Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 180811 times)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #345 on: 27-12-2009, 13:12:53 »
Rescue Dawn
- Seeing this movie and the documentary "Little Dieter needs to fly" again is sweet.
Great movie and also the documentary is amazing. Dieter Dengler grows up in the end of World War II Germany and dreams of flying fighter planes. After turning 18 he goes to America and joins the air force. And in 1965 he and his A1 Skyraider is shotdown above Laos in the early days of the Vietnam War.

Amazing story and amazing person.

The Essence of Cool
- A great documentary about Steve McQueen. From his early days at the youth home in Indiana to his glory days as a notorious playboy till the very end in 1980.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: 27-12-2009, 14:12:33 »
Eugene from Eugene... that guy should go for an Oscar!

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #347 on: 27-12-2009, 15:12:02 »
Ah, yes. All the prisoners did a great job. And especially the Eugene guy, and look at his body! How anybody can still act and being so pale and thin is beyond me...

Anyhow:

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the ring (Extended version)
- Always been my favorite in the LOTR trilogy. But the first time around seeing the extended version of this. Liked it very much, some years have passed since the release of this movie which is noticeable a few times when the bluescreen is working overtime...

Anyhow, still a great movie. And I love the extended bits. Especially the Boromir parts, shines a new light on the character.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: 27-12-2009, 16:12:31 »
Eugene from Eugene was also Uphalm. Tithothy.E from SPR :-)

That guy's got talent - Pitty I don't see more of em

@ Rawhide
Actually, amazing, was flipping through my movies and stumbled across LotR trilogy: EXTENDED and was just perusing the action sequences... Should get the time to watch em all again... Great movie that - Were it at the end of this decade rather than the begining, few would have much to complain about - They sure did the effects good.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: 27-12-2009, 16:12:15 »
I still think that Return of the King is the greatest film of all time.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #350 on: 27-12-2009, 16:12:00 »

...no. Assembly is.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: 27-12-2009, 16:12:13 »
I found LOTR boring like what. I have the trilogy on DVD and one weekend I dedicated myself to watch them. I learned that if I would pause the movie to go to a toilet or get something to bite so I wouldnt miss a thing, I'd come back and continue watching, I wouldnt see anything interesting. But if I didnt pause it while going away for a mere minute, then all hell would break loose. Epic battles and interesting events, but the moment I sit down again, it would become boring again.

That movie is against me. :(

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: 27-12-2009, 17:12:56 »
You probably belong to that school of thought who believe all three movies were about people walking - LOL

I personally thought The Fellowship was the best. The two towers was a cool action sequence and had the most for humour with Gimle and the elf... but that's really what it was... A fight scene

Return of the king wasn't bad but it dra-AAAAgged. It could have ended 15 or so minutes before it did.

Fellowship had the best narration, best build, best flow and quite epic fight scenes. And it was more reasonable with its sfx

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: 27-12-2009, 17:12:56 »
You probably belong to that school of thought who believe all three movies were about people walking - LOL

There was something else to it? Apart from obvious fighting scenes and Elijah Wood looking all "D:" most of the time.

Offline Turkletoon

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: 27-12-2009, 17:12:44 »

...no. Assembly is.

You got that right. That one together with Brotherhood, the best war films ever made.
Downfall is nice too

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #355 on: 27-12-2009, 17:12:52 »

...no. Assembly is.

You got that right. That one together with Brotherhood, the best war films ever made.
Downfall is nice too

gran torino

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: 27-12-2009, 17:12:24 »
LOTR is good, but just good. I couldn't find why the people like it soo much. Being a fan of the cartoon during my childhood, i think the current LOTR is a totally watered down and being an "unintelligent" version of the original story (which many novel-based movie did). The dialogues in the cartoon itself was said to be simplified a lot from the original novel.

You see a lot of dialogues are clearly emasculated in the movie, losing its epic-ness essence. Just try to connect the story with the typical current-day generally smartass, self-serving, self-righteous, Aussie-like tall poppy syndrome audiences. The critics somehow missed this.

I put the film in the same category with Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor and Transformers. Except LOTR is much much more better. The similarity is that, although the fights, actions, on all movies are epic, they did destroy some part of the movie, like the story in both Bay's movie and in LOTR's case, the dialogues between the characters. But the story of that movie is still good. My favorite would be the Fellowship of the Ring (the first installment), since it is the most understandable for me.

Offline Turkletoon

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: 27-12-2009, 18:12:53 »
gran torino
That one is good too, even though I think some of  the young actors could have been better. But Clint Eastwood has always been a favorite of mine. Especially when directed by Sergio Leone

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: 27-12-2009, 18:12:15 »
LOTR is good, but just good. I couldn't find why the people like it soo much. Being a fan of the cartoon during my childhood, i think the current LOTR is a totally watered down and being an "unintelligent" version of the original story (which many novel-based movie did). The dialogues in the cartoon itself was said to be simplified a lot from the original novel.

You see a lot of dialogues are clearly emasculated in the movie, losing its epic-ness essence. Just try to connect the story with the typical current-day generally smartass, self-serving, self-righteous, Aussie-like tall poppy syndrome audiences. The critics somehow missed this.

I put the film in the same category with Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor and Transformers. Except LOTR is much much more better. The similarity is that, although the fights, actions, on all movies are epic, they did destroy some part of the movie, like the story in both Bay's movie and in LOTR's case, the dialogues between the characters. But the story of that movie is still good. My favorite would be the Fellowship of the Ring (the first installment), since it is the most understandable for me.

LoTR is one of the few films which I think was better than the book, not that Tolkien's writing were bad, I just think the films executed it better.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: 27-12-2009, 20:12:50 »
It was a tough book to make in a movie while still doing justice to it... And I thought the dialogue was actually well done.. they could have speaking almost like today's English

Hey, what are you saying about Michael Bay... Why do people hate Pearl Harbor so much, I loved that movie... Ok, wait a minute, don't -ve rep me! *Runs away*