Author Topic: BF2 Engine  (Read 5893 times)

Offline Cpl. Mallard

• Proud owner of an SMLE Mk.III*
    • View Profile
BF2 Engine
« on: 10-05-2009, 06:05:10 »
 I'm going to have to stop going to suggestions forum, i get depressed by seeing so many peoples dreams crushed because "the BF2 engine doesn't support it." Well, besides better graphics than BF 1942, what the hell  is BENEFICIAL to FH from the BF2 engine?
"And on the sixth day, God saw the need of a high powered rifle that could slaughter Germans at ranges in excess of 2000 yards, and so He created the Lee Enfield. And He saw that it was good, and so on the seventh day, God rested."

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
Re: BF2 Engine
« Reply #1 on: 10-05-2009, 07:05:48 »
Combined Arms battles. Big Maps.Quality of Models etc.

Offline FlyGuy45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-05-2009, 07:05:09 »
Hitbo....
Foliag....
Fog Qualit....
Ragdol....
Airplan....
Destroyable terrai....

I have no idea, tbh.

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-05-2009, 08:05:41 »
Even though many things are hard coded i still think its the best suited engine for FH2 as said above.

Offline Waw_Slayer

• FHing since 0.7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-05-2009, 09:05:01 »
Even though many things are hard coded i still think its the best suited engine for FH2 as said above.
Theres 2 kinds of hardcoded stuff. Stuff that are major changes in the BF2 engine and stuff that are hard to code.
Your listening to psychedelic radio, todays topics; Weed.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-05-2009, 09:05:31 »
Theres 2 kinds of hardcoded stuff. Stuff that are major changes in the BF2 engine and stuff that are hard to code.

Hard coded are things that cannot be change in the engine.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline fh_spitfire

• Developer
  • FHer since 0.6 | aka spitfire05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-05-2009, 09:05:45 »
Yep, to make things more clear, as there seems to be little confusion, you can't change ANY part of the engine. We use "hardcoded" term to describe things that are set-up in engine.

Offline Fenring

• Developer
  • Retired FH2 developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-05-2009, 12:05:27 »
Well the criticism against bf2 is not always totally fair but in some cases justified.

Some advantages of bf2 engine (theres much more):
Normal maps
Maps support 6 detail textures instead of 1
Superior road system
Terrain is more detailed (x2 instead of x4, see gazala for good example, one of our maps is even x1!)
Terrain supports side tiling (steep heightmap sections doesnt look stretched)
Undergrowth and overgrowth
Better and more professional level editor (when you learn the workflow)
Higher poly counts
ironsights is fairly easy to implent
Superior lighting system
Fake ambient lighting and point lights
ENV maps/water puddles
Supports panoramic skyboxes (much easier to work with from designer point of view)
Supports zoom for tank sights
Supports windows vista + punkbuster (and hopefully better with 1.5)
Different map sizes
VoIP and squads
Better fog system
Weather and wind system

Som disadvantages of bf2 engine:
Problems with largest map size (4x4km)
Tank physics (altough they will be improved in 2.2 thanks to kev4000)
Plane physics (nuff said)
Large ships wont work good
minimods doesnt work as easy
Bundlemesh transperacy is fubar.
+ some more  :P
« Last Edit: 10-05-2009, 12:05:40 by Fenring »

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10-05-2009, 14:05:09 »
Weather and wind system

So, will we see it raining on some maps?

Offline Fenring

• Developer
  • Retired FH2 developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10-05-2009, 14:05:27 »
Yes we already have a normandy map with rain on it.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10-05-2009, 14:05:55 »
Villers Bocage?

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10-05-2009, 15:05:57 »
Wohaaa  :o
That sounds amazing. Thanks for the information.  :)

Offline bosco

• View Profile
    • Project Reality
« Reply #12 on: 10-05-2009, 15:05:55 »
Pics or it didn't happen  ;D ;)

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10-05-2009, 16:05:59 »
Just like BF1942, it is taking me time to dig deeper into the engine and see just what it can do. In bf1942's case it took me at least 3 years of tinkering with different code to learn how useful it could be to do such things as, 3d Ironsights, Animations, Distance Sounds, Random Soldier Uniforms, etc. But once I figured it out I was happy and made my own little miniature mods to satisfy my craving for such things. In BF2 i've spent long points of time working with code which I don't see featured in the Vanilla Version, to see if it does have effects on anything. One in particular is the Randomize Geometry code, which although I've had no success implementing it with soldiers yet, I hope to soon.

BF2 is good for a good many number of reasons, the first and most recognizable being that the Graphics Engine was updated, and allows for a much more diverse set of graphics techniques than BF1942, my personal favorite being Normal Maps. Its Animation system is far better as well, including a Camerabone, and unlinking the right hand from the weapon, to allow for both hands to be used in the Animation, instead of just the left one like in BF1942, which is a godsend to modders. Even though I don't like the tools for importing and exporting as much as I did bf1942's tools, they still get the job done.

BF2's map editor, as was mentioned above is a lot more useful than bf1942's was, while someone could get talented at the bf1942 editors and make some really amazing looking maps, the BF2 editor just allows a mapper so much freedom, with roads, undergrowth, overgrowth, the more detailed heightmap's and better texture painting, so that they can make visually stunning maps on a new par than bf1942.

BF2 also has ragdoll files which are fun to tinker with, and some very useful Soldier modification code which can increase a soldiers speed, how high he can jump, how slow or fast he crawls or crouchs, whether or not he can shoot while jumping or sprinting etc. And I find this great fun to mess around with when I'm making a single-player mod for myself.

While BF2 doesn't seem to support Serverside mods as openly as BF1942 did, it is possible, and I can expect to see some Normandy maps modded with extra vehicles in the future, and with Patch 1.5 it seems that some Hotfix problems are finally being resolved, so the future looks pretty bright for BF2, regardless of some of the beloved code that was removed between the 2 games.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10-05-2009, 16:05:22 »
Btw, IIRC correctly, BF2 singleplayer mode has / has the opportunity of having weapons of shot soldiers falling down in a physical correct way, right?
Is this not in MP because the somewhat older BF2 engine can't handle as many physic objects as newer engines do?