Author Topic: Forgotten Hope News Update: 23th April 2009: HEAT Resistant  (Read 23971 times)

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
HEAT Resistant

Hello and welcome back to another update of Forgotten Hope. Today we have a small announcement regarding our old forums, renders of the American machinegun and the German Panzer IV H, some screenshots taking during the betatesting of Lebisey and an advertisement from the German Forgotten Hope 2 community History is War. Before we carry on to any of this though, we would like to welcome our new modeller and skinner Herc!

Read the rest of this update on our website.

« Last Edit: 11-09-2009, 01:09:09 by Lobo »

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
Re: HEAT Resistant
« Reply #1 on: 23-04-2009, 01:04:04 »
Nice work guys  :).

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23-04-2009, 01:04:21 »
Awesome!  Yay .30 cal!  Yay Panzer 4H!  Yay Lebisey Screenshots!  Yay new dev, Herc!

Yay update!

Ahem.  Now that my excitement has subsided a little, I'm assuming the non-tripod .30 cal will be used as a static defense, and maybe on pintle mounts?  Also, the update implies that the Panzer4H is completely immune to HEAT weapons from the sides.  Is this true?  The skirts in the render don't seem to cover 100% of the side of the tank (the bottom, rear and possibly forward parts of the tracks seem to be exposed, at the very least).  I'm assuming the update isn't completely literal saying the "sides are fully protected."  Sorry I'm so nit-picky, but the Panzer 4H was one of my favorite tanks in FH1 and I want to know more about it.

Anyway, thanks for the update!  Hopefully this will sustain the masses who are hungry for info.
« Last Edit: 23-04-2009, 01:04:12 by Ionizer »

Online VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23-04-2009, 01:04:23 »
OH nommy, Pz4H :D

Offline pheeph

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23-04-2009, 01:04:23 »
so if a bazooka or PIAT shot hits the sides, it will do no damage or do a little damage?

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23-04-2009, 01:04:18 »
so if a bazooka or PIAT shot hits the sides, it will do no damage or do a little damage?

No damage if it hits the skirt. However with that being said they're not totally invoulnerable. I've taken out many a panzer 4h with bazookas/piats.
« Last Edit: 23-04-2009, 01:04:48 by Kev4000 »

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope News Update: 23th April 2009: HEAT Resistant
« Reply #6 on: 23-04-2009, 02:04:29 »
BTW: The IRC Chat does not work, so in toy just go to gamesurge.com/chat and type it '/join #fhmod', then it'll work.
And if you could fix this by the next update, that would be nice.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23-04-2009, 02:04:55 »
 Nice update,  Welcome aboard to the new dev Herc, now get to work  ;D

I still think Toddel's hard work to improve the collision meshes was the single greatest improvement to FH2 made to date. The Panzer IV looks pretty too, but I guess code limitations are the reason why the schurzen will be immune to our PIAT and Bazooka fire, as IRL once the protective skirt is compromised, it has lost all protective qualities.

An additional welcome to the new German tournament but it does beg the question, "how many more tournaments does this mod need before we run out of players on the Public servers?"

My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23-04-2009, 02:04:37 »
Awesome work. Nice job on the m1919 and welcome to Herc.
« Last Edit: 23-04-2009, 02:04:55 by Alakazou »

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23-04-2009, 02:04:36 »
The Panzer IV looks pretty too, but I guess code limitations are the reason why the schurzen will be immune to our PIAT and Bazooka fire, as IRL once the protective skirt is compromised, it has lost all protective qualities.

Schurzen is indeed susposed to protect the tank from HEAT projectiles. Realistically there'd either be a pretty big hole in these after being hit, or they'd simply fall off. The two latter cannot be done on the BF2 engine though. Since the crew would still be alive and kicking with a fully operation tank, we've decided to comprimise by HEAT projectiles not doing any damage (when hitting skirts, still do damage if they hit the hull), just like in FH1.
« Last Edit: 23-04-2009, 02:04:37 by Kev4000 »

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23-04-2009, 02:04:36 »
Not even a little bit of damage ???, it would be nice if there was a compromise. I would much prefer if (handheld AT weapons) did a small amount of damage against tanks to reflect the futility of hitting such areas while still not rendering tankers immune to one of their greatest threats in built up areas.

If that is the case for the schurzen protecting 100%,  does this then mean that the sandbagged Sherman and other field expedient variants, for example, will be immune to panzerfaust and panzerschreck projectiles on their protected areas?
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline [CHN]Harrier

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23-04-2009, 02:04:03 »
Hi, guys. Do you find the most inportant news?

"That's all for now, but be sure to come back next week for another update. "

not "next time" as usual. ;D

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23-04-2009, 02:04:15 »
sheikyerbouti, only immune in the skirts area, check the render and you can see not covered parts even in the sides. Yes, sandbags work simmilar, perhaps double spaced armour too?, russian tankers placed bed frames, etc

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #13 on: 23-04-2009, 03:04:24 »
Well, anything that makes the HEAT shell explode further away is going to work, that copper jet is a lazy bastard that won't travel far.

Nice work.  I assume the Pz4H has 2 different skins judging by the different numbers in the render.  I especially like the screenshot with the jeep.  Welcome to Herc too.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23-04-2009, 03:04:03 »
*Watching screenshots and drooling. Om nom nom nom...*