Author Topic: Please Eliminate the Rifle Sway  (Read 5497 times)

Offline AdamPA1006

• View Profile
Please Eliminate the Rifle Sway
« on: 11-04-2009, 00:04:02 »
The upside down "V" shaped sway when looking down the sights for a rifle. My understanding is that the rifle actually doesnt follow this effect, its just client side. This should be removed as it makes longe rang shots harder on an already terrible hit detection system. Please consider and discuss.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
Re: Please Eliminate the Rifle Sway
« Reply #1 on: 11-04-2009, 00:04:39 »
Its fine as it is.  Sure they say that the shot goes to the centre of the screen regardless, but you try finding the centre of the screen under stress.  This I find quite good, it simulates your soldiers tiredness and fear, and though you can easly overcome it, stress very often gets in your way.  If you want to kill someone with a rifle at more than 200m, lie down and take your time.

Offline [CHN]Harrier

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-04-2009, 03:04:27 »
But shooting is still too easy atm. We are always able to make a 200m kill with one shot by the bolt-action rifle if the target is stationary. The rifle is still somewhat like a laser gun. So I strongly suggest to increase the weapon sway when iron-sight aiming.

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-04-2009, 03:04:29 »
To [CHN]Harrier:

Well, a trained riflemen is not at all going to be swaying back and forth dramatically in combat. I mean of course nerves play into that. But, I don't think FH2 should create a stronger artificial nervous system. It should be more of the players nerves that judge how fast he aims, how accurate he is etc. And with in time, he becomes more steady. Aside from this, in real life a trained soldier adapts to combat and his nerves are overtaken with adrenaline. Adrenaline would still produce sway when the soldier aims, but not so much as nerves. Soldiers that have seen combat before run more so off of adrenaline, in comparison to those who haven't.

To all of the skeptics (Adam PA 10006):

You just need to let yourself adjust to it. The current sway in Fh2 is realistic. Any more so and it would be such a bother, and any less would lack realism and.. well, just make it far to easy.

Its really not hard at all to hit something with the sway, from any logical distance  :).

Greetz  :)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-04-2009, 05:04:16 »
But shooting is still too easy atm. We are always able to make a 200m kill with one shot by the bolt-action rifle if the target is stationary. The rifle is still somewhat like a laser gun. So I strongly suggest to increase the weapon sway when iron-sight aiming.

And as people always forget, the riflemen who trained with these rifles trained at 600 yards for an average shot.  Hell, to this DAY, marines are all trained to hit human sized stationary targets at 600 yards.  Now imagine a rifle firing an actual full rifle round, not the puny .223 rounds we use today.  300-400 yards was point blank for these things, 600 easy, and 1000 was easily hittable by an average shooter.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-04-2009, 13:04:19 »
But isn´t it more difficult under a real combat situation? I mean, on the range it might be easy, but with bullets flying, people dying and all that stuff that happens in a real combat situation it should be much harder to concentrate on a moving target that also shoots back.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-04-2009, 17:04:12 »

And as people always forget, the riflemen who trained with these rifles trained at 600 yards for an average shot.  Hell, to this DAY, marines are all trained to hit human sized stationary targets at 600 yards.  Now imagine a rifle firing an actual full rifle round, not the puny .223 rounds we use today.  300-400 yards was point blank for these things, 600 easy, and 1000 was easily hittable by an average shooter.

now im meters plz.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #7 on: 11-04-2009, 17:04:04 »
In metres: 300-400yds is approx 300-400m, 600yds is approx 600m and so on.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11-04-2009, 18:04:43 »
But isn´t it more difficult under a real combat situation? I mean, on the range it might be easy, but with bullets flying, people dying and all that stuff that happens in a real combat situation it should be much harder to concentrate on a moving target that also shoots back.

Yes, but two things to remember:

1) For the most part, we are playing as experienced combat vets, not as brand new recruits.  Combat vets are more prepared for the fear of war, and more likely to be able to get off good shots without their nerves getting to them.
2) In FH2, if you just fire without bothering to aim, you will indeed prob not hit.  But if you take your time to aim, you'll hit.  This is the same as in real life. :P

Offline [CHN]Harrier

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11-04-2009, 18:04:42 »
Thanks for discussion, guys. 8)

Well, however, training is quite different from real combat. In real combat, except sniping, a soldier can't concentrate to aim at the target very carefully. If he aims for too long, he will easily be exposed and become the prey of the enemy fire. Usually he shoots at the enemy with random fire from behind the cover. That's why thousands or even ten thousands of bullets are consumed to make a kill during ww2. Guys, think about how many bullets you need to kill an enemy in FH2?  ::)

Offline bjack

• in_ur_base, campin ur planez
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11-04-2009, 18:04:38 »
2) In FH2, if you just fire without bothering to aim, you will indeed prob not hit.  But if you take your time to aim, you'll hit.  This is the same as in real life. :P

Nah, I use iron sights only half the time and I tear it up. Mouse aiming in video games is way easy.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11-04-2009, 19:04:17 »
If one has had sufficient practice with rifles then such a minor thing like a sway isn't a problem for him. Simple way to recognise newbies from vets. Also, we wouldn't like to have rifles to be too powerful, now would we?

Offline Kildar

• Have a nice day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11-04-2009, 19:04:29 »
Rifle is fine as it is. It's hard enough for newbies to use it out of the box, and easy enough to learn if given time to yourself.

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11-04-2009, 20:04:58 »
If you trace back to 0.5 or 0.6 you'll be happy there is sway as it stands now.

I for one don't mind it, it makes rifles more challenging to use...but as Kildar said, not horribly difficult to get used to over a short period of time.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11-04-2009, 20:04:56 »
Thanks for discussion, guys. 8)

Well, however, training is quite different from real combat. In real combat, except sniping, a soldier can't concentrate to aim at the target very carefully. If he aims for too long, he will easily be exposed and become the prey of the enemy fire. Usually he shoots at the enemy with random fire from behind the cover. That's why thousands or even ten thousands of bullets are consumed to make a kill during ww2. Guys, think about how many bullets you need to kill an enemy in FH2?  ::)

That's because of something called suppressive fire, which I also use.  It honestly takes less then a second to line up a shot irl, so you're not exposed for long.  The huge amount of bullets used in combat is because IRL, suppressive fire is used a LOT more then in games....