Author Topic: Modeling  (Read 1942 times)

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
Modeling
« on: 09-08-2009, 13:08:16 »
Hey, i have been interested in modeling a long time since FH1 came. And i dont know shit about it, but i want to learn. so what program should i get? any good sites for tutorials and so on? any help would be great. i do believe i got 3dsmax somewhere, but it looks a bit to heavy to start with.

Offline Jürgen

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
Re: Modeling
« Reply #1 on: 09-08-2009, 13:08:19 »
Start with Milkshape 3D
You got a 30 days trial and with this you will learn the basics of faces and vertex

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-08-2009, 15:08:22 »
Thanks. ;D

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-08-2009, 18:08:53 »
now i have playing around with milkshape and i have seen that  you can place a blueprint or a drawing or something and make the "model" and shapes onto that picture, to make it look like it. how is this possible? i am a Complete N00b in this.. :P

Offline Jürgen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-08-2009, 21:08:46 »
I will post a video...new people should learn to model and in the future collaborate...
But,I have to say I am not a modelling expert...
I modell mostly for MoW and FoW games...not for BF2 engine,but I will,and so,you will get the video guide.
Now,place a image at the background,something simple.
Then,place vertex and then,join them with the Face tool.
With that and the Extrude tool,you can do everything...
What would you like to watch,how is it modelled?
Tell me something,and I might try to do it and record it...
« Last Edit: 09-08-2009, 21:08:01 by Jürgen »

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-08-2009, 22:08:42 »
there are millions of video tutorials all over the net.

Offline Jürgen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-08-2009, 22:08:12 »
I just want to do something for someone...

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-08-2009, 22:08:28 »
yes, we know the internet. he's helpfull :)

well, thanks, i managed to do so with a blueprint of something, is it possible to move the picture or is it static? might be very very helpfull if a video can sort this out, how to make a small vehicle or something :)
« Last Edit: 09-08-2009, 22:08:17 by sn00x »

Offline Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10-08-2009, 09:08:20 »

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10-08-2009, 21:08:44 »
Toddel's and Seth's links are good... and you'll notice lots are for 3dsmax....

You should probably note that Milkshake 3D is not exactly an ideal or common program for game design/modding. 3Dsmax is an extremely standard program across the globe, Maya is also quite common. Another one is XSI, which is quite common in the Crysis modding community, but its still not as good as 3dsmax or Maya.

I've tried Maya, Modo 401, XSI, Blender and etc. but nothing beats good old 3dsmax. It has an easy to use interface, has a huge amount of plugins, including the bf2 tools and the list goes on. Its what I prefer over any other software.

I'd recommend you at least get Gmax (its free now), the little brother of 3dsmax. It lacks tools and such that you'd find in like 3dsmax v.8, but it still has enough to work well with and since its interface is almost identical to 3dsmax, once you can get 3dsmax it won't be much of a drastic transition for you.

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10-08-2009, 21:08:11 »
yes, thanks allot, i have 3dsmax on one of my hdd's upstairs just have to get a grip and search for it :) thanks allot i did some try outs with milkshape so i think ill move onto 3ds :) and we'll see what i can create  :P

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11-08-2009, 01:08:17 »
i found some blueprints of my lovely luchs and i watched some tutorials that shows you have to have different pictures for the different angles (top, side, front, back) and the blueprint have them all, but i only have paint on my comp, and have No experience with photoshop or anything as i only have been mapping for various games i couple of years.. is there anyone here that can help me with this little issue?

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11-08-2009, 08:08:39 »
you are the only one who can help you. there are more then enough tutorials outside. make them and ask when you dont understand something. but before you ask search the net for the answer. there is everything. i myself did ~200 tutorials and i still watch some. you never know everything. ::)

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12-08-2009, 01:08:03 »
now i have tried some stuff and so on in milkshape and this is what a managed to do so far, not sure if any of this is right but.. its allot of vertexes and faces.. that is what i know..