Author Topic: Picture of the Day (Other eras)  (Read 916242 times)

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Picture of the Day (Other eras)
« Reply #8235 on: 06-08-2016, 19:08:09 »
It seems like a major asset during this conflict have been ATGM's. 

Online VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8236 on: 06-08-2016, 20:08:31 »
It seems like a major asset during this conflict have been ATGM's.

Yeah, I've noticed that too.  Both sides are using the hell out of FAGOTs and TOW's as anti-personnel weapons, basically using them as direct-fire artillery.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8237 on: 07-08-2016, 03:08:23 »

Siege of Aleppo has been lifted. Rebels are staging for attack on Hamadaniyah district, announced 'Battle for Aleppo' and offered amnesty for all government forces willing to surrender - government forces mobilizing their local reserves, Aleppo, Syria, August, 6th 2016.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: 07-08-2016, 05:08:03 »
Another thing that strikes me as odd is why, after being targeted by an ATGM, the Syrian Army militia or soldiers enter the area to pick up the dead and no one is actively securing the area. They all just mill around and walk semi-casual. 

That speaks a lot to how poor the quality of the forces must be.  If that was the US military in that situation, for example, I would expect them to set up at least some kind of overwatch or perimeter because obviously that area is under the direct line of sight of the enemy.  :-\

Online VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8239 on: 07-08-2016, 06:08:04 »
Another thing that strikes me as odd is why, after being targeted by an ATGM, the Syrian Army militia or soldiers enter the area to pick up the dead and no one is actively securing the area. They all just mill around and walk semi-casual. 

That speaks a lot to how poor the quality of the forces must be.  If that was the US military in that situation, for example, I would expect them to set up at least some kind of overwatch or perimeter because obviously that area is under the direct line of sight of the enemy.  :-\

Basically they're all militia at this point.  So many SAA infantry defected that, apart from a few elite infantry units, the vast majority of SAA infantry are now the "National Defence Forces" which are basically volunteer (at least, volunteer in spirit :P) militia-men:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Defence_Forces_(Syria)

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8240 on: 07-08-2016, 19:08:01 »
Things like this can happen, especially if, like you guys said, the SAA is made up mostly with militias. They left behind a good number of equipment, that comes in handy for the Jihadists as they have literally an unlimited manpower pool.

Also the Russian Air Force seems to be quite passive here, perhaps not wanting to hit nearby SAA units in this chaotic battle... However, the Jihadist offensive was pretty strong and determined, it would be hard to contain. Despite me hating these animals, they're formidable soldiers because they couldn't care less if they die, relentless.

Being an SAA soldier must be really tough, relentless enemy not willing to spare your life.

The apparent corridor the Jihadists have opened is quite small, some say 2km wide. That could be easily pounded by artillery and airpower, but the Russian assets are limited leaving only the Syrian Artillery and the Syrian Airforce, which at this stage, with limited technology, can only do this much...
« Last Edit: 07-08-2016, 19:08:01 by Torenico »

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: 07-08-2016, 19:08:30 »
What about the corridor in northern aleppo? Is it possible for SAA units too supply? Or is it too narrow or no good and no protected roads? From the satallite fotos I can hardly judge topography.

Online VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8242 on: 08-08-2016, 00:08:16 »
As I said earlier, the northern corridor has no roads into western Aleppo.  The only one that might work is basically a no man's land in-between their lines.

And the FSA isn't just Jihadists.  They are a mixture of modern, extremist, islamic, and other various groups (though the largest/most organized is the Islamist JF).  That's been one of the big issues plaguing the FSA for a long time- the groups pretty much fight each other as much as they fight the SAA.  The crisis in Aleppo seems to have finally given them reason to unite for a common purpose.  We shall see how long that unification lasts though.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8243 on: 08-08-2016, 01:08:34 »

Spoils inside the artillery college, Ramouseh, Aleppo, Syria, August 6th, 2016.

I'd like to see those BRDMs in combat. Haven't seen any in a while. Seems their armor is too weak to withstand 14.5 ammunition, thus they are not used.

The Russians cannot bomb the area of combat because they cannot differ between friend and enemy. Counterassault follows after assault, the frontlines are very variable, depending on which areas are actively occupied and defended in such moments. Right now the rebels have the upper hand because they can pour additional manpower into the freshly taken areas, pushing their assault forward.

Besides that, all those men fight militia style, they're not disciplined, when an enemy is spotted, all men of a unit raise their heads and dare a glimpse on the enemy, for them individually to decide what to do next. Their biggest problem is the massing of multiple fighters in a single spot suitable for one fighter only. And the chain of command is very week, limited to giving general tasks and directions only.

Actually, I see a difference between minor rebel groups and major rebel groups. Major rebel groups have better training and more discipline.

HD Footage: Kataib Thuwar al-Sham in urban combat, Ramouseh, Aleppo, August 6th, 2016

HD Footage: Al-Safwah Islamic Battalions in urban combat, same spot, Ramouseh, Aleppo, August 6th, 2016

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: 08-08-2016, 14:08:08 »
Note that "No graphic content" is part of our forum rules. While there might be SOME wiggle room on this, please do not post videos of people getting killed on here.

- Ts4EVER

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: 08-08-2016, 15:08:50 »

Kurdish BRDM-2, Manbij, August 8th, 2016. Manbij is about to fall any hour. ISIS is only holding a few blocks around Martyrs Square, City Hall and Grand Mosque.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #8246 on: 08-08-2016, 22:08:39 »

Australian soldiers, Vietnam war.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8247 on: 09-08-2016, 02:08:55 »

Syrian government forces launched an offensive on the Latakia frontline, gaining ground quickly due to absence of large rebel forces, Syria, August 8th, 2016.

Footage: Syrian government forces advancing into rebel-held areas of Kinsabba, Latakia, August 8th, 2016

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8248 on: 09-08-2016, 02:08:12 »
I'd like to know if the Syrians still have a fleet of operable SCUD missiles, I mean, there was a lot of noise about the Syrians firing SCUDs early on, and if you ask me, this whole Aleppo offensive is a pretty good reason to fire a SCUD or two, no?.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8249 on: 11-08-2016, 00:08:58 »

Ingenious..