Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 117267 times)

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
War Thunder
« on: 28-01-2013, 23:01:22 »
Hey guys,

Downloaded the free to play game WarThunder yesterday, that just started the open Beta and is based on aerial WW2 combat.

http://warthunder.com/

Enjoy the launch trailer! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5BWqTXoNjtQ

It's pretty comparable to the system of World of Tanks and competing with the upcoming World of Warplanes. I heard from some sources that it is less arcadey than World of Warplanes.

While the website looks comparably cheap, the game itself has more than decent graphics for a free2play game and has a good bunch of features. You can choose bewteen arcade mode, historical mode and realistic mode.

While arcade mode takes place with planes from all the antions mixed (like in WoT) historical mode makes the map you play depended on the nationality of the plane and also offers special missions but also comes with advanced difficulty in flying, which also means more realism and options for the player though.

Realistic mode is in fact quite tricky to master I guess and you have control over more features.
Generally flying the planes feels quite tricky to me, and it's ahrd to get used to. You can switch between different control settings however and change some detailed stuff. I still didn't figure out the perfect controls for me, but I hope this will get better.

In future ground and naval combat will be included as well. Also, the fyling is currently not only based on dogfights fighter vs fighter, you can also control torpedo bombers, dive bombers and regular bombers. You have tanks, AA, airfields, landing boats on the ground you can bomb and on some maps even carriers and warships to fight I think (didn't see it yet, but I think it's in historical mode and I jsut played arcade for learning purposes).

The amount of planes to unlock which happens the pretty much same way it happens in WoT is also quite okay although it's often only different versions of one plane (like 8 different Bf109), but will most likely get extended sooner or later.

You can also play Coop missions with other players vs AI or offline on your own as well for example.

I suck at the gameso far and it's hard to get used to it, but it is fun to me and I can just recommend to give it a try. The tutorials are great and give you a nice overview in how things work. These Russian developers put a lot of work into this it seems and it is a lot more awesome than I expected it to be.

This video by SideStrafe made me try it by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuZuaJdFVxA

Give it a try and share your opinion :)

cheers
« Last Edit: 28-01-2013, 23:01:44 by Surfbird »

Offline Wulfburk

• We are no longer the Sons of Horus!
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #1 on: 28-01-2013, 23:01:27 »
This game is really fun! Been playing for a month or so, grinding the british line, got to lvl 8 now. British planes are the best, Beaufighter is really OP, hurricane mk1, mk2 and spitfire mk1, mk2 are all great fighters as well.

But now im stuck with the Wellington, whats the point of the geodesic thing if i get 1 hit all the freaking time.

Oh, and World of Warplanes sucks compared to this (sucky graphics and low performance, bad controls,  and no brits!)

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28-01-2013, 23:01:54 »
I watched the Sidestrafes video earlier and only at the end I realised it wasn't about world of warplanes. I played wotw in alpha and what I saw in that video, looked pretty much what I expected wotw to become. Ohwell  ;D

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28-01-2013, 23:01:56 »
Basically Wings/Birds of Pray, free2play edition. even "full realism" mode isn't all that realistic IL2 fans have nothing to look for, damage model especially sucks (everything explodes, burns etc. regardless of what you are shooting with), but its really nice for some arcadey/semi-simulation combat flight fun. It also looks great, and the choice of music is nice.

And let's NOT talk about that wargaming thing.
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-01-2013, 00:01:57 »
Well, of course this does not offer deep highly realistic experience, but for a free 2 play game the amount of realism seems quite nice. I was expecting arcade only to be honest. Il-2 players will of course stay away from this, as long as they want to play pure realism flight games only. So this is of course not the playerbase this game aims for.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29-01-2013, 00:01:49 »
Does anyone know if I can close the launcher without restarting the download the next time I run it?

I have another GB to download, an it will take a few hours at least on my connection....

Anyway I think I'll try this out as WoWP was quite disappointing... Planes felt like bricks that couldn't climb, turn or roll... even worse than FH 2!
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-01-2013, 00:01:15 »
I was also looking for a option do download the files outside the launcher and install manually but I could not find anything, although I read some posts about a torrent, but that might have been back in the closed beta stage. I have internet of awesomeness here with usually up to 11mb/sec but was downloading with like 0,5-1mb/sec only in that launcher, so it took quite some time. So there's no alternative (anymore) I guess.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29-01-2013, 01:01:11 »
^ Actually there is a torrent button there, but I missed it in the first go... Now I'm stuck on downloading directly... ah well...

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29-01-2013, 17:01:51 »
I just hope they make the tank combat realistics, Red Orchestra style and not arcade WoT.
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29-01-2013, 21:01:10 »
^ I wouldn't bet on that, but they seem to be aiming at more realism than WoT definitely... And historical accuracy...

Offline ww2fighter20

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29-01-2013, 22:01:51 »
I have been playing this game from around start of this month and I like it especially historical mode even when matchmaker doesn't work very well yet (encountering jets around level 5 already in arcade and historical at startlevel  :o, don't known about realistic mode since I only played it once but I guess it is the same.)

In future ground and naval combat will be included as well. Also, the fyling is currently not only based on dogfights fighter vs fighter, you can also control torpedo bombers, dive bombers and regular bombers. You have tanks, AA, airfields, landing boats on the ground you can bomb and on some maps even carriers and warships to fight I think (didn't see it yet, but I think it's in historical mode and I jsut played arcade for learning purposes).

There are carriers and battleships in some maps that show up enough in arcade but I think you only encounter the maps for it at higher level (level 4 or 5 for one country but I am not sure).

damage model especially sucks (everything explodes, burns etc. regardless of what you are shooting with)

I got alot of kills where the enemy lost it's wing without any fire but yes the damage could be better but this may improve in future patches like shown in this video of 1.27 where you can controll heavily damaged plane and crash land http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3g4oT_j1kBA

Looking forward to how navy and tank combat plays in the future and how they want to make combined modes from what I have read (ground/navy/air in one battle) since it is very easy to kill ground targets now.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-01-2013, 22:01:15 »
God I suck at flying in this game... I wonder what's the deal with my joystick, can't even fly straight and level...

Offline Wulfburk

• We are no longer the Sons of Horus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30-01-2013, 16:01:25 »
New patch is out, now you can crash land (apparently)

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30-01-2013, 19:01:25 »
New patch is out, now you can crash land (apparently)

Well, as far as I know what they changed is that now you stay in the aircraft for 30 seconds after sustaining critical damage, instead of simply ''dying'' straight away. This means that if your wing breaks off you get to enjoy a nice freefall, but it also means you might still be able to land if you sustain 'only' critical hull damage or something.

Offline BaskaBommi

• Fought the Battle of the Nazisis
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09-02-2013, 08:02:33 »
An excellent game. Lot better that that poopy War of Warplanes. Controls need adjusting though. I just wish I could have BF2 controls on my planes.
Steam-name: Sinko-Zimo