Author Topic: old map rotation repetitive  (Read 2336 times)

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
Re: old map rotation repetitive
« Reply #15 on: 07-08-2012, 20:08:31 »
Very well explained  :)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07-08-2012, 20:08:36 »
Yes, I understand how renting servers works. I was using the "pay more" argument to show that some players leaving your server might not be nice, but it isn't a death sentence or anything.

I guess this is about active administrating: I understand that some maps are used as "serverfillers", and others are less popular. Starting up can be tricky, I know, so an admin should watch the server and when it is afternoon, a serverfiller should be put. After that, server has filled up, risk is gone, right? So active adminning should put the new and less popular maps in prime time, mixed with the more popular maps of course. After peak hours, put some smaller size maps, so the remaining few can have fun too. But yes, that asks for active administrating.

I really think that if all admins will only go the way of "let's not put maps which aren't so popular, as maybe some players will leave the server", then they will kill off part of the mod, and that would be superstupid, imo.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07-08-2012, 22:08:47 »
Yes, I understand how renting servers works. I was using the "pay more" argument to show that some players leaving your server might not be nice, but it isn't a death sentence or anything.

It isn't maybe a death sentence at all, but for that evening or night you have to deal with an empty server. So your money went to hell that evening and you better try to not let this get a normal state. Admins try to minimize this risk as much as possible. It is a psycholocial phenomen that people keep disconnecting if they recognice, that the server gets more and more empty. St. Vith is the most extreme example, but if you have something like this almost every evening then good luck. Next to this it is impossible to predict, when a map will be played during a day. You can give them an order, but it is dependend of many aspects when they show up (crashes, playercount etc). As far as I know is it not good, to just tweak the map rotation to your likings while the server is running, since it seems to cause some problems. Ofcourse you don't have to pay more - but you want to have the maximum use of your invested money. And that's a 24/7 full running server with players on it.

The rest of your post is nothing to argue about.  ;)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08-08-2012, 00:08:14 »
It is a psycholocial phenomen that people keep disconnecting if they recognice, that the server gets more and more empty. St. Vith is the most extreme example, but if you have something like this almost every evening then good luck.
Players will never learn to appreciate the beauty and the gameplay of maps like St Vith when admins chicken out and skip it or remove it from the maplist completely. So, that's one year of work lost entirely. Out of fear, pffft.

Offline 16floz470ml

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08-08-2012, 03:08:01 »
I too am disappointed with the new maps not being run.  I have played a lot since release and have barely played St. Vith and Sidi Bou Zid.  This is bullshit.  The maps are excellent and need to be played.  People want to be drama queens and disconnect just to manipulate server admins.  Looks like it works.   

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08-08-2012, 04:08:07 »
It is a psycholocial phenomen that people keep disconnecting if they recognice, that the server gets more and more empty. St. Vith is the most extreme example, but if you have something like this almost every evening then good luck.
Players will never learn to appreciate the beauty and the gameplay of maps like St Vith when admins chicken out and skip it or remove it from the maplist completely. So, that's one year of work lost entirely. Out of fear, pffft.

It is not completely removed, but it isn't the server filler either. If players leave the server or request to skip the map, then don't blame the admins. Some maps just don't play that well on a public server or aren't so popular. That's a natural thing, I guess. St. Vith has a serious gameplay problem in the german main base area. If it gets improved, I see a good future for this map. Otherwise it will stay a server killer.
« Last Edit: 08-08-2012, 04:08:03 by 5hitm4k3r »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08-08-2012, 08:08:55 »
I just wish the admins could have like 3 alternating map rotations (like every second day). My problem, like the thread starter's is, that I come online at the same time every other evening and when I do, the same 2-3 maps are played. I've had to start my evening playing OP Cobra for 3 weeks straight... bleh... All other maps of this great mod just fall out that way.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Knallkopp_02

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08-08-2012, 09:08:36 »
This is interessting, because 762 #2 and #3 is changing the maprotation every day, but you dont play on 762 i think.

Regards Knallkopp_02

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08-08-2012, 09:08:55 »
Nr.2 and 3 are empty every day...

Offline [WaW]TC|Avrojet

• Server Admins
    • View Profile
    • World at War
« Reply #24 on: 08-08-2012, 09:08:18 »
WaW has reminded it's admins to play different maps. Our rotation does include ALL available maps.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08-08-2012, 10:08:01 »
Thanks Avro, now we'l just need to seed WaW.

Offline FORGOTTENKEVINOHOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08-08-2012, 11:08:41 »
WaW has reminded it's admins to play different maps. Our rotation does include ALL available maps.

get that 64+ code!!!

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08-08-2012, 15:08:08 »
I just wish the admins could have like 3 alternating map rotations (like every second day). My problem, like the thread starter's is, that I come online at the same time every other evening and when I do, the same 2-3 maps are played. I've had to start my evening playing OP Cobra for 3 weeks straight... bleh... All other maps of this great mod just fall out that way.

I have to say, that 762 head admins are doing a good job concerning the wishes of the players. Everybody is free to make a post concerning the maproation in their forum in the suiting thread, and it got tweaked quiet often in the past. It is difficult to please all players, but the efforts are made.

Offline flamedexter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22-08-2012, 10:08:20 »
When i said play the new maps more, i did not mean to remove the older maps entirely nor keep rotation only the "new-er" maps. I am just saying that maybe we should get more diverse map rotation. As a matter of fact it's been a long time since I have seen a match on El Alamien... and that map is pretty old..
Maybe fix the map list rotation like this
ROUND       Map
1            New
2            Old
3            New
5            Old
.             Old
.             New         
.             New

Or maybe base the map rotation on seasons.. like  at first couple of rounds it is desert war El alamien
then progress throughout the Spring Normandy maps( Point du huc,Purple heart lane, Bocage,Vosenack,Hurtgen Forest)... and then to the Winter maps like Bastogne,Eppeldorf...

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22-08-2012, 10:08:18 »
As far as I got it, is El Alamein for example leading to a server crash quiet often. Thatswhy it got removed from the rotation. And Gotkai mentioned the same about Invasion o Crete.