Author Topic: German Shovel  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
German Shovel
« on: 26-10-2009, 02:10:20 »
I was wondering why we use Wehrmacht K98 bayonet as principal melee weapon? Sure in the K98 that comes with a few kits is necessary because the K98 could be fitted with a bayonet...but what about the kits that comes with a MP44-MP44 ZF, MP40, G43-G43 ZF, K98 ZF, MP40, unteroffizier...

« Last Edit: 26-10-2009, 03:10:42 by Yustax »

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
Re: German Shovel
« Reply #1 on: 26-10-2009, 03:10:40 »
I always thought that entrenchment tools were more of that...a tool rather than an official combat weapon though. Yeah, I'm sure they utilized as weapons when necessary, but wouldn't a standard combat/boot knife be more appropriate?  

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-10-2009, 03:10:51 »
I always thought that entrenchment tools were more of that...a tool rather than an official combat weapon though. Yeah, I'm sure they utilized as weapons when necessary, but wouldn't a standard combat/boot knife be more appropriate?  

Nope, shovels were far more commonly used in hand to hand then bayonets, due to the dual purpose, and the fact that you can use it as an axe basically.  Most soldiers would actually sharpen down a side purely for hand to hand combat.  My original WW1 shovel has that filed down side....

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26-10-2009, 03:10:55 »

Nope, shovels were far more commonly used in hand to hand then bayonets, due to the dual purpose, and the fact that you can use it as an axe basically.  Most soldiers would actually sharpen down a side purely for hand to hand combat.  My original WW1 shovel has that filed down side....

Exactly it have that double purpose of entrenchment tool and it can be used as a melee weapon. You should see what the Spetsnaz do with their combat axes.

Offline Ekalbs

• Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26-10-2009, 05:10:01 »
Axes for the win!
Warhammer 40,000: Unverse At War Dev Team
Battlefield 1918 Coder

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-10-2009, 07:10:25 »
It cant get more FH than shovelling an allied intruder in the neck as he is trying to grey a flag  8)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26-10-2009, 08:10:37 »
I'd say pitchforking a sneaky american on PDH is more FH  8)

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-10-2009, 10:10:40 »
Yes... spades.. they can be deadly weapons.

Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26-10-2009, 12:10:27 »
Seeing as this is not ingame yet I clearly diagnose the obvious fact that FH2 is totally allies-biased and hardly playable...  :-\  :-*

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26-10-2009, 13:10:39 »
its on our todo list for a long time. Its the forgotten hope brand imo.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #10 on: 26-10-2009, 13:10:29 »
Yes... spades.. they can be deadly weapons.

saw a documentry about spetsnez the other day - the shovel being a weapon for the spetz, this one guy, he totally loved his shovel, practised day after day after day, soab could cut a melon clean in two from 20 paces, that's the last thing I'd want to see coming at me - a sharpened shovel.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline HappyFunBall

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26-10-2009, 18:10:06 »
Makes sense, if I had to choose between fighting with an axe, and fighting with a knife, I'll take the axe every time.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26-10-2009, 18:10:57 »
Yup, axes are nice.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Cpl. Mallard

• Proud owner of an SMLE Mk.III*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28-10-2009, 04:10:34 »
Heres my WWII shovel that my buddy picked up at a small shop in Normandy, great place for a collector! Don't know if you can tell but the end is almost razor sharp and obviously filed down!

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m66/prestonmallard/?action=view&current=sho.jpg

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m66/prestonmallard/?action=view&current=shov.jpg

By the way, can someone tell me how to put pictures directly on the post, like Thorondors viking guy?
« Last Edit: 28-10-2009, 04:10:20 by Cpl. Mallard »
"And on the sixth day, God saw the need of a high powered rifle that could slaughter Germans at ranges in excess of 2000 yards, and so He created the Lee Enfield. And He saw that it was good, and so on the seventh day, God rested."

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28-10-2009, 04:10:42 »
Heres my WWII shovel that my buddy picked up at a small shop in Normandy, great place for a collector! Don't know if you can tell but the end is almost razor sharp and obviously filed down!

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m66/prestonmallard/?action=view&current=sho.jpg

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m66/prestonmallard/?action=view&current=shov.jpg

By the way, can someone tell me how to put pictures directly on the post, like Thorondors viking guy?

From photobucket, just copy and paste the "IMG Code" entry.  For other pictures, right click the image and chose "Copy Image Location" then paste that url between img tags, like so:
Code: [Select]
[img]http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m66/prestonmallard/sho.jpg[/img]
That code makes this appear:

Also, if the image is larger than 800 pixels in width, use this code instead:
Code: [Select]
[img width=780](the url of the image)[/img]  That will stop the picture from stretching the forums.