Alam Halfa
Operation Hyacinth
El Alamein
Operation Supercharge
Sidi Bou Zid
Mareth Line
Tunis
I wouldn't remove anything

Author Topic: Would you remove any maps?  (Read 3363 times)

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
Re: Would you remove any maps?
« Reply #15 on: 31-01-2017, 21:01:14 »
Haha I would rid myself of Alam Halfa in an instant.
My personal taste is so against that map, it's almost comical.

One of my favourites  ;)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01-02-2017, 21:02:37 »
Most maps which have votes now can be adjusted with some tweaks and then they will play better, resulting in less hate for them. Except for Hyacinth maybe, I think that one is a lost cause ;)

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01-02-2017, 21:02:06 »
Most maps which have votes now can be adjusted with some tweaks and then they will play better, resulting in less hate for them. Except for Hyacinth maybe, I think that one is a lost cause ;)

No map is beyond help in the pious Church of Lushotology. Just relegate that god-awful objective mode to 32p layer!

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02-02-2017, 19:02:15 »
Every single CMP map, barring MAYBE Iwo Jima and Tarawa.

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03-02-2017, 16:02:49 »
I'd remove nothing. Every "bad" map has a good bit, and every good map has a bad bit.

I just wish the good old hslan server came back.
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15-02-2017, 10:02:22 »
CMP + almost all early war maps

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15-02-2017, 15:02:53 »
Is something wrong with the math of the voting system ?

37 people voted.   
22 voted No Changes, then only 15 votes left on maps. Or do some people have more than 1 vote ?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15-02-2017, 16:02:27 »
Everybody has.

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15-02-2017, 16:02:27 »
Ok. Thats a crazy way of polling.
Happy for the 22 "No Changes" votes  :)

Offline elander

• [DLF]
    • View Profile
    • Den Lede Fi
« Reply #24 on: 15-02-2017, 19:02:17 »
I wouldn't remove any map. Me <3 Devs

Disclaimer - Personal Opinions are not shared with DLF

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15-02-2017, 19:02:37 »
Why are people so keen of removing stuff in a free mod is beyond my imagination? Creating is harder than destroying ::)

Even if stuff was handled different back in the days or under different standards, I would find it to be a disrespect to remove content created by people who have contributed to this mod and aren't still around anymore. What we like or not in this mod, is most of the time pretty subjective.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17-02-2017, 07:02:29 »
There is a lot of competition these days. Back then when FH is still 0.67, we were grateful when there is a game that let you drive a Churchill tank, although very diminutive in size. We would gladly play a map, even though fictional, just to see KV-2 wreaking havoc. Now you got tons of games catering to do just that.

But since FH2, the tone is set. The devs want full quality and accuracy. They decided to create Aberdeen and Ramelle-Neuville. One is arguably a movie set, and the other is just a random ground to put rarely used vehicle into play. One got removed the other stay.

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17-02-2017, 09:02:46 »
If need to remove, that would be Ramelle. Also maybe Marteh line till someone remakes gamplay etc.  And Hyacinth wouldnt remove because of special gamplay and enviroment not seen in any other map.
And CMP, I told my taughts in that other tread(sum is: only Pacific and Italian campain)
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline Adûnâi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21-02-2017, 22:02:17 »
There is a lot of competition these days.

Seriously? I don't see any competition to FH2. There is not a single game on the market that is close to FH2. The only vaguely similar one is Heroes & Generals, but the business model is ridiculous, and the maps are generic lazy Western front forest trash.

There is absolutely no competition. There is no other game that puts 100 players on a huge realistic map with tanks and planes, and which is casual enough. FH2 just doesn't have enough advertisement, that's it.

They decided to create Aberdeen and Ramelle-Neuville. One is arguably a movie set, and the other is just a random ground to put rarely used vehicle into play. One got removed the other stay.

Do people hate Ramelle-Neuville? It's one of my favourite ones, an utter bloodbath, the closest we have to Stalingrad.

Yes, it has few vehicles, but it has still twice as many players in a match as Red Orchestra 2.

On the topic.

I've learned to play desert maps, but the Italian ones are still garbage, imo. I love to see them receiving a bit of hate here ^^

I mostly hate CMP maps, but there are at least 7 that I enjoy (Orscholz Switch, Operation Nordwind, Sidi Rezegh, Argentan, Brecourt Manor, Vosges Mountains, Westwall).

And the air maps are absolutely astonishing (Bombing the Reich and Battle of Britain)

Overall, I'd like to see a more meaningful rotation, especially on weekends when it matters most. It's a pity to see the server's strength sucked off by unexpected Operation Supercharge.

I doubt it's that hard to plan a few generally good maps for when the server is alive.

Seelow > Operation Totalize > El Alamein > Arad > Operation Goodwood > Bombing the Reich would be the dream.
The Sin'dorei reign supreme! © Grand Astromancer Capernian

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22-02-2017, 13:02:49 »
For starter, you can count in games like Companies of Heroes, Man of War, the remake of DoD, that ARMA WW2 mod, Red Orchestra series, and many other WW2 games I may not know of.
They may not suit our taste, but we don't say for many other people who simply switched to other games, abandoning FH altogether.

Another competition is real life. A lot of people I know are gone from this community. This is quite difficult for old timer like me, but that's life.

Ramelle-Neuville is fun, sure. But you mentioned that unlike other "lazy... trash", FH2 puts 100 players on a "huge realistic map" Now, the spirit of FH2 may not be totally 100% realistic, but they are "historically accurate", and the name Forgotten Hope itself means to capture the forgotten battles or participating army in WW2 rarely portrayed in pop history media (games / movies / documentaries / etc) - which is why FH has a dedicated researcher from time to time. But of course, to gain more players, we need to suck up to people's crave to be in a Hollywood movie or in the popular side of mainstream audience, pretending to be Captain Miller or Sgt. Hovarth or Pvt. Jackson there, slaughtering "elite" Nazis. That is inaccurate, regardless of whether it is fun or not. I make peace with its existence as a "marketing tool" for FH2. Sure, I won't remove anything from the official FH2 release, but if asked... what that should be, my answer would be Ramelle-Neuville, it has incorrectly coloured uniform (not through shader filter / lens filter as in the movie), and generally don't fit the general theme of FH.

Actually remove it? Don't!
« Last Edit: 22-02-2017, 13:02:41 by Zoologic »