Author Topic: Isnt it time to make FH standalone?  (Read 2977 times)

Offline MakeFHGreatAgain

• View Profile
Isnt it time to make FH standalone?
« on: 08-09-2017, 21:09:16 »
The game would benefit greatly from the player boost. I know the devs have shown concern over EA taking issue. However, Project Reality has been standalone for like 4 years now and they've time and time again violated the ToS and nobody has ever taken issue. If PR, a mod so much more publicly known than FH doesnt have any problem with going standalone, then theres no way FH would have anything to worry about.

Please, do it for the future of this great mod.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Re: Isnt it time to make FH standalone?
« Reply #1 on: 08-09-2017, 21:09:01 »
I wish devs do that, but as stated numerous times in here, it not gonna happen. We will sooner see FH2 die than go standalone I'm afraid.

Offline MakeFHGreatAgain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-09-2017, 22:09:20 »
I wish devs do that, but as stated numerous times in here, it not gonna happen. We will sooner see FH2 die than go standalone I'm afraid.

such a shame, this mod deserves the best.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-09-2017, 02:09:35 »
Ill send flowers...

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-09-2017, 05:09:08 »
I'd like to see FH go stand alone just for the small handful of players it will bring in. But I sometimes think people over estimate what it would do; whenever someone brings it up, it seems like they think it'd be something that shoots FH2s player numbers up into the thousands each night.

Standalone would make it easier for people to download and you'd get a nice influx of new players. But imo only a handful of them would stick around and keep playing after a few weeks. FH2 is an almost decade old mod for a decade+ old game that also has a high learning curve and tight knit community. Its hard for new people to break into that and find it enjoyable enough to hold their attention over other games.

Also remember, the FH devs don't host this website (fh2mod.org & it's forums). And it's not advisable to host technically illegal content on a website without their permission.

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-09-2017, 09:09:54 »
I'd like to see FH go stand alone just for the small handful of players it will bring in. But I sometimes think people over estimate what it would do; whenever someone brings it up, it seems like they think it'd be something that shoots FH2s player numbers up into the thousands each night.

Standalone would make it easier for people to download and you'd get a nice influx of new players. But imo only a handful of them would stick around and keep playing after a few weeks. FH2 is an almost decade old mod for a decade+ old game that also has a high learning curve and tight knit community. Its hard for new people to break into that and find it enjoyable enough to hold their attention over other games.

Also remember, the FH devs don't host this website (fh2mod.org & it's forums). And it's not advisable to host technically illegal content on a website without their permission.
Project Reality did shoot into the thousands the moment it was released in standalone.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-09-2017, 10:09:57 »
Hey look, the bimonthly standalone thread. Good to see we are still filling our quotas.

8)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-09-2017, 11:09:02 »
it's even harder when it comes to PR, but somehow:
Project Reality did shoot into the thousands the moment it was released in standalone.

Also:
...remember, the FH devs don't host this website (fh2mod.org & it's forums). And it's not advisable to host technically illegal content on a website without their permission.
FH devs do not accept donations which could be spent on hosting a website to avoid this. This is a terribly wrong policy that will eventually kill this decade old mod.

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09-09-2017, 14:09:33 »
standalone : anyone tried to copy fh2 into battlefield 2 portable ?

get more players : humans are like puppies. the +200 +400 cheeseburger reward (on screen) should be handed out more often in the early levels to keep newcomers around.
Give more Reward in early levels if player is playing in a squad
But maybe its a 762 ranking discussion :-)

donations : maybe ts4ever could make something like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsGbvNrCb24&t=3450s

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09-09-2017, 14:09:52 »
maybe ts4ever could make something like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsGbvNrCb24&t=3450s
The day Ts4EVER will start to do live streaming FH2 gameplay with sunglasess on I will quit playing this game for good.

Offline Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09-09-2017, 19:09:31 »
You cannot compare PR and WW2, that's 2 different community.
Modern warfare is the current (more or less) hype whereas ww2 was the hype in the 2000s.

PR standalone bring back old PR player to the game because PR had a large playerbase before.
This is not the case in FH2.

Plus, Squad helps PR to attract new players

If new players are unable to click 2 buttons to setup FH2, can you expect them to learn how FH2 plays ?
And will you enjoy a server full of people who don't even care about learning or them being stats whores ?

Imo, it's rather a matter of Game Promotion, to be known and have positive review.
And being hype

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09-09-2017, 20:09:33 »
So you are us telling that standalone version would not bring any new players (that will learn the game and stay) or is it just a poor excuse?  ;)

Of course what you said Seth is (partially) true, but I can bet that standalone would bring quite a lot of new players, since making FH2 a standalone game would make the game promotion you mentioned so much easier. With a standalone installer you can focus on promoting FH2 via facebook for example, what is super easy if one want to do it properly, and from there you can make FH2 being downloadable with just one click, without the need of looking for a BF2 copy, installing any 3rd party installers, launchers, messing with illegal CD keys etc.

All the interested newcomer will have to do to get the game is just a one click on the facebook fanpage (you can set a special button for that purpose). It's really hard for me to understand why you guys haven't done that yet, because current way of installing this mod is still pain in the ass (especially for modern standards).

There are still WW2 geeks out there who would be blown away by all the content and quality FH2 has. Whenever I see a new guy in game, and they still pop up fortunately, they say only positive things about your mod. Don't waste that opportunity.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09-09-2017, 23:09:53 »
I love watching videos of our elite players.  It makes me want to take crystal meth to try and beat them.

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10-09-2017, 17:09:33 »
Also a bunch of arcade noobs start playing and constantly complaining about "OP" weapons.
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10-09-2017, 19:09:20 »
I love watching videos of our elite players.  It makes me want to take crystal meth to try and beat them.

I try to beat them by luck and playing unfair, way cheaper.