Author Topic: So, what next?  (Read 34484 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: So, what next?
« Reply #75 on: 10-09-2009, 00:09:43 »
We have still some Projects going for Normandy, but we internally working allready on the Next theatre of course.

We try to do some more smaller releases now! Press thumb if all goes how we plan it.

Little OT question:
Does the expression "To press your thumbs" exist in english?

Offline theUg

• View Profile
    • http://theUg’s sump
« Reply #76 on: 10-09-2009, 00:09:54 »
Oh, blast, Meadow, I didn’t know that. I was drooling all over it. :)

Dreckwurst, it may not be as realistic, but it’s still fun and a great treat and will do, while we wait for new stuff in FH2 those long winter evenings.

I don’t know, but I’ve been told
Shooting things is gettin’ old
Hug a child and plant a tree
Show some hospitality

Offline Dreckwurst

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 10-09-2009, 00:09:14 »
Dreckwurst, it may not be as realistic, but it’s still fun and a great treat and will do, while we wait for new stuff in FH2 those long winter evenings.

Nah, not for me its only money making from EA nothing more...also 24 or maybe 32 Players isnt nice imo.

Offline The Crimson Major

• I'm an Armchair General!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 10-09-2009, 02:09:35 »
I would love to see 2-3 italy maps, being optimistic, although I don't know if there is sufficient interest. Battle of the Bulge/ Market Garden/ Crossing the Rhine/ More Normandy Maps would all only serve to stimulate player numbers, I'm sure.
sig.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 10-09-2009, 02:09:59 »
The one map have  I have always wanted to see above all others would be the Warsaw Uprising, but the team appears to not like them partisans much.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 10-09-2009, 04:09:45 »
Although they were partisants it was a full scale battle over a city so it could make for a great map.

Offline theUg

• View Profile
    • http://theUg’s sump
« Reply #81 on: 10-09-2009, 04:09:28 »
I was just thinking about it the other day. Partisan concept could be explored much the same way insurgents/Taliban are in Project Reality. They have crappier weapons and rag-tag load-outs (including fun stuff like Molotov Cocktail), but game balanced in particular gameplay mode (some sort of objective mode) to even up the chances.

I don’t know, but I’ve been told
Shooting things is gettin’ old
Hug a child and plant a tree
Show some hospitality

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #82 on: 10-09-2009, 06:09:42 »
We have still some Projects going for Normandy, but we internally working allready on the Next theatre of course.

We try to do some more smaller releases now! Press thumb if all goes how we plan it.

Little OT question:

Keeping your fingers crossed.  I had no clue what the hell Toddel was talking about until yesterday when I was playing with some of my 130th mates from Germany and one of them started spouting off some shit about pressing thumbs. 
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 10-09-2009, 08:09:39 »

Nah, not for me its only money making from EA nothing more...also 24 or maybe 32 Players isnt nice imo.

All titles released by any publisher will bring income to that publisher, so he can send money to the gaming studios where the creative artists sits all day and create games for you and me. EA haven't made bf1943, it is a free and inspired projects by pioneer producers and designers at Dice. To be honest: bf1943 is the most "mod" like game they've made, Im surprised people arent thrilled by it. It is really unusual for a studio to let their employees make a mod and experiment like this... and so cheap!..

Think about bf1943 as if DICE would hire Toddel, Lobo, Ctz, Kev4000, Gunnie, Zero, Remdul and Fenring to make a WW2 mod for Frostbite. Because that is more the truth than "EA cashing in on arcade crap" that most people seems to think.

I havent seen the PC beta yet, so I cant tell if it is good, but the premises are awesome.

Offline NuclearHendrix

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 10-09-2009, 09:09:11 »

All titles released by any publisher will bring income to that publisher, so he can send money to the gaming studios where the creative artists sits all day and create games for you and me. EA haven't made bf1943, it is a free and inspired projects by pioneer producers and designers at Dice. To be honest: bf1943 is the most "mod" like game they've made, Im surprised people arent thrilled by it. It is really unusual for a studio to let their employees make a mod and experiment like this... and so cheap!..

Think about bf1943 as if DICE would hire Toddel, Lobo, Ctz, Kev4000, Gunnie, Zero, Remdul and Fenring to make a WW2 mod for Frostbite. Because that is more the truth than "EA cashing in on arcade crap" that most people seems to think.

I havent seen the PC beta yet, so I cant tell if it is good, but the premises are awesome.

Forgotten Hope would kick balls on the frost bite engine!

If the PC version of BF1943 is mod-able, I think the FH dev team might be tempted to make a small realism mod for it.

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 10-09-2009, 11:09:31 »

Forgotten Hope would kick balls on the frost bite engine!

If the PC version of BF1943 is mod-able, I think the FH dev team might be tempted to make a small realism mod for it.

Unfortunately DICE have said that for a) legal reasons and b) technical ones they cannot allow any mods whatsoever of BF1943 on PC or otherwise. On top of that, modding Frostbite is something that most mod teams in the world are terrified by and rightly so - it would effectively quadruple the hours they'd have to work because of the complex destructable physics. It's a shame, but it seems that mods are being left behind by the current batch of 'next gen' engines.

I'm happy with FH2 as it is, though. Though I do admit it'd be awesome to ask a Cromwell to blow a hole in the church so we can get that pesky sniper...
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront

Offline Hans Werner

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 10-09-2009, 13:09:27 »
Let's think. We have '44 Allied and '44 German hardware (with some '45 stuff in changelog). Late Western Front (Battle of France, Arnhem, the Bulge, Hürtgen Forest, crossing the Rhine at Remagen, and so forth) would not need so much in the way of new units or weapons mostly only new statics (British, US and German paratroopers would be perhaps the most important new additions, though they could use "placeholder" skins; maybe M26 Pershing for '45 maps, but it was so rare that it's not strictly necessary; Thunderbolt, Lightning or Mustang as the American ground support aircraft would be a nice surprise). This I would see more as a "2.21" or "2.25" rather than completely new version, since it would build on 2.2 contents and gameplay.

Of course, there's the Italian front, but that could be left to certain mappacks (FHT? WaW?), updated with 2.2 stuff, maybe adjusted after a couple of "theme weekends" like the one we just had, and then offered to the public (if the mapmakers would be so generous to the community).

The next big thing - 2.3 or 2.4 - would IMHO logically be the Eastern Front, perhaps built "backwards", from late-war towards early war, since there's already plenty of late-war German hardware available (early Eastern Front would require extensive reskinning from African colours to Eastern Front camouflage).

I'm not so keen about the Pacific. It would offer mostly infantry combat (tank-to-tank would be rather frustrating for the poor Japanese), while naval combat has been said to be problematic. Also, it has been rather overcovered in a million other FPS's already. Sure, it would thrill the Americans. The Europeans? Not so sure.

Eastern Front, however, would truly be a "forgotten" (from the American, not European point of view). Plus it would offer huge variety; from epic tanking on the open steppes (Prokhorovka, anyone?) to infantry-heavy cityfights (Berlin, Stalingrad) to chaotic skirmishes in thick forest (me wants the Finnish front, too!).

Totaly agree, the more logical way is to firstly finish West front from Normandy (Omaha, Cobra, Pegasus,...) to end of war (Market Garden, Battle of Bugle,...). Then to do the early and late Est front because they could use most of German models (Panzer III, Panzer IV, Panther, Tiger, Weapons...) and just reskin them and finally doing the Pacific.

Problem with Pacific is that the devs need to totaly do all the work (Japanese army, Marines stuff, etc...) and the BF2 engine isn't the BF1942 one, none movable battleship only static ones, and they won't spend again 2 years to do a new front because they would loose all their players...

About the other front (early West, Italy, Finland, Greece...etc...) i would love to see them but i don't think devs will spend time on fronts that would only interest few players. They won't repeat AfriKa errors by doing a really amazing front (yeah Afrika is)  but not popular one !!! So let's just hope some moddelers of FHT or other groups will be able to make these fronts with their owns means.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 10-09-2009, 14:09:31 »

Little OT question:

I don't think so.  From the context of the quote, it seems similar to our expressions of "Cross your fingers" or "Knock on wood."  Those mean something along the lines of "Hope for the best" or "Unless something unforeseen happens," respectively.  For example, Toddel's quote could be rewritten as: "We'll try to do some more smaller releases now! Cross your fingers and hope everything goes how we plan it." or "We'll try to do some more smaller releases now! If everything goes how we plan it, knock on wood." and it wouldn't lose any meaning.

Lainer beat me to it, but I thought I could expand it more.  I find it interesting how something as small as a saying or expression can mean something so different in different languages...  (By the way, I couldn't find "Press your thumbs" on Wikipedia, but I did find the two expressions I compared it too, and like I said, on the context, it seems to be the same idea.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, back on topic...  Umm, I think the next few releases will include Anctoville, Juno Beach, Op. Cobra, Op. Overlord, Villers Bocage, and Battle of Keren.  Those were all mentioned in the changelog and some of them are far enough along to be seen being tested on the test server.  Keren is especially interesting because its an East African map (I wiki-ed it ;)).  Villers Bocage is apparently based off the Tilly-sur-Seulles map we played in WaW this campaign, and that was a beautiful map even without the 2.2 touch.  As I understand it, those two maps were submitted by betatesters, but were found to be high enough quality to be tested by the whole team.  The other four are likely from the mappers we all know and love, but I'm not sure.

After that, though, I don't know what's next...
« Last Edit: 10-09-2009, 14:09:01 by Ionizer »

Biiviz

« Reply #88 on: 10-09-2009, 14:09:59 »
The big plus of doing the Pacific or the Finnish front would be that the Allies wouldn't be fighting the same old Germans again, as they do in NA, West front, East front. Italy is of course another possibility.

Realistically I'd say Market Garden or even later war, all the way into Germany is probably next.

/edit: And while we're on the subject of sayings;

"Piece of cake", "Helppo nakki", "Lätt som en plätt".
"Piece of cake", "Easy sausage", "Easy/light like a pancake"

:)
« Last Edit: 10-09-2009, 14:09:08 by Biiviz »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 10-09-2009, 14:09:19 »
Unless of course you would base all finnish front maps on the sectors at Lapland or in a very small area in western Syväri.  ;D