Author Topic: If I were to upgrade one thing...  (Read 716 times)

Offline Mekong_Lizard

• View Profile
If I were to upgrade one thing...
« on: 17-05-2010, 06:05:27 »
As the title says, if I could upgrade one thing on my computer... would it be worth it? I only have about a month and a half before I move on over to Europe and don't want to spend loads of money upgrading a computer. That being said, I really would like to play some FH2. After 4 years in college and not playing any games (besides some xbox), I want to play this!

I followed it ever since BF2 came out and, well, now is the only time I'll have to play.

Here are my current computer specs (yes, it is really old, and yes, I'm a broke college grad)

AMD Athlon 64 bit (running 32 bit Windows XP Pro) 3200+
2.02 GHz, 2.5 GB RAM
Geforce 6600, 256 MB
Motherboard: Asus K8VSEDX

http://www.hyperdatadirect.com/product/M_B/MB-K8VSEDX.htm

Would upgrading the graphics card to 512+ MB help that much? Or is the system to dated that I shouldn't even spend the $50-80 on a new card?

Thanks!

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: If I were to upgrade one thing...
« Reply #1 on: 17-05-2010, 07:05:58 »
I know that as some of us read this, we start to twitch at the computer specs, others possibly foaming at the mouth

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Mekong_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17-05-2010, 17:05:17 »
It is that bad. I'm still surprised it still runs.

Who knows, maybe I can dig around for a new computer. Really isn't that hard to build one, but when flights and travel costs are taking up most of my budget a comp just can't be at the top of my priority list :(

Which is too bad because FH (both of them) deserve to be stand-alone games IMO.

Offline General Tso

• Head Chump
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17-05-2010, 18:05:28 »
Ha ha, I'm running a similar rig with a 7800GS and a gig less of RAM. 

I feel for you.  My suggestion is to hold off until you can move into a new motherboard, CPU, and graphics card.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17-05-2010, 19:05:12 »
Oh my, trying to upgrade on that you will most likely have to pay an extra fee just for the storage costs of your local dealer. ^^
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17-05-2010, 22:05:17 »
I have the same problem, yet I am to poor as of now to afford a new pc

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19-05-2010, 00:05:30 »
I know that as some of us read this, we start to twitch at the computer specs, others possibly foaming at the mouth

Shut up, besides the Mobo (which I don't know what mine is), that's the same specs as my computer.   In fact, I think I only have 2 gigs of RAM...  Also, the 6600 is a 128 mb vidcard, at least mine is...

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19-05-2010, 00:05:52 »

Shut up, besides the Mobo (which I don't know what mine is), that's the same specs as my computer.   In fact, I think I only have 2 gigs of RAM...  Also, the 6600 is a 128 mb vidcard, at least mine is...
Atleast you have 2gigs of ram, I only have one.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19-05-2010, 08:05:40 »
Seeing that you haven't had any real suggestions here till now:

Try getting a new Gfx card. Since your bord seems to have an agp slot for those, look for a card along these lines:
ATI Radeon HD4650 (AGP) - 85€
ATI Radeon HD4350 (AGp) - 70€

I don't know about Nvidias AGP line, but the hd4650 should bring you a lot of joy for BF2/FH2.

Edit:
Other than that your system is quite dated and any meaningful update will require a full update of all components e.g.: A new Gfx on PCIe basis needs a new Motherboard, a new MB needs new RAM in the worst case and the CPU isn't necessarily supported either, so that brings you to a new CPU as well.
So in the end it is up to you. You can cash out on a dated AGP card for around 80€/$ or go for a 200$ budget and bring your PC to a level of those from 2008/2009, which is still great for FH2/BF2.
« Last Edit: 19-05-2010, 08:05:51 by N24Reporter »
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19-05-2010, 15:05:47 »
At first i would suggest updating your drivers for everything.If this doesnt work then think of following what the other guys said.

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19-05-2010, 16:05:05 »
So in the end it is up to you. You can cash out on a dated AGP card for around 80€/$ or go for a 200$ budget and bring your PC to a level of those from 2008/2009, which is still great for FH2/BF2.

I would go for this. There is no reason to spend another 80$ on an already to outdated PC, which will only give you mediocre benefits due to the fact that your CPU will probably bottleneck the card.

Better save your money and get a cheap new computer : it might already be slightly outdated, but overall it will be cheaper and better then keep patching the old girl up.

Other then that, I would suggest you try some bargain bin or second hand components, provided that they're real cheap ofcourse.