Author Topic: WinSPWW2 Soviet Union campaign 1941-45 (summary in 1st post)  (Read 14789 times)

Offline Born2Kill 007

• Anytime, baby
  • Professional accountancy hater
    • View Profile
Re: WinSPWW2 Long campaign as Soviet Union
« Reply #60 on: 22-12-2013, 22:12:34 »
Did my katyusha's fight in the past battles? If yes, how did they do? If no, are they coming back?  :)
Ще ми се изпържи картофа
#FreeDamaso

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 22-12-2013, 23:12:59 »
If you get the chance to buy some, I'd love to take a DShK.

Roger that.

My conscripts are always taking the heavy stuff for the rest of the army!  ;)

I hope to read about them doing heroic weird stuff!

Meat shields will never be obsolete!

Did my katyusha's fight in the past battles? If yes, how did they do? If no, are they coming back?  :)

Right now you have eight M-13 132mm rockets in two batteries of four each. It's the only rocket artillery available right now in 1939. Once Katyushas become available I'll buy some of those.
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #62 on: 23-12-2013, 00:12:53 »
Reserves is where it's at! Good to hear the lads put up a fight in Finland.

Oh and do we actually paradrop into combat or did the budget cuts hit us again? Not that I am complaining, tovarish commandir.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 23-12-2013, 00:12:12 »
Reserves is where it's at! Good to hear the lads put up a fight in Finland.

Oh and do we actually paradrop into combat or did the budget cuts hit us again? Not that I am complaining, tovarish commandir.

Budget cuts are fucking us around big time. Paratroopers can fight like regular infantry in every battle but it seems only every three or four battles there are planes available to drop them from.

Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 23-12-2013, 00:12:05 »
Four months since the opening of hostilities back in Poland, the Soviet forces finally did something to write home about. Although the fifth consecutive stalemate, a Soviet force fighting at a mere third of it's full strength patiently moved forward tree-by-tree and took over 700 Finnish lives while losing less than 200 of their own men.

The Soviet command knew that circling around the enemy forces and cutting their support lines would be crucial. Unlike the Poles who were looking for an excuse to retreat, the tough Finns would fight to the bitter fucking end and the only way Russia's battered forces could secure any objectives if they took out enemy artillery before it had a chance to vaporize Soviet infantry.

Musti's BT company advanced at high speed along the northern sector and took out several enemy flak positions without losing a single tank. Musti's men stayed well out of range of the flak guns while the two BT-7A artillery tanks lobbed high explosive shells at the positions, and the only damage the 20mm guns could inflict on any of Musti's tanks was to disable the main gun on one of them.

Homer Jay's recce squadron supported the BT company and survived the battle largely unscathed, although they did lose two horses and six men to a fougasse bomb:

Fuchs' paratrooper company and LHeureux's conscripts were the only infantry companies the Soviets had available for the battle, as Hjaldrgud's skiiers had been erased by Finnish artillery in the previous battle and will take a few more engagements to repair. Fuchs' paratroopers fought bravely and defeated several Finnish rifle platoons and lost only 11 men in the entire battle, 6 of which were lost to fougasse:

It was the first time any Fuchs' men had been warm since the war started.

LHeureux's conscripts (what was left of them from the last battle) rode to the front lines aboard three ZiS trucks, and the two still-working AT guns belonging to von Mudra's 45mm battery rode with them. The conscripts were surprisingly resilient in battle and held off repeated infantry attacks while Muddy's guns lobbed monster 45mm high explosive shells at the enemy. LHeureux himself personally killed a Finnish marksman, a bullet fired from his Nagant carbine going right through where the Finnish sniper's soul would have been if Finnish people had souls.

The battle also saw, finally, the first tank kill for Kaptain Tankbuster. After admittedly missing his first six shots, the seventh was on the money as his 76.2mm 1931 anti-aircraft gun on his SU-6 nailed a Finnish Vickers 6s tank 1350 meters. A monster kill!

The battle was an 83-turn marathon that see-sawed back and forth and ended once more in a draw. Kalkalash's Cossacks, Battleaxe's 37mm AA guns and Afterdune's men were committed to defense of the Soviet headquarters and artillery, and Born2Kill's rocket battery and both 107mm howitzers under Graf Radetzky's command rained hell down on Finnish positions.

The final score ended well enough for the Soviets that they were able to completely repair their BT company, their T-26 company, their T-35 platoon, and the paratrooper company.

After this 83-turn marathon battle, the following fight (a Delay against Finland once more, like the fourth battle of the campaign) is just 13 turns, taking place over about a quarter of the ground as previously. Finland will not have long to secure the Russian-held objectives, but they will be able to concentrate a fuck of a lot of fighting power on a line held only by some scarred and limping Soviets...
« Last Edit: 23-12-2013, 00:12:00 by Christie.Front.Drive »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 23-12-2013, 00:12:33 »
To me it looks like you play on too large a map for the force you are using.

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 23-12-2013, 01:12:19 »
To me it looks like you play on too large a map for the force you are using.

I usually play on max size, it's just a preference. When you play on a small map there's a lot of bullshit like 30 tanks packed into one little field, I like having the extra difficulty of trying not to leave holes in the line and both forces able to sneak into the enemy's rear if they're careful, having to consider the ranges on artillery and that kind of shit.

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 23-12-2013, 02:12:00 »
I should add as well, remember you don't have to volunteer for fighting necessarily. You can drive around in a ZiS/GAZ truck, drive a sled or horse wagon, operate one of those based Stalinezs tractors:

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #68 on: 23-12-2013, 03:12:07 »
Paratroopers are OP! Are they getting some kind of experienced fighter status by now?
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 23-12-2013, 03:12:37 »
 I have not been mentioned in dispatches since Poland...

Am i dead, on leave, being held in reserve or what?

:-\

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 23-12-2013, 03:12:22 »
Paratroopers are OP! Are they getting some kind of experienced fighter status by now?

I've tried not to send them into any really heavy situations because if they all get wiped out like the ski section we're fucked. It's best to just let them get in some minor skirmishes and then they're at full strength the next time they can paradrop.

I have not been mentioned in dispatches since Poland...

Am i dead, on leave, being held in reserve or what?

:-\

Your tank got fucked up in the last battle in Poland and I haven't been able to repair it until the one I'm fighting right now. You did manage to get out of your T-35 in time before you got barbequed though :D.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 23-12-2013, 04:12:25 »
What happened?  Why'd I drop to 2 guns suddenly >:

Though good to hear my guys were blasting those finns with a little what for!

I really am debating getting this game x3  Is there a tutorial or some such, or are you just thrown right in?
« Last Edit: 23-12-2013, 04:12:24 by VonMudra »

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 23-12-2013, 05:12:14 »
Well, I cannot complain. This is better than most of my FH2 matches. A kill at 1350 Metres eh, I am a hardcore tankbuster. Good to see me pulling my weight.

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 23-12-2013, 05:12:47 »
What happened?  Why'd I drop to 2 guns suddenly >:

Though good to hear my guys were blasting those finns with a little what for!

I really am debating getting this game x3  Is there a tutorial or some such, or are you just thrown right in?

When you are doing a campaign (i.e. more than just one battle), anything you have that gets killed or destroyed won't be in the next battle unless you repair it. Even if it's just damaged like a tank losing a track or the main gun gets fucked up or some of the crew are killed but the vehicle survives, all that damage needs to be repaired before the next battle. So if a tank is destroyed, it won't show up when you deploy in the next battle unless you repair it (although damaged/immobolised vehicles will still be there, they just can't use whatever weapon was damaged or can't drive if they lost a track or whatever).

The trouble is, you get repair points after each battle based on how well you did and unless you seriously kicked some fucking ass, you will never have enough repair points on the hardest difficulty (what I'm doing this on) to repair everything. The repair points are also your upgrade points to buy new shit as it becomes available. So you're always wondering "Should I spend 300 points repairing all my mortars or should I buy four KV-1s or should I repair the tanks I already have" etc. So it's a challenge.

I would definitely recommend trying it out, WinSPWW2 is fun as fuck. It's 1930-46. There's another game called WinSPMBT that's 1946-2020, same menus and all that shit, just different eras. You can do generic campaigns like I'm doing here, random battles, scenarios and shit like TS4Ever has made. It's pretty fucking hardcore, you can have fun just goofing around but when they say it's a realistic game they aren't fucking around. If you just point and click at the enemy like a monkey (or like me, usually) you get your ass handed to you.

There's mathematics and code and all that jazz. It's not just "shoot at the enemy". Is the enemy tall grass? Less likely to hit. Is he in swampy terrain? Perfect, he can't take cover. Is your guy shooting suppressed or buttoned? How fast is the enemy moving? How experienced is he? How experienced are you? All that shit comes in to play. Which would be no problem for you, you know a lot of shit about tactics and the point is that everything that applies in real life applies in the game.

There's a tutorial scenario in the game, and there's a manual that comes with it (it's in the directory once you install).

Link for the game and link for the patch. There's some mods and fun shit like that on the forums as well. The thing I like most about it is that you can do full screen or windowed, so it's not like FH2 or some FPS where you have to sit down and pay attention and be in the zone, you can just run it while you're fucking around doing other stuff and play like that. If you pick it up just be patient and read the manual first and check out their forums. There are a few guys around here who play it, TS4Ever knows a lot more about it than I do but you can just post questions in here or on their forums.

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 23-12-2013, 06:12:57 »
Awesome shot with the mosin! My favorite weapon  ;D

What's the status of my conscripts? Casualties and experience.
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy