Author Topic: splash, waves and droplets  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
splash, waves and droplets
« on: 28-03-2011, 04:03:31 »
I wondered about this..  when we eventually see a proper landing map such as omaha is there some what to make the water wavy? cause flat boring water is not as immersive as it would be if it was bad ocean condition would make it much better IMO.  the LCVP going up and down crashing hard on the waves water splashing around etc etc. would be cool to even see water splash on the players  screen from the waves or shells falling around them but idk if thats possible maybe it is?

ideas of this.....

turn the clam flat no wave water of BF2 into crazy wavy water  such as this video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZgKo46X8CI     start at second marker :14 SPR might not be realistic but there was a reason many DD tanks didnt make it to the beach at omaha.. the weather conditions.

second idea- water droplets splash on players screen from water crashing and coming into the boat or from shell landings nearby causing water to splash around.  i think it could possibly be done if the black and white comes when your shot.. except you dont die.. and obviously its not black and white its little droplets of water splashed on screen.. and if you have that for that map or maps like it then maybe add it to anctoville could be really cool.    

this wouldnt be a bad idea for driving vehicles in rain having droplets on screen.

IMO add more of the rain thunder and lighting to more maps.
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline hunterjojo

• View Profile
Re: splash, waves and droplets
« Reply #1 on: 28-03-2011, 04:03:04 »
i love this idea as in battle stations midway [ good game btw] if you flew too low water droplets would flash upon your screen...useful if you accidentally flew way too low or you were torpedo bombing and you didn't want them to explode on contact from height altitude drops into the water....will this apple [ apply] with blood if you knife a guy i.e. no ammo pdh use knife get a kill will blood splatter on the screen? :-*

Offline Gl@mRock

• À vaincre sans périls, on triomphe sans gloire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28-03-2011, 04:03:56 »
When all the theater of war are made and all is left to do is gizmo like that then I agree otherwise I thing it's pretty useless. The bf2 engine was never made to replica real life.  ::)

Offline Ajs47951

• 1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g3t l41d
    • View Profile
    • AJS
« Reply #3 on: 28-03-2011, 05:03:58 »
something tells me that this cant be done with the engine or if it can be done it would be the hardest thing to do and to make it look right

also they did not land during bad ocean conditions
this would also need a shit load of fluids to work right and i don't think the engine could even do this

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28-03-2011, 06:03:10 »
maybe just making the waves of the ocean and the landing craft going up and down on and against the waves

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28-03-2011, 10:03:59 »
@ Gl@mRock & Ajs47951
You would be very surprised,at what the BF2 engine can be made to do,with some clever coding
most of the above mentioned "effects" are possible

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28-03-2011, 10:03:55 »
... but there was a reason many DD tanks didnt make it to the beach at omaha.. the weather conditions.

The DD Shermans were lost due to a little widespreaded reason. I was a combinition of weather reason and the wave height, the natural water streaming parallel to the coast, the method of orientation used by the crews and the fact they were put into water too far away.
The waves were not that high, that the DDs werent able to swim through it, but once they were not perfectly orthogonal to the direction of the streaming water anymore, the streaming combined with the waves, which made much more water coming inside the DD, so the pump were not able anymor to handle with. So they flipped over and sunk. The Crews used landmarks such as church towers to orientate. They tried to always head straight to it. But when the water itself moves to one direction, the sooner or later you are not orthogonal anymore to the water stream. The last reason is the longer way of the DD Sherman. It is said, there was an order for the landing ships to move close to the shore, so the shermans had less way to travel. But this order came to late to those at Omaha, the Shermans were already in the water. This lead to a longer way and travelling time, which leads directly to a worse angle between the Sherman and the streaming.

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28-03-2011, 11:03:09 »
@ Gl@mRock & Ajs47951
You would be very surprised,at what the BF2 engine can be made to do,with some clever coding
most of the above mentioned "effects" are possible

think we'd be in for a lovely youtube video from you with these effects devilman?

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28-03-2011, 12:03:13 »
Both Tunis and Pdh have a wave effect that is really stunning. Look at Pdh beach from the cliff edge...you will see the waves.

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28-03-2011, 12:03:01 »
think we'd be in for a lovely youtube video from you with these effects devilman?

Not for a while
I just finished working on a few sea vehicles
Time to play  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2TbUXmng6s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzDbkfxLMo0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmPY--gE2tw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRscaAVBDzs

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28-03-2011, 13:03:40 »
taken from Special Forces, yea. ::)

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28-03-2011, 13:03:02 »
was the nimitz and Kuznetsov in some xpac?
« Last Edit: 28-03-2011, 17:03:35 by SiCaRiO »

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28-03-2011, 16:03:28 »

But, correct me if im wrong, isn't the grappling hook from Special Forces? if so then FH2 can use special-forces effects too?
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28-03-2011, 18:03:00 »

But, correct me if im wrong, isn't the grappling hook from Special Forces? if so then FH2 can use special-forces effects too?
I thought the Special Forces expansion only gave the people the ability to spawn with the new kits and play on a new maps - the equipment and effects were included in the BF2 vanilla in the relevant update as well, because IIRC you could play with the SF expansion & gear against vanilla players on vanilla servers, and they could pick up your kit but not spawn on it.

Offline Warior135

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28-03-2011, 18:03:19 »
I think a way it could be coded is if you have "water damage" and it plays the splashy up-thing when in water with water specs on the screen but you wouldn't get damaged by the water damage (if thats understandable)