Author Topic: M1 Garand for US NCO  (Read 602 times)

Offline DaWorg!

• View Profile
M1 Garand for US NCO
« on: 25-03-2012, 18:03:12 »
As title says, it would be nice to have garand in NCO kit. At least on some maps, like Hurtgen forest where range is needed.
"The roar of engines, the recoil of cannons. That is where the true joy of battle lies."

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: M1 Garand for US NCO
« Reply #1 on: 25-03-2012, 18:03:11 »

Offline DaWorg!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-03-2012, 16:03:31 »
I know, but this is not that much about range as it is about little bit of diversity, and US squadleaders running almost always with recon, or rifleman kit because of no garand in NCO kit. Carbine can be used at distance, but it is inferior to Garand.
I just like to run with NCO kit, when i am SL, and i thought it might be good idea to have garand at least on some maps.
"The roar of engines, the recoil of cannons. That is where the true joy of battle lies."

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26-03-2012, 18:03:33 »
I know, but this is not that much about range as it is about little bit of diversity, and US squadleaders running almost always with recon, or rifleman kit because of no garand in NCO kit. Carbine can be used at distance, but it is inferior to Garand.
I just like to run with NCO kit, when i am SL, and i thought it might be good idea to have garand at least on some maps.
Whereas I see your point, the argument of diversity kind of fails when you suggest the NCO should have the same weapon as the rifleman and the scout already have ;)

ALso, the NCO doesn't have to pick NCO kit, only when he wants to. If he wants a Garand, he has to leave other stuff, like extra bandages.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26-03-2012, 18:03:23 »
Well, if you had a range battle, then yes, I think it is a fair suggestion. but its left to the mapper to decide when. hurtgen is a perfect example though. you will seldom run into enemy infantry without seeing them at range because its all wood, except in bunkers and houses at the germinter, where the SL will really be a fool to run in first anyway - at least not before a nade is tossed.

With NCO kit, you really have what the scout has plus a pistol, which is defeated in its significance since the pistol was there to help lead the troops; a fact lost once the rifle comes into play.

But since leaders like Dick Winters were known for using their m1 garands, and it wasn't out of the ordinary, its a fair option once in a while. Say, an m1 garand versus the thompson alongside the m1a1 carbine.

i think FH1 had this in some maps too.