Author Topic: Tanking in 2.4  (Read 8415 times)

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Tanking in 2.4
« Reply #30 on: 20-09-2011, 20:09:31 »
I had several strange experiences. I think, they should more fit to the Feedback section, but atm there is only this thread about this topic and I don't want to mess everything up.

1. I was 1S1K by a Bazooka sitting in my StuG frontaly - was a littlebit strange, since I was on full health
2. Was in a Panther and 1S1K from the front several times by Cromwell. Also by Sherman (76mm) on maps like Lüttich.
3. The Panzer IV H is atm next to useless against most other allied tanks. It is an easy 1S1K by most allied tanks in the frontside of the turret. You in the PZIV H aren't really able to do this at all allied tanks. So you only will have success, if you flank out a tank, but thats more luck since tanks have 360° view. Panzer IV is IMO only able to compete against the "normal" Sherman (75mm). Everything that is better is just suicide using this tank.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20-09-2011, 20:09:39 »
@2: Panther has a shot trap, which makes shells go through the thin armor on the top of the front via the turret armorplate.

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20-09-2011, 21:09:05 »
sometimes i also feel like the 75/L48 is a bit weak. i mean that thing was quite effective versus shermans. btw. did the sherman M4A1 with the 76mm at least lose its extra armour or is it still there?
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline poisonshot

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21-09-2011, 05:09:23 »
@2: Panther has a shot trap, which makes shells go through the thin armor on the top of the front via the turret armorplate.

No offense but this was worded poorly and hard to understand at least IMO

A shot trap is when a shell bounces off the front of a turret and is in turn directed into the weak top armor of the tank

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21-09-2011, 17:09:36 »
No offense but this was worded poorly and hard to understand at least IMO

A shot trap is when a shell bounces off the front of a turret and is in turn directed into the weak top armor of the tank
That's what I meant. Thanks for clarifying :)

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 22-09-2011, 16:09:20 »
Thanks for the hints. But the other points like a Bazooka killing a StuG fronatly with one shot could need some adjustment for the next patch I think. The Cromwell is also a littlebit bugged. A shot of a Tiger bounces off from the side of the Cromwell very easy. I think it is only a problem, when you shoot with the 88 round of the Tiger. Other tanks like the PanzerIVH have no problems.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24-09-2011, 23:09:54 »
A panther A is quite fragile... just accept it, it is that shot trap(but if you got hit in there you deserve your death). But it is the best tank you could have in game (other than KT).

The pzIV is a serious threat to any kind of shermans - just keep yourself at some distance and it is not that easy to hit the turret that way. Infantry also have hard time against this thing as the only way to damage it is to shoot at the lower tracks/rear/turret. No need of buff or what.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 04-10-2011, 11:10:10 »
Played yesterday on Luttich and mostly used the M10. I read it also in other threads, that the M10 seems to be somewhat bugged. I fired with special ammo on the frontside of a PZIV, but it only started to burn - was in some way wierd, since a normal 76mm Sherman easliy penetrates the frontside of the PZIV turret. I also shot a the rear side of a StuG with the M10 and also got a hitmarker. The StuG started to burn and tried to escape, but I got him. Nevertheless a quiet frustrating situation. It was not even, that the shot bounced off - it was a clear kill. I also somewhat found my fascination for the scout tanks (M8 and Stuart, same as the Puma). If you team up with other scout tanks, you can make nice ambushes and hunt down the better tanks. Most important thing is to stay in movement. With the Greyhound you have also a good chance, that Fausts and Zooks bounce off the sloped armor.

Somewhat funny was a situation, when a 75mm round of a Sherman bounced off, while I was driving a tractor. So the tractor seems much more useful now for tactical movements ;D
I hope the Devs also see this thread also as a kind of feedback to improve the anglesystem. ;)

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05-10-2011, 14:10:11 »
Can sb explain me why rounds from Hellcat or 76mm sherman bounced off Panther side armore when they hit it perpendicuarly?

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05-10-2011, 22:10:50 »
I didn't try it, but I could imagine that you hit the skrits of the Panther. Would be intersting to know wich kind of Panther you mean. I had a quiet strange situation on Luttich with an M10. The Panther was in front of me, not the perfect angle but I could still hit him with the tank destroyer on it's side armor. But it only started to burn and I was like WTF?!?!?! and couldn't escape.  :-\

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05-10-2011, 23:10:59 »
I always have the feeling that shells sometimes do no damage when hitting a fast moving tank. Like the Cromwell or Crusader.

Offline Mazz

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 06-10-2011, 00:10:37 »
Shells will bounce off moving vehicles, and generally more often it occurs the faster they are moving. This is a BF2 hit detection/netcode problem more then a FH2 problem, the shots are not registering correctly. The Crusader, Cromwell, Daimler, Puma are all notorious for doing it. Cromwell also has some issues in the area between the top tracks and hull start, that gap there likes to absorb or deflect shots.

To help this somewhat, aim for the middle section (slightly to the front due to shot delay) of a vehicle moving perpendicular to you, aiming for as flat a shot as possible. The wheels can also cause this problem because they are moving themselves and the impact point can be at a strange angle inside the wheel assemblies. Side turret on German tanksis the best, side hull on everything else I can think of.

Tiger in the wheels, because they are only 60mm there compared to 80 in the hull and turret.

Other notes:

In 2.4, just expect to need a second shot and plan for it, odds are you will.

Loss of power over range is much greater in 2.4 then previous releases, your shots will be noticeably weaker now at range then before.

Avoid hitting any applique armor like sandbags, track links, or those added armor plates on the side of the Sherman Vs and the like, they are all specifically coded to be thicker and not just astethic. Also, never hit a Sherman in the turret with anything, between the curvature and the armor, your wasting the shots compared to hitting the hull.
« Last Edit: 06-10-2011, 00:10:36 by Mazz »
Michael Wittmann's gunner, Bobby Woll, was known to be an excellent Marksman.
He could hit targets at range even on the move.

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10-10-2011, 07:10:45 »
Tank tracks are not weak points in Fh2. that is an urban legend. The Panther A has a weak spot on the lower gun plate though.

Actually, I killed a Panther with a Jumbo, shooting at the right track. It killed it instantly.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10-10-2011, 19:10:00 »
Tank tracks are not weak points in Fh2. that is an urban legend. The Panther A has a weak spot on the lower gun plate though.

Actually, I killed a Panther with a Jumbo, shooting at the right track. It killed it instantly.
You can't know if it was damaged already.

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 11-10-2011, 02:10:56 »
You can't know if it was damaged already.

I can, I was firing at it to the hull and turret, the weak 75mm were bouncing, that was until I shoot at the right track. Perhaps it went through them and penetrated the side armor and boom! It blew up. It wasnt smoking or anything.