Author Topic: 2.4 Performance boost?  (Read 923 times)

Offline KAIZER SOSA

• Comrade Kaizer - For Greater Glory!
    • View Profile
    • Community Moderator at Heroes & Generals
2.4 Performance boost?
« on: 17-07-2011, 02:07:51 »
First off kudos for the update. As a general newbie to FH2, I think its a great mod. Right, now to the point of the thread.

I was wondering if some sort of map optimization was implemented in these new maps because my performance is more stable since I installed 2.4. Usually in forested maps (no matter what game/mod) I see a slight drop in frame rate all the time as I have quite the crappy laptop which unfortunately is something I have to use in the mean time.

Seeing that the update focuses on the Battle of the Bulge (and knowing quite well this theater of war's environment)  I was ultimately concerned with my performance once released. Yet remarkably, it's incredibly smooth.

In maps like Bastogne and Vossenack I can enjoy smooth game play and be very much in the fight even in the most foliage dense areas. If this was something that was considered in the making of the new maps then I must say it works wonderful.

The only map before 2.4 that gave me frame rate issues was Ramelle-Nueville (I'm new so I haven't played on all the older maps yet) but so far, so good.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
Re: 2.4 Performance boost?
« Reply #1 on: 17-07-2011, 07:07:44 »
I noticed same  8).

I could play with higher settings, game looks better than ever AND my fps is higher than ever  ;D

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17-07-2011, 10:07:26 »
Have played some rounds, not too much because of exams, but I didn't notice a performance boost. More the opposite: On some servers it is unplayable, because of a big lag and my internet connection is not that bad (Meuse River on Hslan was a pain - I can't hit anything with my lovely K98). But on the other hand some rounds run smooth as hell with this incredible graphics (mostly on 762 :(). What I am wondering, why the performance is so extremely variable from very smooth to unplayable. ???

Think I have to test it out a bit more

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17-07-2011, 11:07:37 »
because you have a crappy internett connection... not because of the game ::)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17-07-2011, 11:07:15 »
Depends on from where you are.
Battlefield 2 plays really bad when the ping goes above 130ms
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17-07-2011, 12:07:28 »
nah, below 250 ping is fine.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17-07-2011, 14:07:06 »
I tested a bit with the settings. Seems that my PC is not strong enough for the new shaders in connection with the the highest AA setting. That was the main mistake. And as I wrote before, my internet connection is not crappy (I mostly have a ping between 30 and 50, because I'm from Germany ;)). So next time read my full post, before making such speculations as "you internet connection is crappy" please;)

Btw: I tweaked my settings a bit, and now everything works quiet well. But never the less it is time for a new graphic card to enjoy FH 2.4. in full settings. I could play 2.3. without any problems on highest settings, so I wouldn't call it a performance boost connected to the title of this threat.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17-07-2011, 16:07:26 »
FH2.4 will still look excellent. Why up the AA for no reason?
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17-07-2011, 21:07:34 »
weird. in my case, new shaders let me set higher AA than before, and I get average 5-10fps more now  ???

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18-07-2011, 00:07:29 »
FH2.4 will still look excellent. Why up the AA for no reason?

When I lower or switch off the AA, I get this terrible flickering of the environment. Now I play with 4x (don't know whether there is a big effect when on 8x, but had it for 2.3) and you are right, everything works good. But as mentioned before, it is not a real performance boost. Got to say, my graphiv card is an Nvidia 8600gts (512 mb), so it is not the newest model. But there is a noticable difference in playing FH 2.3 compared to FH 2.4 in highest setting. In 2.4 St. Lo for example is just not playable on highest settings, which was the case in 2.3. So as I mentioned, it still runs fine, but compared to 2.3 it is not a graphic boost for me. (System specs only as info: windows xp sp3, Nvidia 8600gts, amd athlon 6000+ and 4 gb ram).