Author Topic: Singleplayer in Forgotten Hope 2.46 - 2.48  (Read 26466 times)

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Singleplayer in Forgotten Hope 2.46 - 2.48
« Reply #120 on: 23-11-2014, 06:11:27 »
Thanks, but I would say, it's more like a shepherd of God's creatures (more accurately, of certain Scandinavian gods' creatures) :P
Sadly, very often bringing light by saying "Let there be light" is not in my power

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 12-01-2015, 21:01:26 »
Question for the SP developers - is there going to be any changes to the bot accuracy?

I really enjoy playing maps like Operation Cobra and Meuse, but I find that that bots are too accurate with their bazookas and it seems like every third GI-bot ends up as an anti-tanker. Also, the GI bots are much more initiative while on the German side you end up doing all the work.
« Last Edit: 02-03-2019, 08:03:45 by nysä »

Offline JG400

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 13-01-2015, 22:01:12 »
I have a different take on bazookas.  When I play the Meuse River map, the bots seem to be too accurate and then miss regularly.  I remember driving a Panther down the street to the commo HQ and I had two American bots at the end of the street firing bazookas at me.  Both missed.  Later I saw an American bot take out a Jagdpanzer with a long range bazooka shot.  These are just a few examples.  I find that the disparity adds to the realism.  It's literally hit or miss, pun definitely intended.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 13-01-2015, 23:01:55 »
My experience with bazookas tends to match that of JG400, they are rather random in the hands of AI bots to be a major annoyance. The thing is that the weapon, together with the panzerfausts and panzerschrecks, has huge accuracy (deviation) penalties if fired unaimed, without the right click zoom. So, since we can't make the bots always zoom before shooting the weapon, very often you  can see fireworks shows over the map with rockets flying in random directions.

... Operation Cobra and Meuse ... every third GI-bot ends up as an anti-tanker.
You are right - the current settings of the AI kit limiting system on those maps are about one third of each team having AT kits, but that number also includes the "engineer with explosives" kits. Without the explosives kits it's about 5-6 bazookas per 32 bots team. Are you suggesting further limiting them?
« Last Edit: 14-01-2015, 01:01:20 by gavrant »

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 14-01-2015, 17:01:48 »
You are right - the current settings of the AI kit limiting system on those maps are about one third of each team having AT kits, but that number also includes the "engineer with explosives" kits. Without the explosives kits it's about 5-6 bazookas per 32 bots team. Are you suggesting further limiting them?

Gotcha, 5 bazookas sounds quite reasonable. How much the AI skills might contribute to this? I got mine set at 80% (or more) because this gives the AI tankers a bit better aiming. Maybe the solution could be less rockets, 2 was pretty much a standard.

On the other hand, the gameplay seemed more balanced when the Bazooka kit had a .45 cal. This makes me wonder, was the pump action commonly issued to the anti-tankers? From what I've read the M1 or sub-machine gun was preferred.

Offline tempest

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 14-01-2015, 20:01:52 »
Sorry if this has been already commented on (I gave the thread a skim!), but a thing I've noticed is that AI won't shoot at you if you are on a deployable weapon.  I've seen this with both the vickers and MG42, but haven't tested with the mortar.  For instance, on Tunis, I can grab one of the vickers kits out of the back of the British trucks at the start.  If I deploy and enter the gun, the AI won't pay any attention to me at all, and I can mow them all down.

I love the pickup kits but it's a shame that I get to cheat if I use one of those ones!  Is this something known/fixable?  Thanks for all your hard work :)

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 15-01-2015, 03:01:56 »
Gotcha, 5 bazookas sounds quite reasonable. How much the AI skills might contribute to this? I got mine set at 80% (or more) because this gives the AI tankers a bit better aiming. Maybe the solution could be less rockets, 2 was pretty much a standard.
My "development" bots skill is 60% (it allows me to concentrate more on testing), and the bazookas don't disturb me much with that setting. For "fun" playing I use skills around 80% too, but still would not consider the bazookas super-annoying.

Anyway, since the opinions are rather divided now, does anyone else have something to say on the bazookas balance, are they overpowered or not?

On the other hand, the gameplay seemed more balanced when the Bazooka kit had a .45 cal. This makes me wonder, was the pump action commonly issued to the anti-tankers? From what I've read the M1 or sub-machine gun was preferred.
The reason for adding the pump action to the bazooka kits was not the historical one, but this: at those times, bots frequently got frozen with the Colt, just standing still with the pistol in the hand and looking at the incoming enemy. So I decided to put a replacement weapon into the kits. The Winchester was chosen because:
- It's a pretty fun and unique weapon
- It has a longer effective range than pistols, but that range is still relatively short to be overpowered (at least, that's how I thought then)
- It's not featured in any of the stock, not pickup kits, so we don't have a chance to see bots using it otherwise.

Furthermore, on some of the maps with the US team on defensive - Ramelle and St Vith, the Winchester has been reverted back to the pistol because it proved to be overpowered indeed in those conditions. On the other hand, I'd like to leave it on the offensive maps, as it gives to the US team an additional punch.

Sorry if this has been already commented on (I gave the thread a skim!), but a thing I've noticed is that AI won't shoot at you if you are on a deployable weapon.  I've seen this with both the vickers and MG42, but haven't tested with the mortar.  For instance, on Tunis, I can grab one of the vickers kits out of the back of the British trucks at the start.  If I deploy and enter the gun, the AI won't pay any attention to me at all, and I can mow them all down.

I love the pickup kits but it's a shame that I get to cheat if I use one of those ones!  Is this something known/fixable?  Thanks for all your hard work :)
Yes, the deployable weapons are in a sad state in singleplayer now, with an anti-crash measure making bots die on entering and, as a side effect, making them also to ignore enemy deployables. The good news is that the next FH2 release will introduce a better deployable weapons system, with all the issues in singleplayer sorted out.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 15-01-2015, 16:01:06 »
Thanks for the answers gavrant.

Edit: one more thing, would it be possible to increase the StuH 42's damage value similar to the M4A3 105mm, e.g. one shot blows the hat off? Historically, when the StuG III Ausf G's were struggling to defeat KV-series in 1944, the StuH 42 could knock out pretty much any Soviet (/allied) tank from the distance of 1,200 meters. In the game the StuH 42 cannot KO out the Sherman Firefly from the flank, at range of 500 meters.

And the 88mm HE... now, if that could do more damage to the M4  8)

I really appreciate the work you guys do, the FH team always delivers.
« Last Edit: 15-01-2015, 20:01:40 by nysä »

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 16-01-2015, 01:01:36 »
why?

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 16-01-2015, 13:01:45 »
Damage systems is not really a singleplayer thing though. So better post that in the suggestions forums.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 16-01-2015, 15:01:40 »
why?

To increase 'Tigerphobia'. Different, timed fuse (the ZtZ) was required, but there could be an extra ammo slot? This could replace the absence of Pzgr 40, and it was certainly known for blowing the M4's turrets off.

Maybe this doesn't sound plausible, but thanks for listening.

Offline tempest

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 17-01-2015, 18:01:18 »
Yes, the deployable weapons are in a sad state in singleplayer now, with an anti-crash measure making bots die on entering and, as a side effect, making them also to ignore enemy deployables. The good news is that the next FH2 release will introduce a better deployable weapons system, with all the issues in singleplayer sorted out.
Yes, sometimes you have to do what you have to do to make things work without crashes!  It's interesting to know that the deployable weapons system will change a bit, I look forward to seeing that.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
Re: Singleplayer in Forgotten Hope 2.46 and 2.47
« Reply #132 on: 02-03-2019, 08:03:58 »
Oops. Sorry, mistake.

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #133 on: 02-03-2019, 10:03:38 »
Yes, sometimes you have to do what you have to do to make things work without crashes!  It's interesting to know that the deployable weapons system will change a bit, I look forward to seeing that.

Well this is good news ! I've often felt like helping with SP/Coop but have way too many other things that need my attention here. Will the sorted issues include the "Forgotten Maps" or are those strictly "fan made" so outside of core FH ?

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 02-03-2019, 11:03:53 »
Well this is good news !
This news is from 4 years ago, look at the date of the messages you are replying to ::)