Author Topic: Forgotten Hope Weekly Highlights  (Read 17424 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Forgotten Hope Weekly Highlights
« on: 25-05-2014, 13:05:12 »
I hope this gets stickied up eventually. What I want out of this thread is a running conversation about the highlights of the week on public servers.

Such as,
Which squad OWNED and how?
Which map was totally epic and how was that?
What exciting odd job did your squad get up to?
Who were the most notable players?
What were some frustrating scenarios and maps? Not the usual suspects. I want the specifics for this weekend.

So I begin.
Sadly, didn't note any outstanding players because I didn't play long.

Interesting yet frustrating scenarios were on Omaha, where I enjoyed my first ever first wave attack, and Tunis, where we quickly and coordinately took bases all the way to the market, then stalled at the last flag,
With squad leaders too excited to cap the final base and leading from the front into lafette mg fire OR like my particular squad leader, who had done a stellar job creating a forward spawn on the enemy flanks, decided to..., I dont know, go for a sandwich, and just lay in a door war, allowing us to spawn only one at a time, and watch our bleed from 450 down to 120 before we decided to create a new squad.

And yes, I TKed the guy before I created the new squad. im not proud, but at least I got him out of the doorway.m

On Omaha, it was similarly different. We captured the attack points easily enough, but seemed to run out of ideas capping the secondary bases and kept up the same failing tactic until our numbers run out.

Honestly, that map is easy once you stop the initial mgs, but there needed to be a clear strategy on a squad level that was lacking this time.

St. vith had a similar scenario. Can't understand why some squads just get created, have some odd guys milling around somewhere else instead of following the squad's attack, then when its time to repel the enemy they are standing in the rear contemplating their navals or something.

Odd jobs.
I had an interesting job on the 1st half of El Alamein, following my squad leader as a scout. We laid in the thin brush calling arty on Kidney ridge and spotting tanks until our armor coupd stewmroll the hill. It was like clockwork. The jerries did give us a bit of trouble taking the hill with infantry but calling in smoke and HE finally prevailed.

But like the past maps, our squad then decided to just stand around on the hill doing god knows what...
« Last Edit: 07-08-2014, 00:08:12 by djinn »

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope Weekend Highlights
« Reply #1 on: 25-05-2014, 14:05:29 »
The only problem of FH2... lack of leadership... A few charismatic SLs (yes even Damaso's Teamwork Dictatorialshipment squad can be an enjoyable experience) make the whole game a lot better and fluid.

But leading is hard, and old vets get annoyed fast if someone decides to step up, so most rounds end up with people derping around instead of giving a proper fight.

I suppose it's just like real life, without anyone to follow, people just give up or fail ! :D
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25-05-2014, 15:05:50 »
Some times, leading isn't from the front. Every time I'm with a squad without a proactive squad leader, I, or another vet steps up, he may not be a rally point, but he dictates the strategy, and most newbie squad leaders latch on to that and position themselves to be useful.

Still, I have a lot more fun, no matter how bad it gets, which is something that didn't use to be the case.
So things are improving.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26-05-2014, 03:05:25 »
I like this thread :) once I get my shit together with my computer I can start playing properly again and contribute to it. Until then I'll live vicariously through you guys ;) keep the stories coming, I like the After Action reports about how the rounds went.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01-06-2014, 11:06:38 »
How has been your experience with 2.47 this weekend?

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08-06-2014, 23:06:51 »
I was on fire on St Vith today.  Killing two half full Hanomags is a guaranteed score-booster.  Graf Radetsky was leading the squad and was usually in excellent flanking positions from which to spawn from, which gave his whole squad very easy shots.

Also, I am loving the new ragdolls.  Really makes the whole experience more immersive imo.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-06-2014, 07:06:56 »
Not this weekend but today. I got in a few rounds on my day off from work and some were pretty epic. The one that sticks out the most was Operation Supercharge.

The Turning Point
Our team had been pretty bad the last few rounds. No coordination, no real good SLers giving anyone orders or good spawn points. So Supercharge loads up and were on the German side. (normally Supercharge is pretty easy for the Germans, just keep a SLer in the 2 bunkers on the south flags and you can win pretty easily, so I'm confident we can at least put up a fight)

The rounds starts and I grab an MG34 and run to the bunker at Tell el Eisa, determined to slow the British advance even if my team can't coordinate. For about 5 min we're going pretty well. The British prod us with attacks and a few courageous one's peak their head into the cave only to be torn apart by the two 34s we have planted at the entrances. Then we hear over the radio that Tell el Aqqaqir is being taken. I open my map and no-one is there to defend it. It falls quickly and now were surrounded at Eisa with no Squad Leaders smart enough to stay in the bunker. Eventually British SLers did a good job of getting in position around the bunker and enough Brits poured in to overwhelm us. With no SLers in the area, Eisa fell with no counter attack. At the same time Sidi Abd el Rahman got steam rolled and we found ourselves backed up to Ghazal Stn.

At this point I decided to at least give one squad a good spawn point and I opened up a new squad. I jumped in the bunker at Ghazal Stn and waited for the British attack. The tanks were moving across the desert pretty easily. They had plenty of tickets and momentum left to steamroll us back to El Daba. Our Pz IIIs and IVs weren't good enough to get on their flanks and stop the advance.
Then I saw squad 7 open up in Rahman. I forget the guys name but he was on the outskirts of Rahman, surrounded by advancing tanks and infantry and letting the 2 or 3 ppl in his squad spawn on him and advance. I figured he'd die pretty soon and we'd be left with our back to the wall but the British advanced too fast; as my squad and the rest of the team held off the advance at Ghazal, squad 7 got into the cap at Rahman and took the flag back.

It was awesome to watch them, for a while it was just their squad, no tank support or anything for about 5 min holding off the British that were now caught in a pickle between the two flags. Eventually the rest of the team advanced through the confused Brits and the whole team was able to push up on Rahaman. The British momentum was lost and at the same time they lost most of their tickets in the confusion between Ghazal and Rahaman. They still had a chance to push but now the entire German team was on Rahaman with squad 7 and my squad providing spawn points. The rest of the Germans now had the opportunity to push out and sweep through the town. The British could never gain their momentum back. Their attacks were sparse and ill timed. With only about 100 tickets left the British made one last push and overwhelmed us at Rahman. But with the bleed, there was no way they were going to win. We fell back to Ghazal and held off the remaining desperate tank advances till the round ended and won a hard fough victory. :)

Supercharge is a pretty German favored map to start, but given our teams level of coordination at the beginning I was really impressed with how we changed the tide of battle and won. All it took was a few good SLers to stay alive and provide some good spawn points. Not to mention the one extremely brave and well placed squad 7 that we owed the entire round too.

Just another epic FH round 8)       

Offline The Nanny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-06-2014, 13:06:28 »
Adding to Matthew_Baker's post...

So I was on the axis team for the battle he's talking about, and his account is pretty accurate.  I was doing my usual spotting work from the fringes, trying to let the team know what is on its way and where.  After the caves were lost, I tried to lead a recovery effort but I failed miserably when I set off some Boo mines right before capping...epic fail on my part :)  ;D

So then some guy starts Squad 7 to take Sidi.  At that point, the allies have the bunkers and it is clear Sidi will be the Alamo if the axis have any chance.  No need for the subtle scout work any more...this is gonna be a street brawl.  So I join his Squad 7 and help him cap.  I don't know how he managed to stay alive to that point, and I wish I remembered who it was.  Now, the allies throw everything at Sidi, and with the exception of a couple of useless arses in line waiting for planes (if you find yourself in line waiting, you are a leech on the team...go play IL2 for a better flying experience  ;D cause you'll be more useful to us there), all axis runs to Sidi.  For the next 20 minutes Sidi is a smokey chaotic mess.  You can't move, everything is being shelled and naded.  You can't see through the smoke.  I just hide in a corner of the rubble and shoot anything that happens to stumble in front of me.

Some battles I feel like I contribute and make a difference to the win (even with my shitty k/d ratio), but this battle I was pretty much useless cannon fodder, but it was, as Matthew_Baker described, a hell of a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: 10-06-2014, 13:06:14 by The Nanny »

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10-06-2014, 17:06:11 »
Awesome read Matt & Nanny, could totally visualize that game!

God I love FH... Where else can you get this type of experience? WHERE?!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10-06-2014, 19:06:23 »
I can only second that! I am usually not a gamer at all. I would not play computer games before I discovered the greatness that we call Forgotten Hope. I am planning on posting a new topic containing a plan on how to secure and, eventually, raise player numbers. See, FH2 is mostly appealing to "History People", e. g. re-enactors, collectors and history professionals who mostly do not partake in gaming at all. FH2 already has more older players than most other FPS games, it being focused on realism and historical accuracy. Immersion mode was a step in the right direction. We need to market FH2 to the aforementioned target group, since they are not even aware of it's existence and would greatly rejoice in playing it, not to mention that they would make a very loyal fan base.

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10-06-2014, 20:06:22 »
This immersion mode would be more cool if you couldn't disable it...  ::)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10-06-2014, 20:06:09 »
FH2 is at it's best when it becomes absolutely cinematic. When you survive situations which you thought you were going to bite the bullet the moment when first shots were fired. When you see your friends die around you as you hold on to your cover and try to survive. When you see planes strafe the enemy or see artillery barraging enemy positions. When tanks roll unopposed through the scarred battlefields only to find themselfs ambushed and wiped out.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11-06-2014, 03:06:42 »
 Team Stacking & Admin abuse is getting to epic proportions on 762.

:-\

Edit: Not ALL admins abuse their abilities, mind you, but the stacking is universal.
« Last Edit: 11-06-2014, 03:06:57 by Jimi Hendrix »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11-06-2014, 05:06:15 »

Edit: Not ALL admins abuse their abilities, mind you, but the stacking is universal.

I haven't seen any team stacking since 2.47 personally. Although when teams do become unbalanced (when good players like Koenig and Sarcorgesi want to be on the same team like they're joined at the waist) there are never any admins on to mix up the teams in between rounds. As a result one team gets dominated for 5 rounds while the experienced players (who know who the other experienced players are) join the team to be with the other experienced players. And the newer guys are left wondering what happened.

Offline The Nanny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11-06-2014, 05:06:10 »

I haven't seen any team stacking since 2.47 personally. Although when teams do become unbalanced (when good players like Koenig and Sarcorgesi want to be on the same team like they're joined at the waist) there are never any admins on to mix up the teams in between rounds. As a result one team gets dominated for 5 rounds while the experienced players (who know who the other experienced players are) join the team to be with the other experienced players. And the newer guys are left wondering what happened.

As a new guy to FH2, I've been experiencing the butt-end of this alot...getting ripped by a stacked team, with the double fun of heaps of abuse as I stumble through the learning process.  A certain amount is to be expected.  But I see alot of players get ripped for asking basic questions, not be because they are stoopid but because they are new. 

"Dear Experienced Players: you need the new guys to stay and feel welcome to pad your stats.  Be nicer."

An example of how to do it right is when we new guys are on a squad with Stalkker.  He explains what is going on, what you need to do, and why you are doing it.  It is like an on-going how-to commentary.  And when we mess it up, he doesn't insult or rip us.  As a result, we learn, stick around, help populate the servers, and still become fun cannon-fodder for stat-padders.  Everyone wins :)