Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 180713 times)

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #330 on: 23-12-2009, 12:12:08 »
Alien is awesome. Maybe the best horror-thriller ever made. Its not much of a "plot" , but its pure. Spiced with the "evil" company and its orders , a cyborg that goes bad and stuff, its basically about surviving against this murderous creature , alone, billions of miles in the deepest space. A great setting, kinda like the 2nd part of 2001 A space odyssey. It also describe the mood in the ship very good. I also like how it starts quiet and everything is a routine, and then the trouble appears, and in the end people just run around panicked in an inferno of smoke and alarms (without making it James Bond-ish), desperately fighting for survival against a horror of an unknown specie. I know many disagree, but for me Alien is a piece of art.
    I cant find anything to complain about and think i would give it :                             10/10

Offline Invincible

• Armyyyyarrrrrr!
    • View Profile
    • Javelin Photos
« Reply #331 on: 23-12-2009, 12:12:37 »

First 3d film for me in years.. I never seen something so sharp and breathtaking.
For the movie, I like the details, storyline is ok, and the effects are pure awesome.

9/10
"If I advance, follow me. If I stop, urge me on. If I retreat, kill me."

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #332 on: 23-12-2009, 13:12:57 »

9.9/10

Only because nothing can be perfect.

Amazing CGI. You honestly forget that you are watching computer generated characters!

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: 23-12-2009, 13:12:40 »
Nah... some movies have to get 10, even if theyre not completely perfect  :)   It seems Avatar have to be pretty good indeed, so many good scores

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #334 on: 23-12-2009, 19:12:40 »
It is EPIC

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #335 on: 23-12-2009, 19:12:27 »
...it's still a dances with wolves ripoff (only with aliens)

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: 23-12-2009, 19:12:16 »
The hunt for Red October

Marko Ramius (Sean Connery) is captain of the Soviet ballistic missile submarine Red October, which features caterpillar drive--a revolutionary silent propulsion system that renders the boat virtually undetectable. At the start of the film, Ramius takes the boat out to sea for exercises with the submarine V.K. Konovalov, commanded by Captain Tupolev (Stellan SkarsgÄrd), a former student of Ramius.

Once underway, Ramius murders political officer Ivan Putin (Peter Firth), the one man aboard not under his command and the only man aboard besides himself who knows the sub's official orders. Ramius then burns the original orders and informs the crew that their mission is to conduct nuclear missile drills off America's east coast. The USS Dallas, an American submarine on patrol nearby, detects Red October but loses contact once Ramius engages the silent drive.

The next morning, CIA analyst Jack Ryan (Alec Baldwin) briefs several senior U.S. government officials on the departure of Red October and the threat it poses. In the briefing, Ryan learns that the Soviet Navy has deployed the bulk of its Atlantic fleet to find and sink Red October. The officials in the briefing fear that Ramius may be planning an unauthorized first strike against the U.S., but Ryan suggests that Ramius plans to defect. Ryan is sent out into the North Atlantic with a brief opportunity to prove his theory before the U.S. Navy will be ordered to sink Red October.

While under way, Red October's caterpillar drive suddenly fails, and sabotage is suspected. No longer silent, the sub comes under attack by Soviet forces and begins a series of risky maneuvers through undersea canyons. Meanwhile, Petty Officer Jones (Courtney B. Vance), a sonar analyst aboard Dallas, reconstructs Red October's path and plots an intercept course. Ryan learns of his findings and arranges a hazardous mid-ocean rendezvous to get aboard Dallas, where he convinces the sub's Captain, Bart Mancuso (Scott Glenn) to attempt communication with Ramius through morse code in order to determine his true intentions.

I found The hunt for Red October to be a wonderful film and take my time to watch it at least once every year. The storyline is different from that of the usual Cold war themes (007 and whatnot) so you can expect a few surprises. I would give this movie a 9/10 , plus it has sean connery!

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: 23-12-2009, 20:12:05 »
I LOVE THAT MOVIE! The book was better though ;)

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: 23-12-2009, 20:12:23 »
I've only seen the movie  :P

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline hslan.GN_Angrybeaver

• FH-Betatester
  • EEVIIIIIIL BEAVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: 25-12-2009, 13:12:25 »
where the wild things are

9/10

wtwta was one of my favorite books in my childhood,as i heard it would come to the cinema
i freaked out,weeeee.
its difinitely not a movie for small kids,but a movie for a bit infantile grown-ups!
many people were disappointed,cause they anticipated a focking disney pixar movie...some warm words for you:go to hell with your fricking "cute speaking animals bullshit"

anyways,its not like that the movie has a massive plot.the book has just arround 20 pages...but
its soooo well done.
+the camera is awesome
+the landscape is awesome
+the characters are awesome
+the soundtrack is awesome
+the atmosphere is awesome
+wakes up childhood memories

-ending was changed a bit,cuz waner bros thought it was too dark

one of the best movies of the year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhfywi5Y8TM
« Last Edit: 25-12-2009, 13:12:08 by GN_Angrybeaver »

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #340 on: 25-12-2009, 13:12:45 »
Donald Ducks Christmas
A big mix of different Disney shorts, shown on Swedish Television every Christmas.

Good acting and stories but a bit "Same old, same old" after being aired for the 68th Christmas in a row

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: 25-12-2009, 16:12:31 »
Finally i seen Avatar (2009) by James Cameron
Starring Sam Worthington, Michelle Rodriguez, Sigourney Weaver, and so on.

I can only say a few things about this. Just see it for yourself. And no, you will not be disappointed. It is full of eye candy, the latest technology and all that James Cameron movie you expect for. But that's just all. It is amazing, however delivers slightly below what promised as the most expensive movie ever IMO.

I give it a nice 8 out of 10. This is below of some other movies. Aside being sooo typical in stories, it does deliver something else to make it "very nice".

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: 25-12-2009, 16:12:31 »
From what I've heard about Avatar from reliable sources that share the same opinions and taste like myself, the movie could be summed up in this picture:

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: 25-12-2009, 17:12:34 »
Dunno about your taste. But to me, Star Wars Episode I fares far below my expectations. The marketing is gigantic in proportion, i saw it in every subway station and burger wrappers. But it just sucks.

Although Avatar also fall below expectations, it is definitely better than SW Ep I. Which i would rate 6.5.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: 27-12-2009, 12:12:37 »

To be honest, I was a bit apprehensive since most reviewers said it was over-hyped...
But truth is, its a PERFECT movie. From watching movies like Apocalypto, I realize that not all good movies need to unpredictable... Sometimes the predictablilty actually gives it a sense of safety. Its all about storytelling and scripting

I believe it's a perfect end to this decade, with a theme strongly focused on the two big things of the past 10 years, The war in Iraq and Climate change (More accurately, man's responsibility to defend the earth he lives in). The latter being a lot more subtle

The tribe seems to represent the human in perfect equilibrium with nature, hence a need for very humanoid aliens with low tech weapons in perfect harmony with their planet, in clear contrast to District 9 required very non-human looking aliens with superior tech and a lost planet - Pretty much from the same school of thought.  

I personally, see it equivalent to Gladiator in putting together all the technolgies of the past 10 years and making a stunning, and yet strong, although straight-foward storyline. A good tribute to the decade, I think, by a director whose talent does not diminish in the least in this movie

The characters too are well done, the hero, although an archetype, is not stereotypical, with an ability to learn and yet remain courageous, the scientist-nature-lover also has a hard side to her classic form and the general is fricking Major Chip Hazzard, white hair, die-hard and all... Who can hate em!!

It also says something to the people of America regarding the native Americans - ALOT actually with very close resemblance between the natives of the planet and native Americans....

There was enough special effects in combat, camera glides and eye-candy, but enough to propel the plot rather than derail it, and unlike Final Fantasy, the Spirits within, the plot and conveyance of the story would appeal to anyone from 12 to 50, and the characters have a sense of humor this time around...

Hate me for saying it, minus rep if you would but Avatar, 2 thumbs up:  9.5/10

« Last Edit: 27-12-2009, 12:12:01 by djinn »