but unable to attack, outnumbered.

April 20, Soviet offensive against the Heeresgruppe Mitte and Heeresgruppe Nord, with the 3. Panzerarmee and 19. Armee suffering the most. This offensive is most likely not to be stopped any time soon, the Heeresgruppe Nord faces a great danger (Courland Pocket, historically) and most of the units from said armies were completely smashed by the Soviets. Once the Soviet Machine starts rolling, it cannot be stopped. The Soviets are most likely to advance that far before being stopped either by a miracle or by something else. There are little reserves available and not a single of them is in that area.

http://i.imgur.com/MxYEf8R.jpg

Army Groups and the areas they control by 22 April.

http://i.imgur.com/xePs1A1.jpg

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 30-12-2013, 06:12:57 »
You cannot hold back against the might of the USSR forever!

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 30-12-2013, 11:12:17 »
Oh god the geographical blasphemy those provinces are

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 31-12-2013, 19:12:58 »
Oh Christ how I'm going to stop the Red Wave while preserving Manpower?!

With Fortifications, I hope, or peace? Impossible, game says that it's a war between factions and it will only end when one destroys the other.

So I was thinking of Fortifications, to be accurate, defensive lines. My territory do have some fortifications in some areas, while in others there are just no defenses at all.

Maybe it's too late, but I was drawing a plan that contains all lines that I plan to build.

Starting from the east, we got the Danzig-Krakow Line, a long defensive line which runs trough the River Vistula, this will be the very first defensive line the Soviets will come across.

Konigsberg Line, I don't think it will ever be finished, but I still planned it. The idea is to create a defense around the important city of Konigsberg but also protects Memel.

We got the Kolberg and Meritz-Stolp Lines, these two are more or less to perform delaying actions, by this stage the whole army would be in retreat, some units will run back towards the strong Oder Line while others will perform delaying actions in both Kolberg and Meritz-Stolp lines, allowing the units in the Oder Line to have time to deploy, dig in and reorganize.

Next we got the big one, the Oder Line, this heavily defended line will protect the Reich from the Soviet human wave. It will work as a stopping line, to halt the Soviet advance completely. Two big Armies will guard this line by that time, and with mobile reserves on the rearguard to counterattack if the line is broken in a particular area. Further behind, these units that have suffered horrendous losses in the Eastern Front will try to build up strenght, protected by the Oder Line.

We got the group of Berlin defenses, Zickau-Lubben Line links up with the Oder line and works with the the Dresden Line to protect Berlin's southern flank, while in the north the Rostock Line will try to prevent any Soviet advance towards Denmark or to make a enveloping action around Berlin from that direction. These, along with the Berlin-Nord Line, Berlin West Line A and B complete the Berlin Defenses.

Hermann von Salza line is the second biggest defensive line planned, already built by the Czechs years ago, I only plan to reinforce it. It protects the Southern Reich, including Praga and it's defensive lines. If they break trough this line, Czechoslovakia and Austria will be in danger.

Vienna-Nurnberg line is the last defensive line before Austria itself, it's not top priority along with the Munchen line, as I consider these lesser lines.

http://i.imgur.com/DgnkQon.jpg

However in the Eastern front, things are looking quite historical. The Soviets are launching a strong offensive against the Army Group Centre, which in real life was the target of Operation Bagration, as you know Bagration pretty much destroyed the entire Army Group Centre and isolated the Army Group North. Saving the differences, first being the date, I might fall have the same destiny the Germans had in 1944-1945, at least in the Eastern Front. These are crucial hours.

A defeat here will destroy my Heeresgruppe Mitte, cut off the Heeresgruppe Nord and allow the Soviets to make a run towards the undefended Berlin. Mitte's 9. Armee and 4. Armee are in great danger, totalling 158.000 men are close to be trapped in a pocket. The loss of these two armies will make the Heeresgruppe Mitte a weak combat force. I've rushed elements of the 2. Armee to cover the 4 and 9 Armies retreat, while in the north I'm setting up positions around Kaunas and moving reserves to stop the Soviets in central Lithuania. I've also moved my small transport fleet towards Memel, to prepare if I need to slowly evacuate units from Riga. They are dangerously close to Prussia, just 94km from there.

http://i.imgur.com/RQV2ZMh.jpg

Have a nice New Year :)

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 01-01-2014, 16:01:35 »
Happy New Year to you too.

1st, isn't constructing of the land forts to a reasonable level (5+) going to take just too long? From what I see, you have a chance to make the Oder line work if you stop working on all others and cut your panzer-making IC budget.

2nd, I don't know how to make HQs other than new Corps HQs when I detach a unit from its former hierarchy.
So the question is, how do I make "army", "army group" and "theatre" HQs? Could you enlighten me? Because for now I have OKW (originally Bitburg HQ) and Berlin HQ with 6 Xs and "Heeresgruppe C" (Originally Wien HQ) with I think 5 Xs.

3rd, How, for Christ's sake, is your national unity 88%? I'm at 1944 and my national unity is 55% and dropping, and I'm not even at war with the soviet union!