Author Topic: In the news...  (Read 15853 times)

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
In the news...
« on: 23-08-2013, 04:08:24 »
Let's be honest here, the forum needs a news discussion thread otherwise it'll just end up where it doesn't really belong and spawn dozens of dedicated threads. Local, global, politics, conflicts, science, gardening, economics, whatever.

Starting off:
A cat in New Zealand needed a immediate blood transfusion, so it was donated by a dog on the spot.
http://www.khaleejtimes.ae/kt-article-display-1.asp?xfile=/data/international/2013/August/international_August435.xml&section=international

Huge chemical attack in Syria, real game changer here.
WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES
http://gulfnews.com/news/region/syria/strong-indications-syria-government-behind-attack-1.1223114
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCVRhbNQ4nc
(Note: Kavkaz Center is a extremist website, but still a news site)
http://www.kavkazcenter.com/eng/content/2013/08/22/18193.shtml

The last of the Nixon tapes (that are known to exist) have recently been released.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323665504579026862918203726.html

Google's new gadget, FBI claims the key players of the group Anonymous have been taken down, and emoticons on Twitter are used to map happiness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHIGLN8ggl4

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
Re: In the news...
« Reply #1 on: 23-08-2013, 09:08:08 »
Wow, Syria is really bad guys VS. bad guys, and these images are so sad. But I still support Assad, he's the less worse one, and him staying on charge would be better for my country.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23-08-2013, 22:08:12 »
It's been speculated that the cause was from the shelling of a chemical weapons depot of the sort, but there's no proof. I'm not glad it happened, I wish it didn't, but somebody is in trouble. New estimates of the dead are coming in, at about 1,700, the UN was also denied access to the site despite it practically being in view from where they're staying at. It'd be nice if the rest of the world got rid of Assad and the rebels.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23-08-2013, 22:08:50 »
I really cant depict any future for Syria right now. Its really blurry, the future. Was it FSA or SA?

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24-08-2013, 04:08:10 »
US intelligence recently reported the Syrian chemical weapons sites (It's inhumane for them to exist in the first place and their existence is denied by the Syrian government) were busy before the attack. The area was heavily bombarded after the attack (Maybe to destroy evidence?) as well. The Syrian government is blaming the rebels and the rebels are blaming the government, most of the world blames the government and the rest blames the rebels. It was said that after this a diplomatic solution would be impossible.

But hey, the buildings damaged in this war means more room for oil fields at the end of it, eh?

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-08-2013, 22:08:45 »
IDS HABBENINK

US says chemical weapons were "undeniably" used in Syria, al-Assad regime is "culpable" for this "moral obscenity", and White House is "considering a response".

Remove Bashar in 3... 2... 1...

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26-08-2013, 23:08:25 »
Yeah.. say hello to Islamic "Republic" of Syria.

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-08-2013, 23:08:40 »
More jihadists, yeah, sure, why not.
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27-08-2013, 08:08:09 »

Can´t believe that the people the West fought and still fights in other countries, like Iraq and Afghanistan, are being hailed as heroes and freedom fighters by us in Syria.
If we´ll get into this mess it´ll bite us back into our own asses in the near future. Especially with a growing numbers of "European" volunteers fighting together with thugs like the Al-Nusra Brigade and other Jihadi units. We should stay the hell out of this religiously justified proxy war between the Sunni Gulf States and Shia Iran. It´s their fight, not ours.
« Last Edit: 27-08-2013, 08:08:57 by hOMEr_jAy »
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27-08-2013, 10:08:17 »

Can´t believe that the people the West fought and still fights in other countries, like Iraq and Afghanistan, are being hailed as heroes and freedom fighters by us in Syria.
If we´ll get into this mess it´ll bite us back into our own asses in the near future. Especially with a growing numbers of "European" volunteers fighting together with thugs like the Al-Nusra Brigade and other Jihadi units. We should stay the hell out of this religiously justified proxy war between the Sunni Gulf States and Shia Iran. It´s their fight, not ours.

Well said.
After Assad has been cleared out of the way by an intervention, those jihadi's will start fighting the "liberators" because they "occupy" their country. This will probably spark off a wave of terrorism attacks in pretty much every country in Europe and America. It might even come to an all-out civil war. All because Obama and Cameron couldn't keep their warmongering paws off.

World police, my arse!  >:(
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27-08-2013, 13:08:41 »

The "Islamic Republic" (Iran) supported the Assad regime, a fellow Shiite but a bit more secular because of their Ba'athist background. The other Shiite party in this is Hezballah which is nesting in Lebanon and quite fundamentalist. The rebel supported by US is Sunni, the majority of the populace. Some of which are die-hard fanatics.

Overturning the balance? When in Iraq, US toppled a secular Arab nationalist Sunni-government (also a Ba'athist) with unclear current Shiite-dominated government.

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-08-2013, 15:08:10 »

Hello

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27-08-2013, 15:08:37 »
The "Islamic Republic" (Iran) supported the Assad regime, a fellow Shiite but a bit more secular because of their Ba'athist background. The other Shiite party in this is Hezballah which is nesting in Lebanon and quite fundamentalist. The rebel supported by US is Sunni, the majority of the populace. Some of which are die-hard fanatics.

Overturning the balance? When in Iraq, US toppled a secular Arab nationalist Sunni-government (also a Ba'athist) with unclear current Shiite-dominated government.

Are you implying that Shiites can´t run a country without said country turning into an extremist cesspool?

And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27-08-2013, 18:08:15 »
It is actually quite the contrary, and depends on how you look at it. But I am saying that you got to look at the geopolitical map of the region and understand which country support each other:

Saudi Arabia: a Sunni-dominated kingdom, very strict with Islamic codes, a lot of restrictions for non-Muslim and woman alike. They are very troublesome, but is a very close USA ally.

Iran: a Shiite ruled theological Republic, Islam is the main ideology of the country, however there is much more freedom for women and non-Muslim, including Iranian Jews (which get reserved seat in the parliament). However, they are much hated by USA.

Iraq, Syria, and Bahrain is quite an irony. The natural balance in Iraq has been restored by US invasion, so the Shi'a majority now rules the country. Syria is on the wait. While Bahrain, the Shi'a dominated country, but under Sunni rule, is still unknown. The last major protest was violently silenced with the help of Saudi Arabia.

Now about the Sunni-Shi'a thing. I never knew they were such a serious issue to predominantly Sunni Indonesia until I saw and heard it on my own. So my typically liberal best friend, who is a Muslim and have a quite deep knowledge in it, but love anything hipster and somehow enjoys pork chops. He has a seemingly bitter view of Shi'a scholar views. I can't really fathom that even the most liberals of Sunni people can reserve such hatred towards seemingly bunch of innocent people.

The problem mainly lies in one of the five pillars of Islam itself: that you have to testify that Prophet Mohammad is the last Prophet of God, and there is nobody else. In Shi'a, this confession sentence is added with reference to Imam Ali, one of the first Caliphs, cousin of Mohammad, which married one of Mohammad's daughter and according to Shi'a disciples, are the legitimate Imam (spiritual leader) of all Muslims. So much praise goes to Imam Ali, that many Muslims questioned whether the Shiites worship this figure, which an act of heresy in Islam teaching.

Many regular Muslims doesn't want the Shiite to refer themselves as Muslims, since the Sunnis regard that the Shi'a teachings are misleading. Last year, there was a riot in one of Indonesia's remote village. The target was a Shi'a mosque, razed and burned to the ground, because they are accused of spreading false Islamic teachings.

Recently on my Facebook page, some of my friends started to discuss about Shi'a teachings spreading to Indonesia, due to our ignorance with Iran's seemingly defiant attitude towards Western hegemony. They talk a lot of how Shi'a followers tried to blend-in in regular mosque and how their prayer book contains no reference at all to Mohammad (as the last Prophet), but only to Ali and his family. And about how they avoid discussion by being taqiya (pretending to conform).

I never regard the conflict seriously, since I never experience it life, but when I saw one Shia family house being surrounded by angry mobs, now I realised. Probably it is not just the Syrian people unleashing whatever they hate about Al Assad, but probably their religious fervor as well.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27-08-2013, 19:08:35 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk35suofbYQ
What in the name of all the gods... damn the CIA! Once again they've messed the world up beyond that of which I originally thought they already did.