Author Topic: WW1 Evening Airshow in NZ  (Read 769 times)

Offline LtJimmy

• Confirmed FH2 Suggestion Thread Cynic
    • View Profile
WW1 Evening Airshow in NZ
« on: 26-03-2011, 14:03:21 »
Yesterday I went to the WW1 Evening Airshow hosted by The Vintage Aviator Ltd who you may or may not know is chaired by none other then Sir Peter Jackson. Unlike other airshow which feature one, maybe two World War One aircraft, this one was almost entirely dedicated to the aircraft of the First World War.

http://img854.imageshack.us/g/ww1eveningairshowmarch2.jpg/

Oh, and I got to touch the Camel ;D

The photo was actually taken by the pilot of that magnificent aircraft.

Links: http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
Re: WW1 Evening Airshow in NZ
« Reply #1 on: 26-03-2011, 16:03:53 »
Great photos and thanks for sharing!

But shouldn't this be posted in the Walkaround thread?

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #2 on: 27-03-2011, 14:03:53 »
Thanks for the great photos! There's something about seeing all these WW1 planes together (even if they are replicas). I'd love to go to an airshow like this!

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27-03-2011, 14:03:03 »
They are all so pretty! And must've sounded great.
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline LtJimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28-03-2011, 05:03:55 »
Thanks for the great photos! There's something about seeing all these WW1 planes together (even if they are replicas). I'd love to go to an airshow like this!
[rage]Calling them replicas makes them (and the people who worked on them) sound cheap, as if they are just repainted Tiger Moths or something. Pretty much all the aircraft there are made from the ground up from the original manufacturers specs, but since they aren't the original parts from the original manufacturer from around 100 years ago as apposed to say a brand new engine built 2 years that is down to the minutes details the same as one made 100 years ago, they are instantly labelled 'replicas'.
I dunno, just pisses me off a bit, no offense[/rage]

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #5 on: 28-03-2011, 21:03:12 »
Oops, sorry to cause the rage! No offence taken. It's ok, I certainly didn't mean the word in such a demeaning way. But you must admit there is a difference between having the originals still flying having survived 95/70 years and been through the real wars and the newer ones that have been built, however wonderfully, recently.

Purely out of interest: what would you call these not planes if not replicas?

I really do find these new builds amazing examples of craftsmanship and detailed work and am very impressed that these people have taken the time and effort to build so many great planes :)

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #6 on: 28-03-2011, 21:03:44 »
[rage]Calling them replicas makes them (and the people who worked on them) sound cheap, as if they are just repainted Tiger Moths or something. Pretty much all the aircraft there are made from the ground up from the original manufacturers specs, but since they aren't the original parts from the original manufacturer from around 100 years ago as apposed to say a brand new engine built 2 years that is down to the minutes details the same as one made 100 years ago, they are instantly labelled 'replicas'.
I dunno, just pisses me off a bit, no offense[/rage]

It still is a replication. It's not made during WWI, is it?
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline LtJimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29-03-2011, 01:03:48 »
Granted, but I still think it cheapens the work and effort that went into these magnificent machines :)

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30-03-2011, 10:03:01 »
It still is a replication. It's not made during WWI, is it?
The same stigma applies to any replica.

Take the automotive scene, muscle cars in particular...

You can build an identical replica of the most desirable muscle car ever built and it will only ever be worth a fraction of the real thing, even though the replica would be a better car having been lovingly restored as opposed to spewed off a production line.

And as aware of that fact as I am, a replica is merely a nice car, whilst the real thing makes me weak at the knees... :P

@Jimmy: Is that a rep...new Mark IV(?) I see in the background? ;)