Author Topic: Using sniper rifle for spotting  (Read 645 times)

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
Using sniper rifle for spotting
« on: 17-08-2012, 18:08:49 »
So, what if you could use sniper rifles for marking enemies on the map like you do with binoculars? "But snipers already have binoculars", you say. Well, with this you could spot enemies and effectively and quickly use your gun if need arises.

Imagine this: Your squad is advancing on enemy positions. As they move, you scan the enemy emplacements and mark them for your friends.
"Take down the mg" your squad leaders messages,
You squeeze the trigger and the machine gunner falls dead. At the same instant, your squad emerges from cover and a firefight ensues. You take down targets as fast as you can. You see that the enemy is trying to flank your squad. You switch positions and aim down on this new enemy. A split second after signaling their location to your squadleader you open fire and pin them down, giving your squad enough time to counter them.

That is why, or something along those lines, it would be good if you could spot enemies with sniper rifles. The binocs would still be useful on the sniper so you could call down artillery. So, what do you think?

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
Re: Using sniper rifle for spotting
« Reply #1 on: 17-08-2012, 18:08:24 »
+1

I always hate it when I want to spot and just have to do a quick switch to binocs and back. You don't even have to look through them to spot, so right now it's kind of irritating if you want to spot enemies. This way the gameplay would be much smoother.
« Last Edit: 17-08-2012, 18:08:11 by McCloskey »

Offline Vincent Von Krüger

• no one can stop the RosenRitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-08-2012, 12:08:47 »
+1

i also support this, if you are a real scout not just a lonewolf guy going for kills, this would be extremely effective.

use binocs to mark targets for artillery, and the scope to mark enemies for the team to watch.

to encourage use of spotting, you should be awared points for units killed from your spotting and marking.

a bit like an assist point.
being a soldier with an Bolt Action rifle i take pride in my work, knowing i got the most powerful anti personel weapon in my hands.

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-08-2012, 13:08:00 »
+1

This really something. Two suggestions that try to make sniper rifles even more useful ingame that I can relate on. (The other being alternating between iron sights and scope by different weapon slots like the BAR used to)
I'd rather play Kimble with my ass!

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• Zi's Iz mein Flammenwerfer! And it Werfs Flammen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18-08-2012, 22:08:59 »
+1
Yes please, it's irritating trying to act as an overwatch for your team from a church tower with only binocs to spot the enemies.

Offline hyperanthropos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18-08-2012, 22:08:09 »
+1 I think its a good suggestion, too! Seems wierd when you have to switch to binocs jsut to spot something you saw almost as godd with your scope. Still i d like to remind you guys that when this gets implemented binocs shouldnt be removed from the sniper kit for the better zoom, sometimes you need it.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18-08-2012, 23:08:17 »
Still i d like to remind you guys that when this gets implemented binocs shouldnt be removed from the sniper kit for the better zoom, sometimes you need it.

Was just going to say that. I aggree.