Author Topic: French Hope  (Read 114605 times)

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: French Hope
« Reply #480 on: 05-09-2011, 19:09:48 »
We're sad to say that devs are not really interested in our maps/projects of maps.

They seem to be to "large", but a betatest (with stonne, sedan, dynamo) with 64 players was not done and is not in the way to be.

So Stonne, Sedan, Dynamo, Bir Hakeim, The Phoney War, Pont de l'Arche, Abbeville pocket...are going to the trash.

Yes, they were too large, but to throw them in the "trash" is kind of drastic. They could be modified and made smaller.  I personally have only seen Sedan, Stonne, and Dynamo.  I really would like to see what Bir Hakeim looks like.

:)

Offline CptdeS35

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: 05-09-2011, 19:09:15 »
Bir Hakeim is WIP. it's 2048*2048, to let the italians attack frenchies.
So they are many flag in a hankerchief and huge minefields.

The town in sedan is not 3 times brest.
Dynamo is the kind of gameplay of lebisey.
Stonne was made alone by Snoox, so i can't say anything about the map.
Our maps are great yes, but not huge. We've tested with !@! and ubf Dynamo and Sedan with 25 players, it worked perfectly.

So...we'll not give up. But we're not in a good mood...
It's really impossible to restart a map.
FH2 Dev (wait seriously ?)

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: 05-09-2011, 19:09:53 »
I thought the maps were nicely detailed and all of that, but they are too big for public play with 32 vs. 32.  If the teams were organized then the maps may play fine, but in public play the players would be spread out far too much.

I would really like to at least see a minimap of Bir Hakeim (personally). The size probably would not affect that map so much since you are fighting over a specific and centralized area (I assume).

And I didn't mean that the maps had to be redone from scratch, but altered/tweaked.  I don't know what the devs said on this matter, but some maps may be able to work with some modifications.  :)

Offline Nilsson

• Forgotten...
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: 05-09-2011, 19:09:38 »
Isn't it possible to adjust the active parts of the maps, so they feel smaller for the FH devs? Perhaps changing flag layouts, and attack routes?
Saunas are a passive-aggressive way of killing Russians.

Offline CptdeS35

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: 05-09-2011, 20:09:18 »
Well bir Hakeim is also too big, and have too many flag to be in a FH2 release

WIP Map has been sent by mp

nilson, There is already push "roads" in nearly all our maps

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: 05-09-2011, 20:09:30 »
The town in sedan is not 3 times brest.

Go to mods/fh2/levels/battle_of_brest and open server.zip.
Now open Heightdata.con.
Confirm that it is a 1025 map, scale 2 (4km²):

heightmap.setSize 1025 1025
heightmap.setScale 2/0.0025/2

Go to mods/fh2/levels/breakthrough_sedan and open server.zip.
Now open Heightdata.con.
Confirm that it is a 1025 map, scale 2 (4km²):

heightmap.setSize 1025 1025
heightmap.setScale 2/0.0025/2

Now, for both maps, open client.zip and open in hud/minimap/ingameMap.dds.

Put em next to each other in photoshop and what you get is:

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: 05-09-2011, 20:09:44 »
Well Brest is too small anyway IMHO... It always feels like a tunnel shooter to me... There are only a couple of paths to take and not much options when engaging the enemy... And the last German flag is ALWAYS a nadefest.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: 05-09-2011, 21:09:25 »
wtf man, that minimap looks awesome, dontcha dare to put that map into trash! plus we might get 64+ players in the future and then there will be a need for bigger maps ;)

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: 05-09-2011, 22:09:50 »
That looks like a really cool map

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline CptdeS35

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: 05-09-2011, 22:09:15 »
ok lightning, u're right ^^" i apologize,

But brest is not the same gameplay than sedan ! Sedan is an huge movement of troops, brest is a deadly house to house fight...Sedan is a melt of tanks, infantry and planes, Brest is infantry (supported by tanks)
There is a difference between the blitzkrieg and the liberation.

Also distances are calculated by :
Geographic point of view
Liberty of movement
Importance of the Squad Leader and teamplay
historical facts

btw, we should compare sedan and some african maps...

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: 05-09-2011, 23:09:50 »
Too big? HAH.

Meuse River, for example, has (based on the minimap and historical scenario) a similar setup to Sedan. It is too goddamn small: unless you spawn back at the main, you have little else to do but spawn-die-spawn-die-spawn. And if you head out of the main, you will notice that there's very little room to actually manuever your tank, you are channeled into a narrow tube and into chokepoints anyway. Not to mention that the small size means that whatever height differences you have become just a bit too abrupt and almost cartoon-like. So a map with a town in the middle and mixed arms combat, but four times the area (double the edge length)? YES PLEASE.

Also, using Brest as a comparison is not really valid, because it breaks down too easily into a stalemate of tanks and machineguns - bigger size would mean more flanking options and more chaotic "cityfight" feel. Right now, the city on that Sedan map itself looks like a fantastic 32/16p version, while the full map would be the 64p version. Also, with a clever use of pushmode I do not think that the map is too big, at least there would be a sense of advancing somewhere. Plus there would be room for proper tank tactics instead of charging straight up into the thick of defenses.

Seeing all that work going to waste because the maps are "too big" is just plain silly. (Also, if they have never been tested with 64 players (only with ~20-30 people), how can you say they are "too big"...?) I'll bet that a careful use of push, OOB and flags will guide the gameplay enough to guarantee enough action. Unless, of course, one expects every FH2 map play like Counter-Tunis or Call of Brest or Ramelle of Honor (which IMO are not very good yardsticks when it comes down to what the FH2 is really about). Right now, what with the comments about "too big" and the stated intention to make every battle 35 minutes long, I feel that FH2 is being taken to a direction too much COD-like for its own good, and that FH2 public players are underestimated. Could the teamwork be better? Sure. But squeezing down every map to a minimum size and channeling every player into a narrow "ghost train"? I don't think this is the solution. (Much as I didn't think taking out the Bir Hakeim flag from Gazala was a solution in the first place, considering how even the Blockhouse on Sidi Rezegh could be made attractive...)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: 05-09-2011, 23:09:25 »
Of course not every map should be like tunis, but maps also shouldn't be bigger and more spread out than Bastogne, otherwise there is nothing going on at all.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: 05-09-2011, 23:09:42 »
Even Bastogne's OOB feels too restrictive IMO. It could use with some extra space for manoeuvering with tanks (and also with infantry, what with the narrow tube that squeezes the Germans onto the first two flags). Also, if infantry players have the patience to take a vehicle they can get into the thick of it very quickly - I have never had a problem finding action on Bastogne. I'm still confident that with unrecappable flags and some OOB the map would play well enough on 64 players. Not even current 64 player maps play very well on 30 players!

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: 05-09-2011, 23:09:09 »
So you're confident of that by looking at an empty minimap? I have these maps and ran around on them and all I thought was "lol two whole teams could run past each pther here without ever seeing each other." They are very impressive graphically and certainly made with enthusiasm but just not very well designed.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: 05-09-2011, 23:09:34 »
I have these maps and ran around on them and all I thought was "lol two whole teams could run past each pther here without ever seeing each other."

I somehow believe things like that happened on more than a few occasions IRL... It would make scouting more important IMO, and squad leaders could plan their moves and maneuvers instead of always having to choose between the same 3 paths...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...