Author Topic: Cry Engine 3 = Forgotten Hope 3  (Read 7841 times)

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Re: Cry Engine 3 = Forgotten Hope 3
« Reply #30 on: 16-12-2014, 16:12:50 »
Yes, but since I learned about the server monitor, I have been relying on that.

I never realized that it failed to show both #1 and #2 762 servers.

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16-12-2014, 18:12:41 »
That made me lol, but there is a lot of people wondering whether the mod is dead or not. Clearly it hasn't, but can we get the point across?

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 16-12-2014, 19:12:59 »
Still, there have been many times I did actually log in to the game and found all of the servers empty, which is why I started to rely on the server monitor.  Even so, one server with ~30 players isn't exactly much of a community, unforunately.  I'm not sure what happened.  The FH1 days were absolutely booming.

I mean, Medal of Honor still had a large community.  I have not checked in since the Gamespy shutdown, though.  I'm sure that pretty much killed it.

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17-12-2014, 12:12:03 »
I wonder where they get the Servers from, now that the gamespy masterbrowser is dead.
Doesn´t look good with the game-monitor page in general. The Domain is for sale and the forum does not work http://forum.game-monitor.com/ :(
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17-12-2014, 15:12:05 »
Nope, game monitor's forum does not work for me either.

I see that the 762 #2 server is being played on now.  Odd how it goes back and forth between the two servers.  Both located in Germany for 100 players each.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18-12-2014, 01:12:20 »
I see that the 762 #2 server is being played on now.  Odd how it goes back and forth between the two servers.  Both located in Germany for 100 players each.
Switching servers in the middle of the peak time happens because of the dreaded "squad bug": usually one, but sometimes both sides cannot make squads at all or only a certain (low) number of squads. This is randomly caused by making (and deleting?) squads during the "countdown" before the map starts.

In this case, if there are no admins online, the only way to keep playing in a fair and meaningful way is to switch servers.

Even if an admin is present, restarting the server takes time (during which players may simply grow bored of waiting and quit), and the map cycle would inevitably start with Eppeldorf 32 which is the fixed starting map of the otherwise randomized 762 mapcycle. So switching is the quickest and easiest (and almost guaranteed Eppeldorf-free) way - the admin can restart the server in the background while players jump onto the other server that is ready to accept players already.

Offline AfterDune

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14-03-2015, 16:03:43 »
Switching servers in the middle of the peak time happens because of the dreaded "squad bug": usually one, but sometimes both sides cannot make squads at all or only a certain (low) number of squads. This is randomly caused by making (and deleting?) squads during the "countdown" before the map starts.
The squadbug (I believe) is caused when someone creates a squad while the countdown is running and then switches to the other team, without someone else entering said squad. It's something like that. It certainly isn't random, you can reproduce it if you know the steps.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15-03-2015, 00:03:38 »
The proliferation of free licenses for game engines recently means that there are more options than ever to choose from! UE 4 went free this month, and Unity 5 free is offering full features support.

Which can only be good, in the event FH3 ever materializes...

Still, none of those engines can pull off everything Refractor2 can in terms of player numbers and combined arms, without a healthy dose of modification. On the other hand the things they can do, they can do a hundred times prettier and better supported.

The wait continues... :P
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 15-03-2015, 09:03:56 »
The proliferation of free licenses for game engines recently means that there are more options than ever to choose from! UE 4 went free this month, and Unity 5 free is offering full features support.

Which can only be good, in the event FH3 ever materializes...

Still, none of those engines can pull off everything Refractor2 can in terms of player numbers and combined arms, without a healthy dose of modification. On the other hand the things they can do, they can do a hundred times prettier and better supported.

The wait continues... :P
Well Squad is still aiming for 100 players on UE4.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15-03-2015, 11:03:06 »
Well Squad is still aiming for 100 players on UE4.

They might be able to pull it off, but as I said, it will require a lot of work and optimization. Certainly not something that Refractor2 currently provides (even though it took lots of work for that too, but that's due to locked source code, not necessary engine limits).
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15-03-2015, 18:03:19 »
Interestingly, I just built a beta patch and the number now officially reached Forgotten Hope 3.0.004. SO yes, FH3 confirmed.

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15-03-2015, 20:03:10 »
Interestingly, I just built a beta patch and the number now officially reached Forgotten Hope 3.0.004. SO yes, FH3 confirmed.
Yessssssssss!Finaly,please give link to download!!

(LOL) ;D
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 15-03-2015, 21:03:45 »
I don't see the appeal to this.  It would require massive amounts of work and the team would have to restart from square one.  I honestly believe this mod is the definitive world war 2 game.  Every time I get into the game I marvel at how beautiful the maps are and how it really feels like it's transporting me back to a different time so graphics are really not the issue here.  Sure there are restrictions, bugs, etc with the engine but can any one say they don't have fun playing this mod?  And if so, what are you still doing here.

Same here. The combination of the mod and the engine really makes for a unique experience that communicates what it might have felt like to actually be there in those battles. Would a Stuka in this engine sound as scary and impressive as it swoops down on me in another engine ? I don't know but there's more going on with this kinda thing than just porting models into engines and setting up some code.

After seeing CE3 in the last Crysis game I'm really not sure about the engine, and that kind of engine. The kind that seem to put massive CPU/GPU cycles into rendering a few almost unnoticeable extra shaders ... often created to sell bigger and more expensive graphics cards for questionable reasons. The only interesting possibility is the venerable Unreal engine. Look what Gearbox did with it for Borderlands 2. Very impressive levels design with large areas, and with ground and air vehicles flying around. Plus in my opinion the Unreal engine always seems to render textures very accurately, and looks amazing without having a massive hardware overhead.

Or there's always an FH3 ... in... a future real time holographic environment ?  ;)

Offline TheSpectre

• I will h(a)unt you down
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 15-03-2015, 22:03:37 »
Or there's always an FH3 ... in... a future real time holographic environment ?  ;)
jesus christ imagine that with omaha beach

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #44 on: 19-03-2015, 21:03:16 »
I wonder if RadeoPro and SweetFX can be used to "update the engine" as it were, at least visually ? It might not be to Cryengine 3 standards (not that it needs it as I said), or even Holodeck, but this thread got me investigating. I tried Volumetric Ambient Occlusion but was not sure if I could see it or not. I'm sure I've seen a screenshot somwhere of BF2 running with Ambient Occlusion on it.