Author Topic: The Great thread of Movies/Documentaries regarding WW1/WW2/Other conflicts  (Read 36615 times)

Offline Capten_C

• Well well well well well well well
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Stuka pilot in North Africa: Hans Deibl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-S2Seamq10

Uploaded today..
LEGENDARY FORGOTTEN HOPE 2 ROUNDS!!! >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xtJF9fL1YI

Offline Uberplatypus

• "The machine gun is a much overrated weapon."
    • View Profile
The 10 part series "The First World War" is absolutely fantastic! You won't find a better documentary about WW1 anywhere. I could literally sit down and watch the whole 10 hours of this thing, and I have seen all the parts at least twice. Feels more like a movie then a documentary, and it's all based on original footage with no reenactments.
Crashing full APC's since 1942.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
You won't find a better documentary about WW1 anywhere.
Well, what about The Great War, a 26 part documentary about WWI? It's my absolute favourite, and it contains only real footage too. Just more of it  :P

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
You won't find a better documentary about WW1 anywhere.
Well, what about The Great War, a 26 part documentary about WWI? It's my absolute favourite, and it contains only real footage too. Just more of it  :P

Thanks for this, I will check out both. Now it's just a matter of waiting for 'World War 1 in HD'!  ;-)

Yesterday I saw the award winning documentary 900 Days, by dutch director Jessica Gorter. It's about the siege of Leningrad in WWII, and how the Sovjet high command abused the position of the besieged city and its starving inhabitants for propaganda purposes and to gain stature for it's armed forces. Heartbreaking stories from survivors and location-specific original footage. Recommended for anyone with even a mild interest in the era and area. ;)

http://www.900days.nl
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Thank you too Mud Buddha, I'll check out 900 Days for sure!

Btw, because there are many documentaries called The Great War, here is a picture of the one I meant:

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sE2YWDFhJE&feature=relmfu

09:13

He speaks of the "blinding bomb" - I suppose that's the glass bomb we've discussed in the suggestions thread, but then he mentions a "CD-like" bomb which was put through the vision slit and ka-BOOM.

What device was that? Or is he talking nonsense?
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Not really a "war" documentary per se, but an interesting view of American and global oil policies and some wars that they sparked:

"Running on empty: A hundred years of oil politics"
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
What would be the best documentary to watch when it comes to Great Britain in WWII, especially North Africa? I assume that World at War should cover it quite well, but is there anything better than that?

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
I havent' seen them yet, so can't comapre to World at War, but I have these two in my collection:

World War II: Britain at War (7 episodes)
Churchills Desert War - The Road To El Alamein (1 episode)

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
What would be the best documentary to watch when it comes to Great Britain in WWII, especially North Africa? I assume that World at War should cover it quite well, but is there anything better than that?

I recently watched Tankies: Tank Heroes Of World War 2 on the BBC. It tells the story of one unit of the Royal Tank Regiment, the 'Filthy Fifth', from Dunkirk in 1940 via N. Africa to eventually Germany. Pretty solid but probably not the best. ;) But it's nice to see a doc that focuses on the Brits for once. The format is your basic talking heads/stock footage mix, no CGI if I remember correctly. Don't know how rare the footage is, but I watch a lot of these TV docs and I recall seeing a nice amount of new stuff in this show.

There's a link here to the official BBC site, but it states it can't be wtached online. :(
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pvbds

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Ah, yeah. Got that one too, just forgot about it ;)

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
Thank you for your replies, quality documentaries, well any kind documentaries about the role of the Empire in WWII. are numbered few  :P . These sound promising! I found Churchills Desert War - The Road To El Alamein on Youtube, so I will still watch it this week for shure. Also, I'll try to get my hands on a copy of World War II: Britain at War, for it looks quite detailed.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
Watching BBC's WW2 collection again... Just finished the first pack, The Nazis: A Warning from History and "The road to war". Upcoming "Dunkirk" , "The battle of atlantic" and "The war of the century: when Hitler fought Staliing"

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
'The War Of The Century - When Hitler Fought Stalin' is still one of my favorite docs. I like how it shows the whole of Europe getting drawn into total war just because 2 insecure paranoid psychopathic neighbours can't get along.

Recently found the Military Channel's series 'Great Planes' on Piratebay. I'd seen only one episode on TV and I liked the fact that they spend a full 45 minutes on one plane, its history and its legacy. Of course they should've named the show 'America's Great Planes' since it only covers US planes, but to be honest, especially after WWII the US simply lead the way in plane design.

Apart from that it's a nice and informative watch. They make sure that the plane-of-the-week gets put into its historical timeframe/context, so in the P-40 Warhawk ep. you get a lot of stuff about the Flying Tigers for example. Also other rival planes get covered.

The format can be a bit obtrusive though. While there is a ton of unseen stock footage the editing of the show can be quite distracting. Also the show's host has to be one of the most ill-suited people to host a TV show. It's a former fighterpilot who has clearly been hired for his looks. No real interview skills (tendency to repeat stuff what the other guy just said, stuff like that) but to be honest, he is just a proper nerd who doesn't really handle people that well. And it doesn't help that the guys he interviews are also (mostly retired) fellow plane nerds (mechanics, pilots, etc.). So it's forgivable. ;-)

So if you can stand the occasional awkward interview and some in your face editing, this is quite an informative show.

List of episodes: Skyraider//Warhawk//Mustang//Mitchell//Eagle//Falcon//Hornet//Catalina//Blackbird//Thunderjet//Starfighter//Super Sabre//Huey//Phantom//Stratofortress//Corsair II//Invader

Altough the one I saw on TV was about the B17 so there are maybe already newer episodes out. There should also be one about the P39 Airacobra.

Offline Abuzer

• View Profile
    • Dutchreview
So Nancy Wake died a few days ago, interesting story (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21735824)

Has anyone seen the movie from 2001:Charlotte Gray, about her?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245046/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Nobel prize winner/available at dutchreview.com