Author Topic: Review the latest book you have read  (Read 6451 times)

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Review the latest book you have read
« on: 28-07-2009, 16:07:06 »
Use this topic the review the latest or greatest book you've read. Can be fictional or non-fictional.

I will kick-off with the latest book I've read:

The Information Officer:
Url:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Information-Officer-Mark-Mills/dp/0007276885

Plot:
This book revolves around the bombing of Malta in 1942. The main character, Max Chadwick, is an Information Officer who's job is it to spin every news of the war on Malta into something positive to maintain morale.
When he finds out a British Officer is murdering you Maltese women he embarks on a private investigation.

My view:
What I liked about the book was that that the writer didn't focus on the serial killing aspect, but uses it as a means to write about life in Malta during the bombing.
It's filled with typical British stiff upper lip humour and made me laugh out loud a few times.
I can't say if al the WWII reference are historically correct, I didn't see Tigers rolling through the streets of Malta.

If you like to read about Malta during the bombing, enjoy British humor and bit of a whodunit at the end of the book, this one is a must read.

I give a 9/10.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Review the latest book you have read
« Reply #1 on: 28-07-2009, 20:07:13 »
I'm cool. I don't read books. Books are fr geeks.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28-07-2009, 20:07:02 »
I just packed up my books. It took me 10 boxes.

Last book I read was God's Problem by Bart Ehrman. The book is an examination of the problem of suffering in the Bible.

In summary, Ehrman is a great textual scholar but he has little understanding of Biblical interpretation or Christian theology. The book is rife with poorly based arguments and arguments from emotion.

3/10
« Last Edit: 28-07-2009, 20:07:20 by [WDW]Megaraptor »

Offline Coca-Cola

• [130.Pz.]A.Aasen
    • View Profile
    • MY CHARACTER MODELING AND TEXTURING SITE
« Reply #3 on: 29-07-2009, 00:07:07 »
Vengeance aka the book behind http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408306/

plot summary:
After the assassinations of eleven Isreali Olympic athletes during the 1972 Olympic games, a team of five
Isrealis were plucked from various services of their military to form a team of special agents. The agents' task will be to exact, you guessed it, vengeance on all those who were involved in the planning of the massacre, provided in a list which had to be memorized before leaving Isreal, and subsequently those who stand in the agents' way of carrying out those orders ; not the Fedayeen who carried out the massacre as they were all killed when the West German police attempted, with hindsight at the wrong time, to rescue the hostages as the Fedayeen were trying to escape at Munich's airport.

The book takes you through all of their hits which with the right information, the team, as I will now call them, find them quite easy to carry out. Their first hit had not much more sophistication, if we're to only focus on the actual killing and immediate getaway, than a gang shooting. After the initial getaway of their first killing, the team had hired, with foresight, a new set of cars to take the team to their safe houses. After that first hit, the team, I'm presuming, subconsciously wanted to have a lot more distance to their hits both physically and with their disguises to look a lot less and act less like a team of, essentially, hit men. Though most of it was taught before the team had left Isreal, people are still human and more had to be learnt(that's right not learned). Eventually, the team "moves on" to explosives and their second, though first with explosives of course, hit goes off without a hitch on the tiny Island of Cyprus except for incurring a little uneasiness, presumably, from the Island's Greek and Turkish residents who're usually at each other's throats.

Gleaming with success, the team, from their Frankfurt home base, hear about the arrival of another Arab terrorist in the Greek capital. Upon arrival in Athens, the team's demolitions expert seeks out some material from the team's usual source, which is to put it basically a well-educated, anarchistic, French family, for such illegal weaponry provides some very old and volatile hand grenades which, I don't know the name for such bombs or weaponry, suck out all the air in a sealed environment; in this case, it's to be a hotel room. The team experiences their first real hitch when the terrorist organzier, after six of these grenades had been implanted in the mattress and set to be primed when the terrorist organizer sits on the bed and presses down on a complex system of springs, primes the explosive but the bombs don't go off. The team is saved the embarrassment and possible cancelation of their mission due to failure when one of the team's older members impulsively goes to the terrorist organizer's room and throws one of the left-over grenades into the room and is able to walk away due to the small blast radius of the grenades. From here on out the team is sent, involuntarily, into a spiral of near failures and eventually the murders of some of their own team members. The team suspect the anarchistic French family to be the route cause of their losses as they are usually the only ones who know about the team's whereabouts most of the time and to the team's knowledge. In fact, it's after the death of their third member, I know slow learners, EH(:P), that the team has their last telephone conversation with the French family or with the son, Louis, with whom the team usually deals. It marks the end of their access with the family who provided the team's best information and supply of materials, but as is indicative of the family's views, the way to start anew with civilization is to do away with, in any form, of all governments and their various agencies which involves selling information about either side to all different sides, and the team's mission to their consternation.

The mission ends, I forget exactly how at the moment, in a melancholy sort of way as the team ties up their loose ends, paying various informants, soothing the deceaseds' families and generally accepting their failure for not having killed all of the terrorist organizers on their list. Only when the team has returned to Isreal do they realize that their mission was not in fact a failure but rather quite the opposite when he is greeted at the Tel Aviv airport to a congratulating, pair of younger agents, who pick the remaining team members up, and their counter-terrorist team organizer(one doesn't want to think of the adjective which would accompany a team to take a counter-terrorist team out and so on down the line :P). For a few days the two, including the central character Avner, are treated like royalty. However it's a brief lapse in luxury as Avner is soon brought down to earth by his superiors who want him to go out again on another similar mission, presumably to suck another ten years off his life spiritually as had been said by his wife when he had been returned to him even though the mission spanned a few years. Avner soon tries to escape to America where he'd had his wife live during the mission for the most part from the Mossad agents who invariably follow him and are quite easily spotted by Avner who with his level of expertise knew exactly how to find them. Avner reminds himself of what his father, who had been an agent, that "they'll squeeze you dry until they've gotten everything they want from you" and never has he wanted to listen and act upon what his father had wisely said. To his astonishment, after arriving in New York and checking his Swiss bank account in which his paychecks during his mission had been deposited, Avner found that there was a total of zero. After much desperation and fighting with the "Galicianers", a.k.a. the root of most Jewish stereotypes(more on that later), Avner decided to make his living in America and turn his back to Isreal.

My view: I enjoyed the book, to the point of reading it a few times, as it's quite gripping at least for a book and I enjoyed reading about the assassinations and the various details involved in such endeavors. I also took in the information on the various problems with the Jews, mostly against themselves giving me insight into the self-hating Jew apart from parts of my extended family(:P), and the Arabs. I can't say that I didn't agree with Avner's dim view of the Galicianers, though I forget what Western-European Jews are called, who because of their Eastern-European ancestries, were a lot more conservative and selfish with their spending and dividing of the wealth, often to the detrement of non-Galicianers who were just as much residents of Isreal as them and in Avner's case, had stuck their necks out more than them for Isreal. The most back-stabbing thing the Galicianers did in my opinion is that they made Avner sign a contract after he'd come back to defend his country and was sleep deprived and slightly edgy from recent combat during I forget which war which nullified all his earnings unless he kept working for them. I forgot most of the details but it's pretty low in my opinion. Rant over but overall I like the book.
MY CHARACTER MODELING AND TEXTURING SITE: http://andersgarvin.wix.com/portfolio#!home/mainPage

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-07-2009, 00:07:57 »
What is your take on Vengeance's factual accuracy?

Offline Coca-Cola

• [130.Pz.]A.Aasen
    • View Profile
    • MY CHARACTER MODELING AND TEXTURING SITE
« Reply #5 on: 29-07-2009, 02:07:33 »
In my opinion, you'd have to know "Avner" or whatever his real name is better to make a much better assessment of his loyalties to family or Isreal as that would counteract against the way in which he was miffed by his so-called home. I don't know really, does he completely want to give away so many secrets of how they operate; mind you, the .22 Berettas that they bought throughout Europe seems to suggest a staple which would be used by either and both sides purchased the same types of explosives so I don't know how detrimental that would be to Isreal's operational secrecy. I couldn't know how or if Isreal has a quite different training regime than then, though I couldn't see it getting that much greater. The title could almost be a double-entendre with him finally getting financial vengeance with a story created using their checkbooks because the details are certainly in abundance. Also, Avner isn't much of a gloater, admitting to not fully understanding some of the technical equipment he had been trained with and general uncertainties throughout the book though who knows if this is a trick up his sleeve in which he shows a bit a patriotism, I feel I'm reading too much into this. But as the preface says, many people involved, when the book was released, denied it entirely, changing to mild scepticism in the public eye and then to saying their role was too small. So I'm much more of a believer in the story's accuracy with a slight tendency, due to decency on Avner's part towards the agents or the families of whom he worked with and maybe to Isreal, to lembelish where it's needed. This is all based on general knowledge and reading the book.
MY CHARACTER MODELING AND TEXTURING SITE: http://andersgarvin.wix.com/portfolio#!home/mainPage

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-07-2009, 13:07:51 »
Next book.

And Quiet Flows the Don by Mikhail Sholokhov.
Url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Quiet_Flows_the_Don

Plot:
Copied from the wikki.
The novel deals with the life of the Cossacks living in the Don River valley during the early 20th century, probably around 1912, just prior to World War I. The plot revolves around the Melekhov family of Tatarsk, who are descendants of a cossack who, to the horror of many, took a Turkish captive as a wife during the Crimean War. Accused of witchcraft by Melekhov's superstitious neighbours, she is killed.                        Their descendants, the son and grandsons, who are the protagonists of the story, are therefore often nicknamed "Turks". Nevertheless, they command a high amount of respect among people in Tatarsk. The second eldest son of the house, Grigori Panteleevich Melekhov, is a promising young soldier who falls in love with Aksinia, the wife of Stepan Astakhov, a family friend. There is no love between them and Stepan regularly beats her. Grigori and Aksinia's romance and elopement raises a feud between her husband and his family. The outcome of this romance is the focus of the plot as well as the impending World and Civil Wars which draw up the best young Cossack men for what will be two of Russia's bloodiest wars. The action moves to the Austro-Hungarian front, where Grigory ends up saving Stepan's life, but that doesn't end the feud. Grigory, at his father's insistence, has taken a wife, Natalya, but is unhappy, as he still loves Aksinia.

My view:

I have read this book many years ago. I can still remember being shocked by the raw and brutal way the lives of the Cossacks is described.
Although this probably had to do with the fact that I hadn't read that many books in those days, it was the first non-western author I read and the book was written in a harsher time (1928).
And Quiet Flows the Don has it all for me political intrigue, epic wars being fought and an insight in the live of the Cossacks.
If you want to make yourself familiar with history of the Cossacks during WW1 and the Russian civil war you couldn't do wrong with reading this epic novel.

My next goal is to read War and Peace.

Score: 9/10.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #7 on: 29-07-2009, 15:07:18 »
Re-read Panzer Commander by Hans von Luck (again!)

Perfect book for lazy summer-days.

The book is a memoir of Von Luck's life. His early life in Germany, joining the Army, the prewar era in Germany, the invasion of Poland, Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of France, The Desert War, The Normandy campaign and a lot more.

A very good book

Offline Wraith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29-07-2009, 19:07:17 »
I'm amazed nobody's mentioned "The Godfather" by Mario Puzo yet.
It's the best book out there. Screw the bible (dang, where's my flame-retardant suit?), screw Lord of the Rings, screw Harry Potter.
I even never watched the movie - which I heard is very good - just so I don't ruin the memory of this amazing book. No matter how awesome the movie is, it can never compare to it.

Explaining the story would take far too long, as the book also features the background of every main character, plus some other key events which the movie doesn't.
Basically, "The Godfather" is all about Vito Corleone, a fictional mafia Don (read: leader) and his sons fighting a gang war against the 4 other mafia families in New York.
I give this epic story 3 thumbs up (just... don't ask) and a bright, satisfied smile.
Going to the next bookstore, buying this book for twenty bucks or so and enjoying the pure epic awesomeness of Mario Puzos novel really is "an offer you can't refuse".

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29-07-2009, 19:07:08 »
screw Lord of the Rings, screw Harry Potter.
Oi! You there!

The Godfather is awesome but that's just absurd :F

Last books I have read:

Surgeon's Stories (Zacharias Topelius 1851)
Story of two Finnish families from the Thirty-years war in 1631 to rise of Gustav III in 1772. War, adventure, history, science, religion, love - It's all in. One of the best books I have ever read. 10/10

The Voyage of the Beagle (Charles Darwin 1839) Travel memoir and a detailed scientific field journal covering biology, geology, and anthropology from HMS Beagle's journey around the world. Young geologist Darwin really knows how to tell about lands and people and his findings. 10/10

Peril at End House (Agatha Christie 1932) What could I say; moustache wax, little grey cells, murder. Poirot has spoken, the case is settled. 9/10
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #10 on: 29-07-2009, 20:07:17 »
I'm amazed nobody's mentioned "The Godfather" by Mario Puzo yet.
It's the best book out there. Screw the bible (dang, where's my flame-retardant suit?), screw Lord of the Rings, screw Harry Potter.
I even never watched the movie - which I heard is very good - just so I don't ruin the memory of this amazing book. No matter how awesome the movie is, it can never compare to it.

Explaining the story would take far too long, as the book also features the background of every main character, plus some other key events which the movie doesn't.
Basically, "The Godfather" is all about Vito Corleone, a fictional mafia Don (read: leader) and his sons fighting a gang war against the 4 other mafia families in New York.
I give this epic story 3 thumbs up (just... don't ask) and a bright, satisfied smile.
Going to the next bookstore, buying this book for twenty bucks or so and enjoying the pure epic awesomeness of Mario Puzos novel really is "an offer you can't refuse".

Wait, what.

This is the first time I've seen anybody like the book.

I read a few summers ago.

And I gotta say, in my book. The movie wins several times over, hands down.

The book feels so weak and as Coppola said: Sleazy. 

See the movie, wonderful adoption.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-07-2009, 20:07:04 »
No, see the episodes 1 and 2.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Wraith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29-07-2009, 20:07:39 »
Alright, you got me convined. I usually don't trust anonymous people from the internet too much, but what bad can it do in that case? It's not like you're offering me an awesome investment for my hard(ly) earned money via e-mail. I'll go buy the movie tomorrow.

BTW, what do you guys think of Dan Brown novels? I've read all 4 of 'em. I like the way he writes (though that could just be the good translator) but I have to say I'm not entirely convinced by his storylines. He always tries to set up everything to be realistic, but in the end it all just turns out way too unreal for my taste. Any other opinions?

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29-07-2009, 20:07:33 »
Alright, you got me convined. I usually don't trust anonymous people from the internet too much, but what bad can it do in that case? It's not like you're offering me an awesome investment for my hard(ly) earned money via e-mail. I'll go buy the movie tomorrow.

BTW, what do you guys think of Dan Brown novels? I've read all 4 of 'em. I like the way he writes (though that could just be the good translator) but I have to say I'm not entirely convinced by his storylines. He always tries to set up everything to be realistic, but in the end it all just turns out way too unreal for my taste. Any other opinions?

His novels are page turners. I don't give 2 cents if it's unreal or not, he just writes very well.
I've read the Last Don from Mario Puzo, very good, love that stuff. And don't worry the Godfather movies are still good, considering their age.

Screw Lord of the Rings   :o??! Don't be suprised if you find the head of an Orc in your bed. ;)

Offline Wraith

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29-07-2009, 21:07:16 »
That's just plain silly. I said "screw the Bible" and "screw Lord of the Rings" in the same sentence.
Nobody has answered to the Bible comment yet, but NTH already wants to send me the head of a dead... humanoid. Thorondor even only quoted the screw [enter overhyped book here] part...
But well... I'll just quote Irv Kupcinet (Chicago Sun-Times columnist 1943-2003):

What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?