Author Topic: A few annoyances in my favorite game.  (Read 3973 times)

Offline hslan.Faust

• View Profile
    • hslan
Re: A few annoyances in my favorite game.
« Reply #30 on: 20-10-2009, 17:10:19 »
exactly
Was kümmern den Wolf die Flöhe!

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20-10-2009, 18:10:45 »
Good to know for me either, clarifies things and makes it easier for us hslan-regulars to help out stranger not being sure about how to handle this subject (when no admin is online, and I can't remember when I last joined the server and humbug was not online  :P ).
So, thanks from me as well.

Offline hslan.totaler_humbug

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • hslan
« Reply #32 on: 20-10-2009, 21:10:47 »
Good to know for me either, clarifies things and makes it easier for us hslan-regulars to help out stranger not being sure about how to handle this subject (when no admin is online, and I can't remember when I last joined the server and humbug was not online  :P ).
So, thanks from me as well.

Haha
We need to be able, to throw Thermos out of Spotterplanes.

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20-10-2009, 22:10:40 »
exactly

Thank you for clearing that up. A little frustrating on some maps, but I understand the need for a blanket rule. Maybe the serverrules on loading should be made slightly more specific, for example putting 'THIS INCLUDES ATTACKING ARTILLERY' somewhere?
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21-10-2009, 00:10:48 »
Seemingly-arbitrary ruls never sit well with players - Like Natty said, blame the game - I think the engine is very capable of protecting artillery from people firing like that - And if it doesn't, well the server has to step in, but it will always have issues

Personally, I feel smaller artillery, especially those close to the front like mortar should be fair game while... well, actually all guns should be fair game, dammit - If you want arty that can't be hit, we already got commander artillery which is supposed to be too far to hit... If the guy sits on it and you can see him, bloody shoot him already - He is one the 64 players, is he not.. then why the special treatment - Its not like the Storch or commander station has special protection from shooters... Drop arty on that bastard and his radio frags him... same goes for arty... And carry some sachels while you are at it - Blow that mother up, now don't you ;-)

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21-10-2009, 12:10:05 »
I don't see hslan using a "seemingly-arbitrary" ruleset, especially not in the sense "baseless". Faust gave a good argument for why this is forbidden on the server, so wheres the problem?
Each ruleset is arbitrary to some point, it's their server at last. And it doesn't seem that the players don't get along with it. The majority of players on hslan behaves very well, you only got the obligatory tk-for-sniper now and then, which is usually adressed in an appropiate way.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 22-10-2009, 07:10:53 »
Not that they ARE arbitrary, but I can see how some may feel they are - Like, 'I can go this way' but the game says 'don't'... Why?

I feel the ideal would be, if you can physically do something ingame, then you should be able to, amd you should... THe limit should be from the game itself...

Offline Smiles

• FH-Betatester
  • Boooo Auto-Spot! Booo
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 22-10-2009, 13:10:55 »
Bullsh&t I think this particualair rule is made for the ridiculous fps pc gamer sometimes can be. Why is it a problem you get killed when you spawn? It IS a war game, a base never is a safe home, arty shells raining continuesly day in day out. No his cannot be recreated by the fh devs in this type of gameplay.But what in gods name is the problem that if someone took the effort to take a jeep, drive it accross the map and hides under a tree shoots a guy in main? Will this be gameplay effective like that the one being "spawnraped" are not being able to capture any of the flags? Or might it be that particulair team is just excisting out of noobs who where hoping to get a tank or jeep and drive quickly to somewhere else, doing the exact same only not on an uncapturable base.

I can remember being pissed of because someone shot me in mainbase while i was trying to get a tank i was driving al allong, but i missed it since i died again. Is this the problem? Your not safe getting your favorite tank/jeep or airplane?

I remember too sniping on siege of tobruk as a german, and i accidently sniped the same guy 3 times on the left side of the first line of flags. This guy (i think he hangs arround on this forums, bl[_]e coed or something) was going pretty much beserk cause i was spawnraping him( remember, left flag 1e line, not main base last line) odd i think.

It might be that we are having lots of youngsters with a lot of hormones and inpatience to incappicitate the next guy with his uber l33t kubelwagen. But for fuck sake, stop complaining about getting killed in mainbase, or the same guy who is shooting you over and over again. It means that your team is not doing its job and you are facing the consequents. I would be very sorry if the devs would agree with this part of the community and making it forbidden(ofc devs words are gold). I like the blue and red line marking you cant go there depending on wich team you are, in some particulair maps. On luttich for example you wouldnt be able to drive a tank out because of all hedgerows and the fog.
( and ofc tanks with HE shells in mains are wrong, just like arty )
I'm taking my own freedom
puttin' it in my song
singing loud and strong
proving all day long
I'm takin' my freedom
puttin' it in my stroll
I'll be hop-steppin' y'all
lettin' the joy unfold

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 22-10-2009, 13:10:07 »
@djinn
I see what you mean, but there is no ingame-limit for teamkilling either.
Servers are run by different communities/clans who simply have different opinions on what fun and fair play is. People playing on their server have to understand that they have to follow their rules, and the rules on hslan quite perfectly fit my idea of enjoyable and fair gaming. I don't necessarily think it's bad to kill artillery standing in front of the mainbase, but as faust said, the problem is that it may be hard to differentiate between this and basecamping.
I repeat, I do understand what you do mean and it is not all wrong, but I don't feel it to be overstretched on the servers I've played on.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 22-10-2009, 16:10:35 »
On some maps, I know that each side's arty is in range of each other. Is it permissable to rain arty fire on an enemy mainbase arty position? I've been on the receiving end of it and, while it's annoying, it's actually quite counterproductive to keep doing it, as you're denying the enemy use of their artillery instead of providing your own troops with artillery support.
I'd say you could.

Basically I'd allow any option open to you: Strave the enemeny main base, fire your rifle at it, rain artillery on it.  If the maps allows for it, go for it.  Sure enough maps migh need to be tweaked so a uncapturable main base has AntiBaseCamp (ABC)  code and/or that arty can't target it but that's  problem with the map design then (wish can be reported here in the forums, the feedback section).

Basecamping is lame, base camping as in driving your tank into an enemy base and spawn camping the hell out of it.  But with ABC a mainbase *should*  be partialy protected so it isn't a total spawncamp fest (people can still spawn in all or part of the base and grab a vehicle) and may or may not have more then one exit route. If all routes are covered and no one can leave the base... tricky but I suppose it's fair deal, your team got owned and now is going to be obliterated, the tickets should soon run out with total enemy control of the entire map anyway.