Author Topic: Textures  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Barryman

• View Profile
Textures
« on: 20-10-2009, 13:10:19 »
Hello, I want to improve my skills in texturing and making normal maps, so I was wondering if any of the devs maybe could post up some vehicle texture psd files (build up in layers), like the psd file from the daimler dingo, which are very usefull in understanding how to build up a texture. I was also wondering how you make the normal map from for example the halftrack wheels, the normal map has shapes I cant really create with photoshop and the plugin by a black/white height map, so how is this done?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Darren01

• View Profile
Re: Textures
« Reply #1 on: 20-10-2009, 13:10:48 »
the normal map has shapes I cant really create with photoshop and the plugin by a black/white height map, so how is this done?

Thanks in advance!

A hi-res piece of geometry is used to create a normal map for a low-res piece of geometry.
It is often referred to as 'baking a normal map'.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20-10-2009, 16:10:21 »
Wasn't there a tutorial around? I think it was how jodonnel made the Daimler skin.

Offline Barryman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20-10-2009, 16:10:53 »
Yes your right and it was a excellent tutorial! But it would be very usefull to see some more psd files, not that necessary a tutorial but even a psd file tells very good how to build up a texture from scratch.

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20-10-2009, 17:10:13 »
sorry barry we never give any PSD files outside of the mod.

but check out this

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotlight-articles/43-tutorial-introduction-normal-mapping.html

a different way much faster would be to paint the dot on a texture you could use as Normal with PS nvidia tools.

create a 50% grey layer inside your PSD.
create a new layer and paint the dots in black on the Dice.

merge those two layers and apply the NM tools.

the result will be allmost the same. except you will not have so nice round looking edges.

what modeling tool do you use?

Offline Barryman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20-10-2009, 18:10:15 »
Ah ok, no problem:(
So you actually build the normal map from a high poly model version of the vehicle?
I know that black and grey represent height en depth but you cant create all shapes, for example the halftrack wheels, these are probably also done by a high poly version of the wheel. Oh and I dont use any modelling programs, im not a modeller, neither a developer for bf 2 to be honest, Iam a hobby developer for the cod serie. But I like the skins in forgotten hope very much, they are very detailed. Btw are these brushes you use to texture also somewhere to download or are they custom made by forgotten hope members and also not to give away?

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20-10-2009, 19:10:43 »
yes the halftracks are modeled and baked wheels. most of our wheels are made like this.

and yes our brushes stay inside.

but you can create yourself some in a super easy way.

http://www.cgtextures.com/

search for splatter they are red here but you can tweak them to black and white and then create your custom brushes out of it this one is one of how my typical brushes look like.

You need to adjust the brush settings of course. as i was a beginner i downloaded some great brushes from a "gunfx" brushset which i still use from time to time.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20-10-2009, 19:10:50 »
Topic hijack

Toddel I vaglue remember you posting somewhere about haivng changed your texture (file) method to something more system friendly? I looked around but I can't find any suc post anymore but I don't think I was dreaming.    If you know what I am tlaking about, could you please explain what it was that you're were talking about?

/ topic hijack

;)

PS: (to thread author and others) I'm texturing in Adope Illustrator, it's vactor based rather than raster based like photoshop. Which means textures are resolution independant and can be resized (enlarged) a hundred times without loosing detail. I find this to be a re-assuring as I can use a small dimension for starts and if it turns out to be too small (or too big) I can resize the texture(s) without quality loss.  :)
« Last Edit: 20-10-2009, 19:10:45 by Admiral Donutz »

Offline Barryman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21-10-2009, 15:10:32 »
Thank you very much Toddel and Admiral Donutz for the tips, they are very helpfull. Any handy tips, tutorials or files are always welcome!

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21-10-2009, 17:10:28 »
wanna show some of your work?

Offline Barryman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22-10-2009, 16:10:27 »
Which work would you like to see?

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22-10-2009, 17:10:59 »
your textures on models? How the hell should i know what you have done :P ;D

Offline Barryman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22-10-2009, 18:10:31 »
Well because I said in the post below that Iam not a modeller neither a battlefield developer :P, Im using custom textures to texture houses which I make in a tool called Radiant, in which you can develope call of duty maps. So I wondered what you wanted to see of it ;)

Ah ok, no problem:(
So you actually build the normal map from a high poly model version of the vehicle?
I know that black and grey represent height en depth but you cant create all shapes, for example the halftrack wheels, these are probably also done by a high poly version of the wheel. Oh and I dont use any modelling programs, im not a modeller, neither a developer for bf 2 to be honest, Iam a hobby developer for the cod serie. But I like the skins in forgotten hope very much, they are very detailed. Btw are these brushes you use to texture also somewhere to download or are they custom made by forgotten hope members and also not to give away?

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22-10-2009, 20:10:15 »
this.

Offline Barryman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21-11-2009, 21:11:25 »
Sorry Toddel for my way too late response, LOL! Anyway, I am quite new to texturing so I dont have a really good sample to show you, I mostly made some test textures. I can show you some map shots if you want to? Btw I tried your trick by making custom brushes out of the splatter textures from cgtextures and they are indd very nice, do you also adjust them before you make a brush of it, like blending multiple splatter textures to one or something? and I was wondering how do you make a brush for scratches on the edges of where the plates on a vehicle join eachother?