Author Topic: M1 garand recoil  (Read 14401 times)

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
Re: M1 garand recoil
« Reply #150 on: 10-09-2009, 11:09:42 »
I think the best option would be for the gun to kick as much as it does now, but for it to return to exactly the same position it was in before rather than just randomly stay a few inches above where it was when you fired it. That way there's no tiring and time-consuming drag of the mouse back to the previous firing position, and we get the best of both worlds - Garand doesn't become a gamebreaking rail gun but can maintain rapid aimed fire over time.
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront

Offline Jürgen

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 10-09-2009, 11:09:25 »
I think the best option would be for the gun to kick as much as it does now, but for it to return to exactly the same position it was in before rather than just randomly stay a few inches above where it was when you fired it. That way there's no tiring and time-consuming drag of the mouse back to the previous firing position, and we get the best of both worlds - Garand doesn't become a gamebreaking rail gun but can maintain rapid aimed fire over time.
This is the best solution

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 10-09-2009, 12:09:49 »
This is the best solution
I guess if you don't want to create "noob cannon" so to speak

Online VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 10-09-2009, 19:09:32 »

Isn't that what I said :P

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 10-09-2009, 19:09:02 »
I can't hit shit with the Thompson.

I've managed to get a hang of the MP40, and even the M3 which seems to like firing all over the damned place. I've really got the Sten's control but the Thompson...

Christ. Really.

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 11-09-2009, 05:09:57 »
Theres no need to make the sight smaller at all. There is one simple fact that is killing me, and as a Garand shooter in real life, I can tell you that the recoil is far too vast and needs to be lowered slightly. Period. I'm not asking for M1 Carbine recoil, but I am asking that the M1 Garands recoil be lowered, it doesn't reflect how the weapon feels in real life, and as a result of the added recoil, weapons like the K98 are getting an advantage over it because of this supposed "balancing".

I don't care about how hard the recoil looks. I care about the shot dispersion. Is the shot dispersion in FH2 unrealistic, compared to how fast you shoot it? Now I haven't fired an M1 Garand IRL, but it should serve its purpose with regards to shot dispersion.
Also, it has a slight learning curve to it. Once you get a feeling for how much to pull down on the mouse, you'll be able to rapidfire quite easily. I for one can easily get off two aimed shots in slightly over a second. The K98 can maybe get an aimed shot off each two seconds. And the K98 has absolutely no advantages over the Garand, especially in close quarters.
We tried many different M1 Garand fire animations during betatesting. The reason we chose this one, is, you can more easily regain focus on your target.

Offline Eatlead

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 11-09-2009, 06:09:53 »
Theres no need to make the sight smaller at all. There is one simple fact that is killing me, and as a Garand shooter in real life, I can tell you that the recoil is far too vast and needs to be lowered slightly. Period. I'm not asking for M1 Carbine recoil, but I am asking that the M1 Garands recoil be lowered, it doesn't reflect how the weapon feels in real life, and as a result of the added recoil, weapons like the K98 are getting an advantage over it because of this supposed "balancing".

I don't care about how hard the recoil looks. I care about the shot dispersion. Is the shot dispersion in FH2 unrealistic, compared to how fast you shoot it? Now I haven't fired an M1 Garand IRL, but it should serve its purpose with regards to shot dispersion.
Also, it has a slight learning curve to it. Once you get a feeling for how much to pull down on the mouse, you'll be able to rapidfire quite easily. I for one can easily get off two aimed shots in slightly over a second. The K98 can maybe get an aimed shot off each two seconds. And the K98 has absolutely no advantages over the Garand, especially in close quarters.
We tried many different M1 Garand fire animations during betatesting. The reason we chose this one, is, you can more easily regain focus on your target.

Yes the shot dispertion is unrealistic. I cant remember ever rapid firing the garand and finding myself leaning back with the sights way over the target. I can put a three round burst at about 25 yards with the 1st shot right on target second shot about 1/2 an inch above, and the third about and inch above that. An 8 round quick sustained fire would be less accurate but at about 15 yards i can get all 8 on target. I can get all 8 while rested on a block at about 25 yards.

Online VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 11-09-2009, 06:09:13 »
Dude, with a rifle, 25 yards is like putting it right up against the muzzle.  Try it at 500 yards, then tell me about it.  Remember, in real life, these guys were trained to hit a man sized target at 1000 yards on the first shot....  Hell, even with our shitty M16s, you're still trained to hit at 600 yards.

Offline Eatlead

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 11-09-2009, 06:09:46 »
uhhhh...... Im talking about dumping the clip as fast as i can at those ranges.  I can take my m1 garand out to 250 yards (as far as my local range goes) and get about three inch groups, and shitty m16s? My dad in the marine corps could shoot his m16a2 no optics at 1000 yards. He qualified expert every time he qualified. Try doing that with an ak47. I guess we shouldnt get into this kind of another topic  ;D
« Last Edit: 11-09-2009, 06:09:00 by Eatlead »

Online VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 11-09-2009, 06:09:55 »
Shitty as in the M16's round is a piss ass weak cartridge compared to a WW2 rifle's round.  And yes, dumping a clip, you'll hit at 25 yards, but not at the normal combat ranges we have in FH2, which is something I was trying to explain.

Offline Eatlead

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 11-09-2009, 06:09:03 »
In normandy maps I feel like i rarely engage infantry over a distance of 75 yards. Even shooting across the streets in some maps (about 25 yards) you cant hit anything trying to shoot quickly. Which is easily done in real life.

Online VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 11-09-2009, 06:09:11 »
I donno then, cuz I honestly don't have a prob....was playing PDH today, and was popping germans easily at short range with quick follow up shots.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 11-09-2009, 06:09:56 »
Ah yes extrapolating from personal experience. ^^
Some people just get religious about their own toys. ^^

Lighten up, the devs will find a solution.
« Last Edit: 11-09-2009, 10:09:02 by N24Reporter »
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #163 on: 11-09-2009, 09:09:00 »
Seriously, try PDH or any map with the Garand.

It's powerful as hell, one shot here, one shot there. Two kills. Simple!

Give it some time, lads.

What fun is it if everybody can use it as a railgun from start?

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 11-09-2009, 23:09:46 »
The M1 Garand's recoil has quite some learning curve. Already for our next internal version is has been changed. However, this is no guarantee it'll be changed in the next public version. I'll have to study the feedback and draw conclusions from there on. Also, I want some more feedback from public play after people have gotten a better feel for it.