Author Topic: FH2.4 First Immpressions  (Read 24540 times)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Re: FH2.4 First Immpressions
« Reply #210 on: 20-07-2011, 08:07:28 »
holy shit, I just had a WTF moment destroying a Pak 40 on Goodwood with captured Panzerschreck... he was more than 180m away, basically at the very edge of the fog, and I hit him while STANDING... you wouldn't do such thing EVER with either of the Bazookas.. :(
SCHRECK=OP!!!11!1!!1

It's called a lucky shot, nothing to call OP here. ;)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 20-07-2011, 08:07:29 »
I've never been Tk'd by so many people before, just playing as infantry  :-\

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Lydecker

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 20-07-2011, 09:07:56 »
I've never been Tk'd by so many people before, just playing as infantry  :-\

Ditto. Even an experienced eye is sometimes fooled by similar coloring and shadows. The helmet is a dead giveaway, but with 100-200m distance in Hurtgen Forest...

Yesterday on Fall of Tobruk (HSLAN/Axis) we had 3 mortars. I was one and there were 2 others. It took me a while to notice that no matter what was on the target, the other 2 pretty much always dialed 0,0 and shot. TK's were naturally abundant. I usually shot to the sides of screen if target was full of friendlies, depending what it looked on the map and even then, I managed to TK 1-2 guys.

Getting shot in the back on Goodwood by friendly forces was a bit O_o since the uniforms are quite different... Maybe he'd not seen a Brit uniform yet? :)

//Lyd

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 20-07-2011, 10:07:40 »
People will learn.
Don't worry, if you aren't sure, check if he is shooting at you before returning fire.
If you have a bit more time, aim for 3 seconds and wait if a name comes up in blue.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 20-07-2011, 12:07:27 »
i think the angles - while definately making tank combat more interesting - are also creating some wird situations. had this happen on lüttich yesterday: i was in a stug and the 76mm sherman was coming down the street. he saw me a bit earlier and shot my stug in the side while i was turning at him. it only took away 2/3rd of my health so that i could fire a shot at his side, which also damaged him, but appearently didnt kill him. both shots, the shermans and the stugs, should have killed.

I tested on killing stugs in local with 75mm gun of sherman, side shots are perfectly okay, but for rear shots there is a sloped part which you could not 1s1k a stug. Then I tested with a zook and the stug also survived a rear shot to the sloped armour.

somehow the skirt bug is still there but extremely hard to produce a frontal 1s1k with 75mm gun.

panzer IV is totally okay for zooking or whatever, at least in local.

I am a bit surprised that even a 90 degree shot with 75mm gun to the panther's side would not kill it. I don't think that is a very good idea?

the general impression of the angle-mod is that it is amazing, it allows your APC to escape death if your enemy is careless, and tanks like panthers are insanely powerful now. It now beats the sherman 76 pretty easily.

the Sherman jumbo is a bit disappointing, it got 2-shot by a jadgpanther in the front. (I think that guy use regular AP) It was like invincible in FH1.

For maps I love Eppeldorf most, Bastongne 32 is amazing and Bastongne 64 isn't bad too. Hurtgen Forest is nice but those MG positions are totally pointless as they got mortared almost immediately. Also people on the German team are totally clueless of how to defend the last flag. Vossanack is a bit chaotic I think, plenty of back-cappings but the map itself is nice for the layout.

Meuse River ... Hm, not much feeling of a German offensive on 64 server so far. It is just a snowy map with new toys to me.

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 20-07-2011, 12:07:56 »
Mah feerst eempresshon is very nice.
I quite like 2.4 and enjoy every round of it.

The sounds are epic, the tank physics are epic and the weapons are epic.
Also the playermodels are epic.

Now, as I mostly played as an American because the German team was always full, this is mostly an Allied point of view.

Hurtgen Forest - almost my favorite map, it's awesome, I've been waiting for a forest fight too long, it's just great. although without a Squad leader the spawns are a bit far away from the action but nvm.

Eppeldorf - definetely my favorite map, defending the hill or east village is absolutely amazing and it's epic.

Bastogne - It's a remake of Operation Nordwind as much as I can see. Love the Zooks and Can't-see-shit-in-this-god-damned-forest situations xD

Vossenack - Not really a fan of it, a push version would maybe be better but still...Hetzer <3

Meuse River Line - Well, I do kinda like it. I only played German on that map, and the Allied artillery is just a murder. Ninja capping all the time and those god damn quad .50s on halftracks are just annoying.

Overall, I still have many tanks to try out, didn't even got to drive a JagdPanther or the JagdPanzer IV. or any plane for that matter. Let me join hslan immediately!
It's very nice, excellent job devs and testers, thank you!
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 20-07-2011, 12:07:16 »

Hurtgen Forest is nice but those MG positions are totally pointless as they got mortared almost immediately. Also people on the German team are totally clueless of how to defend the last flag.

Hmm interesting as I was having the same thought a few days ago. It shows how quickly players adapt to their environment. But as you might have noticed, MG's don't blow up anymore and the mortar can concentrate on one spot only. So when there is a lull in the mortar pounding at overlook you can manage to get a few shots of with the MG's

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 20-07-2011, 14:07:34 »
the general impression of the angle-mod is that it is amazing, it allows your APC to escape death if your enemy is careless, and tanks like panthers are insanely powerful now. It now beats the sherman 76 pretty easily.

well, the sherman 76 shouldnt be on par with the panther, like it used to be before the patch. hvap was a curse. panthers were pretty ineffective because of those overpowered 76mm guns in 2.3. now they are usefull and you need to flank them, thats how it should be.
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #218 on: 20-07-2011, 15:07:08 »
If the german player on old maps holds a grenade until the auto animation kicks in, why does he bow like a matador?  It looks very BF: Heroes.   :P

HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 20-07-2011, 16:07:57 »
well, the sherman 76 shouldnt be on par with the panther, like it used to be before the patch. hvap was a curse. panthers were pretty ineffective because of those overpowered 76mm guns in 2.3. now they are usefull and you need to flank them, thats how it should be.
Since we have HVAP only on TD's now, in my opinion it should be able to kill panther from front from almost any angle.
Tank Destroyer should be able to do its job.
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 20-07-2011, 18:07:48 »

Hurtgen Forest is nice but those MG positions are totally pointless as they got mortared almost immediately. Also people on the German team are totally clueless of how to defend the last flag.

Bad mortar, shelling key enemy positions of which the Germans have a lot on Hurtgen :P The MG's are in good spots to mow the US down. Ofcourse the US will and should shell or spot those MG's. The US is hard to play on Hurtgen and is under fire pretty much from the get go. People also focussed on this map since the release since it's so different and awesome, leading to good US teamwork. So, yeah, you bet I will spot them wooden barriers just under that MG of yours :D

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 20-07-2011, 19:07:04 »

the difference between the sherman 76 and the sherman 75 seemed to be only that the sherman 75 need two shots to the side of a panther while a sherman 76 only needs one. I am okay with the sherman 76, but the sherman 75 need two hits to the side of the panther in close range? seriously?

oh, also sherman 76s could kill kingtigers in two shot in the side while the sherman 75 is totally hopeless.

Offline atikabubu

• ADSL, Y U NO HERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 20-07-2011, 20:07:07 »
From all the changelog digging i've conducted, a conclusion arises: DEM RUSSIANS ARE COMMING!!!
[also, i found the dev forum, but all is password protected :F (nothing for fans since 0.5b? :3)]
Playing every version since 0.5b.
(0.6, y u no had SP?!)

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 21-07-2011, 00:07:15 »
Well, not going to write too much, but hats off, really.
It's been a long time since I last had so much fun with FH2 like I had those days after the the 2.4 release.
I really really like the product that has come out of the recent gameplay changes, plus the new maps are very well made.

Awesome work dudes, awesome.

Offline 16floz470ml

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 21-07-2011, 03:07:56 »
I have had a really great time playing the new update.  Everything is awesome.  After all these years I still cannot believe FH is free.  Thanks.  Played all weekend.  The wife tried to complain but I told her to fuck off and turned it up.  Like others have posted the thing that does not seem right to me is the sherman jumbo.  The frontal armor seems weak.  Should jagdpanzer be able to do a one shot kill to the front?