Author Topic: How I died.....  (Read 2845 times)

Offline pheeph

• View Profile
How I died.....
« on: 03-04-2009, 02:04:08 »
Another thread related to the "Unfortunate Moments" threads I made in the past.

I remember this one bit when there was the first version of FH2.

-I fired a rifle shot at this one Axis player and missed.  He tried to fire at me but missed.  I immediately armed my knife and charged at him.  The Axis player, of course, saw me doing this so he backed away from me while he armed his bayonet.  Then he was ready to fight me as it became a knife vs. bayonet fight.  I managed to win the fight.... but then got shot by some other Axis player...

-I was a commander in the Allied side in Gazala.  I went into the armored car to direct artillery and such.  I thought I was safe in my main base, but I was wrong.  I wasn't aware of an Axis player sneaking into the main base since I was busy staring at the map.  The next thing I knew, I was shot in the head by the Axis player's Luger.  As it turned out, I forgot to close the metal plating on the windows and windshield.

azreal

Re: How I died.....
« Reply #1 on: 03-04-2009, 02:04:04 »
lol, I've been in a few of those bayonet fights before. I usually end up loosing tho :(

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03-04-2009, 03:04:49 »
I was in one of those narrow allys on Sfakia, with a few other teammates. Well, there was a German hiding behind a wall type area in front of us. The problem is, if we had popped up to fire, he would have killed us. So, I had the idea to throw a grenade. It was a good idea at the time, but somehow, when I threw the grenade it bounced off an upper balcony of a house, which then bounced the grenade to the opposite side of the street, causing it to then land behind me and my teammates.

I guess you knew before you were halfway through the story that I ended up TKing a bunch of people... and killing myself.  >:(

Offline altfuture

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03-04-2009, 04:04:31 »
In Sfakia, I was riding a bike downhill from road to the square town, and at one point enemies started to shoot at me. There was a slope in the asphalt looking like a good cover at the time, so i stopped, jumped of the bike, and lied down in the slope trying to locate the enemy firing direction.

Unfortunately, my bike started sliding sidewise toward me but I haven't noticed it on time. There was no time to manouvre, bike squeezed me up to a house next to the slope, and killed me !
BRAINFORCE squad

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03-04-2009, 05:04:14 »
Well actually I'd like to tell how I didn't die!
Today we had a nice round of Crete, we (Axis) won safely.

Now how didn't I die? I almost died three times by getting overrun by a Junkers!

Well, you might say: "So? The starting Junkers almost everytime overruns someone!" Ha, yes!
But I wasn't overrun by them at the airfield, but on different spots on the island.

1. quasi-death incident: My squadleader orders me to cap the rearguard. I am on the airfield, so I grab an ammunition truck and do a turning maneuver on the airfield - just to see a ju52, landing, 50 meters in front of me, fast, low. I hit the gas - but damn, I can never make it out of the radius of its giant wings. Then, a second before I die, I see my only chance - a giant, 2 meters deep crater, I turn left, hard, dodge into it and jump out on the other side half a second later - half a second in which the junkers wing skipped my truck by a few inches. Heidernei!

2. quasi-death incident: We have crossed the hills between the airport and Chania to take the city. The edge of the city seems calm, so I grab my carbine, jump out of my cover and run for it, straight to the port, two meters from the waterline, down the beach. As I hear something - loud, deep, roaring, from my left side - I stop, inmidst of open field, watch the sea - and a Ju52 is LANDING, in man deep water. I think "god, it'll be slowed by the water and sink", but no, I see the wing furiously coming towards me, eager to crush my head - and I hit PRONE PRONE PRONE and dodge the wing a quarter second before it breaks my skull. My squadmates laugh at me, but I'm alive!

3. quasi-death incident: I'm at the very southwestern village (forgot the name), at the north-south street in the western part of the city. Damn, I could swear I hear that roaring again - I do! Turning around, AGAIN, a Ju52 floating in, landing some meters in front of the houses, slowing down in front of me, it's wheels on the road a meter below me, it's wing in knee height - so I jump! And I land on the wing, being carried away another meter or two before the Ju52 stops a few inches infront of a house.

That was cool. I didn't play so good in that round, died several times, didn't make much points. but these three action made it great for my gaming experience.

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03-04-2009, 05:04:13 »
Heh, killed by a bike.  ::)

FH 0.7, Wake island. The United States Marine Corps.

The situation was dire. The Nipponese had pushed us back to our base in F4, but our defense was strong, our guns ready, our valor undaunted, and our marines vigilant. We had beaten off wave after Banzai! wave of those nips, mining their trucks, sniping their riflemen, and taking cover during their frequent bombing raids. Then, suddenly, we hear a low droning and see a G4M2 'Betty' Bomber coming in low and slow. A bombing raid, we've done this before. But then, to our horror, we see it going lower and slower, and touching down. It taxis towards us rapidly, hits one mine, two, three! No visible damage. Machine guns blazing away, we valiantly try to destroy it, but we have nothing but rifles and ineffectual mines. Those devious Japs! They followed up with an infantry assault, and despite all of our courage, we could not defeat the guns on that Betty.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline Cadyshack

• Nanananananananana
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03-04-2009, 07:04:24 »
Custom map in a WaW battle:

I was on a flag with a nice, castle-like, structure to use as a strongpoint, and we had a glorious Lafayette. So I set her up and eventually get to let loose on the enemy div staff squad rushing through the door. Yay for me!

They obviously know I'm there, but my reflexes should keep me safe here, so the new spawn comes in; one guy crawls out to get a shot on me, the sights are on him, I squeeze, a good 10-20 rounds fly from my deadly mounted Mg34......

......2" in front of the guy's face into the dirt. He then proceeds to calmly rifle me. In the close range I was at, the gun convergence with the sight did not match as the sight was mounted over the gun a good ways.

Another custom map: (Oil Farm from the WaW map pack, loadout modified for a battle)

I was manning a deployable mortar behind our lines. Tactics in this time was down to special kit stealing. If the Allies would steal my kit, our mortar would be out of action for quite a while even if multiple were able to spawn.

So two Allied raiders find me and wait to see if I notice, which I eventually do. I stay put. It seems they are beginning the process of putting me out of my misery when I notice one staying quite close to me.

I get a devilish idea; point the mortar as low as she can go and I try to line up the circling guy. He eventually stops and I let fly.

All three of us go up in a nice, mortarific explosion. And we get our kit back quickly.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03-04-2009, 13:04:58 »
i always love those "double" kills
when you fire your rifle and your target does to and you kill each other.
even better in knife fights
and still better running towards a guy with a bren, strafing left and right while fixing your bayonet and he is insanely firing at you. then you stab him and he shots you at the same time. priceless !!

best scary "death" lately was on an undisclosed map in a test session
spawning inside a crowmwells hull MG as here charges through open field somewhere in normandy when all the sudden a freaking tiger drives through the hedgerow 70 meters on front of me. i was so scared i screamed like a girl in teamspeak and almost soiled myself.  :o

Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Kurb King

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03-04-2009, 18:04:45 »
Was from FH1 Gazala.  A Brit was camping in the cliffs right by the axis base in a tank.  I sneak up and drop a demo pack, it goes off and starts his tank on fire but not destroying it.  He bails, I run up with shovel, after a few second of dancing around trying to stab each other we both slide down the hill.  I finally land a good chop with my shovel to kill him at the bottom of the hill.  I was pretty satisfied I took out the camper but then his burning tank on the top of the hill explodes and the burnt out shell rolls down the hill and lands right on top of me killing me.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03-04-2009, 18:04:06 »
Dieng because the own Italian grenade landed too short is frustrating :(
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Biiviz

« Reply #10 on: 03-04-2009, 18:04:17 »
I died in your arms tonight...

(I also keep getting run over by my own Kübelwagen.)

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03-04-2009, 20:04:03 »
Speaking of Wake Island in 0.7...

Was anyone there for the epic Wake game (years ago by now) when there was a glitch where the US Submarine had been sunk but troops could still spawn on it? This was definitely my favorite FH/ FH2 experience EVER...

So the US team is getting their asses kicked on Wake and of course, we lose ALL of our flags on the island. At this point the Japanese are just cleaning up and searching for the last survivors. I finally die and dismally wait for the game to end... just when I realize that there's actually an available spawn on the map. In complete disbelief, I realize that it's our submarine. So, thinking that I must be dilusional, I spawn on the submarine, only see my ENTIRE 32 MAN TEAM sitting on the deck! Just picture that -- 32 (give or take) players sitting on a submarine deck. It was fucking hilarious!

For some reason, the sub had already been "sunk" but its wreckage was still there and people could still spawn on it. We all started tautning the Japs, who at this point, were having real trouble finding our team. Suddenly, I hear the drone of an airplane. Sure enough, a Zero spots us out there in the water! It must have evoked a sense of disbelief and hilarity as the pilot surely saw so many people on the sub deck that we must have looked like ants.

I was armed with a BAR at the time and I immediately went prone. The plane came in for its first run and strafed the shit out of our poor derilict sub. The scene was pure chaos... bodies went flying (from the 20mm cannon) and the entire left side of my screen lit up with death messages... but I survived! There were still about 25 of us left, and the next time he made a pass we were ready. The plane turned around for another pass and when he was in visual range everyone on the ship opened fire simultaneously on the plane -- a MASSIVE hail of fire. Before the zero could even get a burst off, he caught on fire and drifted into the sea. What was even better was the pilot actually bailed out (!) and when his chute hit the water it was a hilarious to see like 50 bullet sprays around the guy.

We continued to survive like this for like 10 minutes until, finally, tragedy struck. The glitched wreckage suddnely wasn't usable as a spawn location and short afterwards the wreck just disappeared altogether, dropping all of us into the water. While we drowned several Jap planes would take turns strafing us in the water until every man was dead. I was luckily killed by a 20 mm cannon shot and didn't have to suffer the humiliating defeat of drowning after surviving all of that.

Such an epic moment!!
« Last Edit: 03-04-2009, 20:04:45 by Hockeywarrior »

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline hall0

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03-04-2009, 20:04:12 »
Played as english soldier and was almost dead, so i decided to threw a smoke nade to have some cover but i  killed my self with this nade  :-[

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06-04-2009, 04:04:51 »

FH 0.7, Wake island. The United States Marine Corps...

Speaking of Wake Island in 0.7...

D'oh! I forgot, this is in the "How I Died" thread, these posts are invalid:

U.S. Marines don't die, they go to hell and regroup.  ;)
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06-04-2009, 14:04:43 »
Enemy infantry in front of me, I duck behind cover and decide to throw a grenade at him. Think I was Engineer or Recon or something and I saw something that looked very much like a grenade in my inventory. Hit 4 (at least I think it was 4) - nothing happened, grenade or whatever it was hadapparently been assigned to some other key. I frantically tried several keys, going "c'mon, grenade, select the grenade, heeelp!" until he worked up the nerve to advance and kill me.

The joys of being a beginner in a game.