Author Topic: Giving Aberdeen some love  (Read 12404 times)

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
Re: Giving Aberdeen some love
« Reply #60 on: 01-02-2011, 19:02:25 »
..There will be matildas  :-[

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 01-02-2011, 19:02:16 »
Please, don't tell me you want to fire the Valentine from the only map where it is. That would make me a sad bunny.  :'(
I agree, even though the map has no resemblance to real terrain, keeping to the Aberdeen theme would be better as it would allow Val.

Although, since Hatab river did split the Kasserine battlefield in half, it would fit.

Did the Americans not have any Shermans in Kasserine?

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #62 on: 01-02-2011, 20:02:07 »
Well maybe for FH2 sake I will add a few valentines.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 01-02-2011, 20:02:40 »
Please, don't tell me you want to fire the Valentine from the only map where it is. That would make me a sad bunny.  :'(
I agree, even though the map has no resemblance to real terrain, keeping to the Aberdeen theme would be better as it would allow Val.

Although, since Hatab river did split the Kasserine battlefield in half, it would fit.

Did the Americans not have any Shermans in Kasserine?

Yes, they had plenty.

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 01-02-2011, 20:02:02 »
Thanks for being the first one to step up Josh.

From my 5 minute research it sounded like stuarts and grants in the first go round, then shermans in the push back?

and a 5 minute cheesy idea for promoting it.  I think it would be best to have a few versions to test.  Whether they were Aberdeen, Kasserine or something else.  Get the maps done by End of Feb, put together an installer, then play.  Just need a few more mappers to make some different versions.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 01-02-2011, 20:02:12 »
you may want to chang ethe ligthing and make it more sunny xD

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #66 on: 01-02-2011, 21:02:23 »
According to VM the main allied tanks would be Crusaders and Honeys, followed by Grants and Matildas.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 01-02-2011, 21:02:30 »
During Aberdeen? Correctomundo. But *also* Valentines. But yes, he said the magic word "Main". Majority of tanks were Stuarts and Crusaders. Dont ignore sweet sweet Valentine. ;)

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 01-02-2011, 21:02:50 »
Get the maps done by End of Feb, put together an installer, then play.  Just need a few more mappers to make some different versions.

I love the idea to let the community decide and discuss about the reworking of this map. It would be a great thing for the community and a chance to participate in the development of this map. It might be even an interesting look behind the scenes, how a map is done and what the mappers have to think about and such

azreal

« Reply #69 on: 01-02-2011, 22:02:43 »
Thanks for being the first one to step up Josh.

From my 5 minute research it sounded like stuarts and grants in the first go round, then shermans in the push back?

and a 5 minute cheesy idea for promoting it.  I think it would be best to have a few versions to test.  Whether they were Aberdeen, Kasserine or something else.  Get the maps done by End of Feb, put together an installer, then play.  Just need a few more mappers to make some different versions.

Start a thread in the modding sub-forum and I'll be glad to help out.

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 01-02-2011, 22:02:42 »

Start a thread in the modding sub-forum and I'll be glad to help out.

I wasn't sure where to put the thread, since it is sort of tied to both forums.

The suggestion forum part is : Would the devteam be up to allowing the community to try and improve Aberdeen since it is (nearly) universally disliked.
The modding forum part is: We need community mappers to try reworking the map.

If the moderator overlords want it in one forum or the other, i've no beef.  Or were you thinking splitting it in a manner?

azreal

« Reply #71 on: 01-02-2011, 22:02:37 »
The question is not whether or not we'd allow the community to undertake such a project. We theoretically have no control over what individuals do with our maps. The only thing we control is whether or not it goes into the mod.

The question is...the quality of the resulting map after the project is complete. If the map is still crap, we won't bother with it, but if its good enough, we'll take a look at it.

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 01-02-2011, 22:02:14 »
The question is not whether or not we'd allow the community to undertake such a project. We theoretically have no control over what individuals do with our maps. The only thing we control is whether or not it goes into the mod.

The question is...the quality of the resulting map after the project is complete. If the map is still crap, we won't bother with it, but if its good enough, we'll take a look at it.

That's what I presumed.  I think having 3-4 people trying to come up with better gameplay ideas/implementations will be more likely to find a winner that is better that the status quo.  And it could make it more fun to have a few versions to play test at one time.

Offline evhgear

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 01-02-2011, 22:02:12 »
The devs team should continue working on new things like new theaters, vehicles etc. even if I would like a lot NA maps to be put up to date, so let the community work on that and let devs work on the Bulge and the future Eastern front. The only thing that devs will need to do is to validate the work made, and to come play on the beta server specialy created for testing new maps :P

Offline Lloydyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 13-02-2011, 17:02:43 »
well heres my ideas, incase your still interested

Aberdeen V.2

or US vs Germans in El Guettar

the grey flags on the El Guettar version to not give any new vehicles, just static emplacements such as AT guns or MGs, the main vehicle forces only come from the base
(btw the 745th Tank Regiment is controlled by US, still new to Photoshop)
« Last Edit: 13-02-2011, 17:02:28 by Lloydyboy »