Author Topic: The Nightman cometh!  (Read 5851 times)

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
Re: The Nightman cometh!
« Reply #30 on: 25-06-2012, 13:06:00 »
 well so much for adding ammo boxes and pick up kits to the small maps, as has been requested for years.

I understand how King of the Hill works Natty, it's not exactly a new concept. All I wanted to do was express concern over potential balancing issues. Assuming that no physical changes are made to Bir Hakeim's layout, there will be and currently is, an issue where the Allied side can climb to the roof of the house under cover while the german advance is not afforded such an opportunity.

I guess those kinds of suggestions just don't work when you know it all   ::
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25-06-2012, 14:06:55 »
Your concern has been noted and Natty has requested the map to be tested in 16p mode internally. No need to be snappy like that.

Online VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25-06-2012, 17:06:50 »
unless gazala 16 is changed to the Hill bunker and trench system (not the current deleted area of Bir Hakeim), I can easily foresee this being a terribly boring map. The current Gazala 16 is a rapefest with practically no worth to it, no opportunities to flank, no cover and the house doesn't even have mirrored access which ensures Allied superiority. (I admit being biased in that Gazala 16 is the only map that ensures I will quit playing Fh2 and get something worthwhile done)

Bir Hakeim changed to its' own 16/32 sized map would be hella fun though, especially to give props to the Foreign legionnaires who put up such a valiant defence. A french defence put up against the German onslaught of tanks and artillery would play out extremely well, would have tons of replay value and would also breathe life into a map area that never should have been removed from the larger gazala iterations.

I can easily imagine a small German main with APC's and a couple of tanks, some artillery and a few pick up kits. The French side could have their weak arsenal of 2 pounders, a mortar, no special kits but instead they would be essentially bled to death by a combined arms effort on the part of the German's but without proper resource management (have a slow tank respawn); the German side would be ensured defeat provided that the Bir Hakeim defence's are left uncaptured until the map ends.

Kind of like how Hurtgen Forest currently plays at the last line of German defences...

IIRC the french were using 75mm guns, so probably more accurate to use the british 6lber, to represent the power the 75mm had against German tanks of the time.

Offline psykfallet

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25-06-2012, 18:06:51 »
That is a neat idea, but pretty pointless imo unless its possible to have different voice commands and teams for different layers.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 26-06-2012, 02:06:25 »
That is a neat idea, but pretty pointless imo unless its possible to have different voice commands and teams for different layers.
I was implying as a new stand alone map that could accomodate any number of players. A truly 16/32/64 capable map that needs hardly any work at all to complete as the bone structure is in place.

It would be a Bir Hakeim map.  not the "forgotten, deleted part of Gazala map"

[[/quote]
IIRC the french were using 75mm guns, so probably more accurate to use the british 6lber, to represent the power the 75mm had against German tanks of the time.
[/quote]
 Right you are but I was kind of suggesting the 2 pounder as a feeble substitute for the 47mm guns. Assuming it was a small map, the 75mm/ 6 pdr. would be overpowered.

When Gazala 2.0 came out, the guns in place were the very 2 pdr's I suggested. Not accurate, but good enough for a map hack.

Your concern has been noted and Natty has requested the map to be tested in 16p mode internally. No need to be snappy like that.

I was only being as facetious as Natty was. I raised a valid concern and all he tried initially was to discredit my concerns. All the other King of the Hill maps will work out fine but giving the high ground to one side, on a map that is already a wasteland of rape and rage-quit was,and is,an invitation for disaster.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26-06-2012, 05:06:56 »
I think it would be awesome to copy Gazala's heightmap and then just use the Bir Hakeim area for its independant map complete with the french faction defending the place. Could then use different light settings and such for it.
« Last Edit: 26-06-2012, 12:06:12 by Ts4EVER »

Offline psykfallet

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 26-06-2012, 11:06:32 »
Hmm that could be pretty cool!

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 26-06-2012, 22:06:53 »
It would be pretty epic to see Bir Hakeim as a stand-alone map. Toss a couple unique French guns its way and you'd have a gem!

Ahh the dreams I'd love to see come to reality...
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

Offline Comrade Roe

• Achtung panzer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 03-07-2012, 20:07:22 »
Interesting... However, will we ever get a night-time AIR MAP? Unless Keren keeps it's planes.

Offline Gurdy

• Developer
  • no fun allowed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 03-07-2012, 21:07:26 »
Interesting... However, will we ever get a night-time AIR MAP? Unless Keren keeps it's planes.

Don't forget Mersa Matruh!  :P