Author Topic: New to the game  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Sten-bullets

• View Profile
New to the game
« on: 11-05-2009, 21:05:12 »
Hello All

As you can see I'm new to FH2 and I have some general questions.  I've been playing project reality lately and so I'm used to a fair bit of voip chat and orders being issued.  In my fairly brief experience of FH2 everything seemed pretty chaotic.  I realise that the fact that I'm new is part of the reason but I just wondered if some fireteams/teams really worked in an organised way and communicated?  I love the whole WW2 thing and I have a strange fascination with universal/bren carriers so I really want to enjoy it.

Cheers

Sten

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
Re: New to the game
« Reply #1 on: 11-05-2009, 21:05:21 »
Look out for squads named "Teamwork" or similar.
You're right however, sadly there aren't a lot of squads with extended teamplay-organisation and even less with VOIP using. Just check all squads, or maybe open up a VOIP squad or similar.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-05-2009, 21:05:56 »
Like Schneider says. When there aren't any squads called Teamwork, join any, and ask for orders (Press T and then select New Order). If the squadleader doesn't respond, you can always switch squads.

In the end you can always create your own. Be sure to give it a teamwork-like name ;)

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #3 on: 11-05-2009, 21:05:41 »
I have to say that in my entire FH2 career, I have never heard anyone use voip.  This could be due to some problem on my part that makes me deaf, or I'm not in the right squads.  It all looks chaotic because you were on the only consistently populated server - i.e. everyone from the teamplayers down to the vBF2 lone wolves is on that one server.  After a while though, you should come to recognise a few names of good players to squad up with.

Generally though, just try to stick to where your SL is, even if they are acting a bit odd.  And if they go mental, you can allways try starting a voip squad like Schneider said (I'm sure some people would join it).

And on the off topic of bren carriers: have you tried rolling one over and using it as a short lived pillbox?  Its fun (but hard to do right).

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-05-2009, 21:05:27 »
About the chaotic parts, there are a few people who play who are just . When they show up on ther servers, I just leave. I should probably write their sames down. But with the release of 2.2, you can just tell there'll be a whole bunch of playing on servers everywhere.

By the way, what is the projected player numbers for when 2.2 is released?

Offline Sten-bullets

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-05-2009, 21:05:50 »
Cheers for the comments gents.  I'll be sticking with Fh2 to see what it has to offer.  The very fact that I've had these intelligent replies is promising.  To be honest, looking at the high quality of the mod I'm surprised there aren't more busy servers.  Project Reality has quite a lot and it really is quite a tough game to get the hang of..i haven't totally managed it by any stretch of the imagination.  This seems much more accessible.
See you

Sten

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #6 on: 11-05-2009, 21:05:38 »
If the public games keep disappointing you, join a clan or a tournament. Then teamwork is more like on the publics of PR.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11-05-2009, 21:05:21 »
There are co-operating squads and squadmembers and some make even use of VoIP. As others said, look for VoIP- or teamwork squads.

Though I must say that I'm not making use of VoIP. But if you keep playing for a bit, you'll pretty quick realise which teammates provide help and teamplay, which squadleaders do a good job and what you as the single squadmember are supposed to do. In the end with some training it is an automata that barely reqires communication at all. Looks and individual behavior at the moment are louder than words then.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline verg_6

• Crusader MkIII for life (Until 2.2, that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11-05-2009, 22:05:50 »
From what I've gathered over the two months or so I've played, teamwork is quite uncommon. Lone wolfing is the way most players go it, and some are forced to adopt the same tactics until they can find someone else who's willing to form a team. You just have to be patient and keep searching.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11-05-2009, 22:05:22 »
I'd tone that down a bit, like others already said, with some time you'll figure out which players are good SL's/teamplayers and which are not. I'm generally always open for both teamwork and voip, and a lot of guys are good teamplayers too, take alone those in this thread, Eat Uranium, Dukat, Fuchs, and a lot of others, with the time you will learn these guys and find out who you can come along with quite nice.

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #10 on: 11-05-2009, 22:05:39 »
Hi Sten :)

I'd like to welcome you to the community and hope to see you active both here and on server :)

Like has been stated befor, try and look for squads with names such as Teamwork or 8th Army (I think) or look for players you recognize from the forum, or recognize from previous experiance.. If non exist, look for teamplay score in the squad, it sometimes help :)

If you ever find me lone-wolfing around the map somewhere, don't hesitate to shout out and I'll join up in a teamwork squad :)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11-05-2009, 23:05:19 »
Sten-Bullet check www.forgottenhonor.com they play organised with strategies in historical timeline campaigns. It is a unique gaming experience, they just started a new campaign!

They have battles 6 hours each Friday night, with practices in the week... Visit the site!  8)

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #12 on: 11-05-2009, 23:05:06 »
If you ever find me lone-wolfing around the map somewhere, don't hesitate to shout out and I'll join up in a teamwork squad :)
Or engage in random sniping games ;)

You should pick up how the games works and what to do on each map quite quickly (though I'd suggest opening a local server to explore Fall of Tobruk).

Luckly, bad players don't tend to hang around for long.  A ban from HsLan is practically a death sentence these days.

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #13 on: 11-05-2009, 23:05:50 »
Sten-Bullet check www.forgottenhonor.com they play organised with strategies in historical timeline campaigns. It is a unique gaming experience, they just started a new campaign!

They have battles 6 hours each Friday night, with practices in the week... Visit the site!  8)
Or alternatively (or additionally!) take a look at http://www.bfewaw.com/ for more massive organised battles ;)

Oh, and welcome to FH2. It's always nice to see new players :)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12-05-2009, 00:05:55 »
Teamwork, imo, abounds in FH, if you know what to look for.  If you ever see me ingame, tag along with me.  Even if I'm alone, I still don't lone wolf, so if I get people with me, we always immedietly go over to tactics....  Squads under my command have brought destruction and victory to many a map (don't wanna sound egotistical, but it is true, as many 130th members could attest...).