Author Topic: Inspiration Thread  (Read 9145 times)

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
Re: Inspiration Thread
« Reply #30 on: 05-04-2009, 22:04:09 »
I wonder ho do you make Caves like in PR "Korengal Valley" Map..
Excessivly large static models.  You cant have gaps in the heightmap.

Offline Niebler

• View Profile
    • 130th Panzer Lehr Division
« Reply #31 on: 08-04-2009, 09:04:40 »
An alternate reality raid on Benghazi if it actually worked was an idea I was toying with at the time. Having german skins with british weapons vs. italians defending, could be interesting :P. Already started on the lay out but never finished. I plan on doing a Sidi Barrani map, all the fh2 statics are perfect for it, and involves the italians in defense.

You could try Jalo Oasis, part of Operation Agreement (Same as Barce and Benghazi)
Sig editted (oversize)

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #32 on: 08-04-2009, 14:04:39 »
!!!!!!!!! JALO OASIS! Thats exactly what I was looking for! It's historical and an LRDG raid.
Have to find more info  :P

Thanks Nieb  :)
« Last Edit: 08-04-2009, 14:04:04 by Fuchs »
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline 508th PIR Hawkeye

• Pacific? :D
    • View Profile
    • www.508thpir.com
« Reply #33 on: 09-04-2009, 14:04:24 »
I remember that I played Operation Hyacinth where the British had to destroy several planes and two tanks... Was that a co-op version or something? And is it possible to get these mission objectives in more maps (in conquest mode)? So if the German equipment is destroyed they lose their spawn there...

Could somebody answer that? please?  ::)
"The American Paratrooper exists to give the  enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." -- Gen. George Patton

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09-04-2009, 14:04:47 »
I remember that I played Operation Hyacinth where the British had to destroy several planes and two tanks... Was that a co-op version or something? And is it possible to get these mission objectives in more maps (in conquest mode)? So if the German equipment is destroyed they lose their spawn there...

Could somebody answer that? please?  ::)

To your first question, this is the objectives mode.
The other question, no idea. Might work though. At least I'm sure it would have worked with Bf42.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09-04-2009, 15:04:56 »
It's possible and not hard at all to put in.. the problem is that making a map is more than just throwing some fun stuff in and it will work... objective modes are extremely hard to make good, and the objects are just a minor part of it, you need to build the terrain and synchronize all other statics so the map plays good over-all.. basically take in the "objective" stuff in-to the entire leveldesign.. with objective maps you want to assign importance to a few objects, yet you dont want the entire server to clog up around them (like all 64 players fighting in one place) but at the same time you don't want the objectives to become irrelevant, turning the map into a half-good conquest and a half-good objective map... so its a hard balance..

Blowing up stuff is fun for one guy in about ~3 seconds.. a map needs to provide fun for 64 players the entire round.
A mix of push-conquest and objective/conquest is nice, (spread the action out, but give it "story") and I'm looking into that at the moment.
« Last Edit: 09-04-2009, 15:04:05 by Natty »

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09-04-2009, 16:04:30 »
Going off-topic, eh?
Anyways. Jalo Oasis it is. Problem is the info on it.
Though I found this about LRDG raids: http://books.google.nl/books?id=v0T2gan40gQC&pg=PA70&lpg=PA70&dq=long+range+desert+group+operation+agreement&source=bl&ots=C5xO3vp1Dj&sig=OMN9mfG3PLyQvnwj1quUwy2oEDw&hl=nl&ei=AQreSYK8FIOz-QaF6eG6Cw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#PPA67,M1
I like!
Anyways I keep searching, if anyone has some good places to find stuff about lesser known battles, hand them over, please!
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

• View Profile
    • www.508thpir.com
« Reply #37 on: 09-04-2009, 22:04:05 »
It's possible and not hard at all to put in.. the problem is that making a map is more than just throwing some fun stuff in and it will work... objective modes are extremely hard to make good, and the objects are just a minor part of it, you need to build the terrain and synchronize all other statics so the map plays good over-all.. basically take in the "objective" stuff in-to the entire leveldesign.. with objective maps you want to assign importance to a few objects, yet you dont want the entire server to clog up around them (like all 64 players fighting in one place) but at the same time you don't want the objectives to become irrelevant, turning the map into a half-good conquest and a half-good objective map... so its a hard balance..

Blowing up stuff is fun for one guy in about ~3 seconds.. a map needs to provide fun for 64 players the entire round.
A mix of push-conquest and objective/conquest is nice, (spread the action out, but give it "story") and I'm looking into that at the moment.

I'm just a junior mapper so I'm just freelancing atm  :D But i got a great idea for an objective map for normandy (Which I'm gonna work on as soon as its released)!
"The American Paratrooper exists to give the  enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." -- Gen. George Patton

azreal

« Reply #38 on: 10-04-2009, 13:04:49 »
Why not do the heightmap and textures now? You'll be that much closer when it is released.

• View Profile
    • www.508thpir.com
« Reply #39 on: 10-04-2009, 17:04:13 »
The other question, no idea. Might work though. At least I'm sure it would have worked with Bf42.

Eh can't find it Schneider :-[ , is it a gamemode that the dev's took out at 2.15?

Why not do the heightmap and textures now? You'll be that much closer when it is released.

Well I don't know if i can find the Dev's normandy textures in BF 2 editor (in other words do they use custom ones?)
« Last Edit: 10-04-2009, 18:04:10 by 101st Air Hawkeye »

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10-04-2009, 18:04:16 »

Eh can't find it Schneider :-[ , is it a gamemode that the dev's took out at 2.15?

Mhh.. could be that the objectives mode is the 32 player version, I'm not quite sure now.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10-04-2009, 20:04:53 »

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10-04-2009, 20:04:37 »
Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaail not approved.
ON TOPIC: Started with a test version, very small close combat one. Just to create a level to get some experience. Anyways I have made this very nice terrain, how does water work? I want some water  :P

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10-04-2009, 20:04:53 »
And in order to place water goto your tweaker tab on the lower left hand side, and select the tab on the right. (I'm doing this all off memory, can't remember its name) There should be 4 drop down menus. One will be called water, expand that and there should be an option called "Seafloor level" or something. The default should be -10000, just change that to something more like 10.

Fuchs, you noob.  Try the Search function.  Hell, one of the threads I linked has the name "Objective" and is just a few threads down on the same page as this one.

EDIT:  I apologize.  The objective question didn't come from you.  But still use the search function.
« Last Edit: 10-04-2009, 20:04:53 by Ionizer »

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10-04-2009, 21:04:56 »
Ooh thanks. I was about to do that really, I was now just searching through the Tutorial I use.
And hell I would never start a first map with something difficult as an objective map  :P