Author Topic: The Great thread of Movies/Documentaries regarding WW1/WW2/Other conflicts  (Read 36642 times)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Found an old thread way back in these forums that actually started this thread. And that thread was about this movie...

El Alamein: Line of Fire
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329042/
YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzyPMTAfQ1A

War seen through the eyes of Serra, a university student from Palermo who volunteers in 1942 to fight in Africa. He is assigned to the Pavia Division on the southern line in Egypt. Rommel and the Axis forces are bogged down; it's October, the British prepare an offensive. At first, boredom, heat, hunger, and thirst bedevil the Italians; then the Brits attack, and there's no luck or heroism in death. Finally, it's retreat in confusion. Serra, his sergeant Rizzo, and his lieutenant Fiori take a last walk toward home. It's said that each soldier gets three miracles; when Serra's are used up, what then?

In the YouTube link above you can find the whole movie in 11 parts, really worth the watch!

Have fun!
Yes! Highly recommended, it is the "Stalingrad" of North Africa and it haz Italianz!

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
And when we are talking about Stalingrad why not mention the great movie with the same name, Stalingrad from 1993.

IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108211/
Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalingrad_%28film%29
YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6thQKSNBSo

It's really something special, really good portrayal of the battle and with a such bitter and dark tone that almost makes it too realistic. Really something speciall. Also one of the 382 movies that Thomas Kretschmann has played a German soldier in the Wehrmacht

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
And when we are talking about Stalingrad why not mention the great movie with the same name, Stalingrad from 1993.

Ehm, I think he just did.  ;)
« Last Edit: 16-01-2012, 11:01:05 by Mud Buddha »
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
But those are set in 1936-1938 :/
[/quote]

rly?.. the 3rd one with Connery as well? I thought with the panzers and stuff in north africa that it was surely during the war.. + when they run in to Adolf at one point..

very well

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
But those are set in 1936-1938 :/

rly?.. the 3rd one with Connery as well? I thought with the panzers and stuff in north africa that it was surely during the war.. + when they run in to Adolf at one point..

very well

Yes, it takes place during Hitler's rise to power. The 'panzer' (of which there only was one in the film) is one of those hulking British WWI things (or, with the turret maybe just post WWI, don't know). The fighterplane they use for the dogfight is clearly some sort of ME108 wannabe and since they use an airship in the movie we can maybe even assume it's in '37 before the Hindenburg accident.  :)

And yes, I must really watch them again soon... ;)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile

Ehm, I think he just did.  ;)
Hehe, yes Rwawhide, I was intending that :) But it is very good that you put a trailer to it! Stalingrad is my number one warmovie of all times! (Taegukgi is nr 2 and Full Metal Jacket is nr 3).

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
Watched some scenes from Stalingrad just earlier today. I completley forgot how great the music is fitting into the movie. So dark and scary.

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
Stalingrad is one of my favourite movies. However the T34/85s drive me insane. It´s to early for them to appear. But definately better than using Leopard 1s and other stuff to fake other tanks of the era.
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
While I agree it is sometimes irritating to see wrong equipment sometimes but thats just an unfortunate side effect of not having any of the proper vehicles that you could use instead. Those T-34's in Stalingrad for example were post-war T-34's which finns had bought from russia and I think we only have one 76mm version that is still in working condition. It is sad that the equipment of the time has been either destroyed totally or they have had their engines removed.

Cant do much about it when theres simply no such vehicles in working condition anymore. :(

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
Since we have mentioned this war very much these days in the POTD thread we might even mention two movies regarding it.

First of...

Zulu

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zulu_%28film%29
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOV63yLPYEA

The trailer does not live up to the movie. Stanley Baker and and a young Michael Caine make the perfect match for two British officers in the Battle for Rorke's Drift.

If you haven't seen this movie. Do it!

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
For those who are interested in the history of the Vietnam War, here´s the first part of a 6-part-documentary called "Vietnam in HD". Haven´t watched it yet, but I´ll change that in the coming days. It´s not like I really wanted to learn for exams, anyways.  ;D
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
For those who are interested in the history of the Vietnam War, here´s the first part of a 6-part-documentary called "Vietnam in HD". Haven´t watched it yet, but I´ll change that in the coming days. It´s not like I really wanted to learn for exams, anyways.  ;D
720p HD and great show, really, really worth the time.

Thanks for sharing, Homer!

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
No problem, I stumbled upon this docu by accident.
Finished part three of it and so far it´s quite good. The images are stunning and the stories told are quite personal and touching.
The only thing I´m not quite happy with, so far is that the show´s a bit US centric. The civilian and NVA/Vietcong perspectives aren´t shown as detailed as the US perspective, but otherwise the docu is good. Especially because of the footage.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
Anyone know good WWII documentaries in color? I just saw Apocolypse: Rise of Hitler and the 100% color footage was quite amazing to watch.

I recall a commercial on NGC or Discovery about a series but can't remember its name.

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
Anyone know good WWII documentaries in color? I just saw Apocolypse: Rise of Hitler and the 100% color footage was quite amazing to watch.

I recall a commercial on NGC or Discovery about a series but can't remember its name.

I think there actually is the DVD/TV series 'World War II In Color', from either Nat. Geo, or History Channel.
Now I like the color(ed in) images, but only if they're from a time when color print was possible. In the Rise of Hitler it feels a bit weird if you see color images from the WWI trenches. :S