Author Topic: Project Reality Mod  (Read 76028 times)

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
Re: Project Reality Mod v0.95
« Reply #495 on: 27-09-2011, 13:09:39 »
SiCaRiO, are the lightmaps applied in on the map? It looks like they aren't or it's PR and it's ugly textures and statics striking again  :-\

n lightmaps, i even saw a glare from a lighttube trasspassing a solid bunker xD. textures and models are not from PR, are from BGF i thing. even col mesh are not really tweaked yet, still a long time to finish it :P.

Then the players will create the game play, because they dont need "design" to play, they know better than map designers how soldiers move around in terrain, so it's better to leave it up to them instead of designing real maps.

ever hear of Comand n control? its a game mode in PR: no flags, just firebases, team build firebases and move foward, objetive, destroy the enemys firebases.

its bassicaly what you say, map with hills, valleys, rivers, towns, but no flags, and the gameplay is made by the players.

it works ;)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: 27-09-2011, 13:09:16 »
it works ;)
Ofcourse it does, it's a niche mod. You can make players do anything in a niche mod.
Is it fun? In my opinion, No. I rather play something well designed than to have my co-player create the experience for me, since they simply can't do that, players are not game designers (simply put) because to me a game experience is not created just by VoIP, I demand much more from a computer game if I am to invest hours in to it. A bit like watching movies that lack proper story or directing... if it's bad, I just turn it off.. It's entertainment, nothing else.
Maybe it's just me but... no wait, it's not. :-\

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: 27-09-2011, 13:09:36 »
it works ;)
players are not game designers (simply put)

and im glad its this way, otherwise I will be drowned in the current mainstream fun game industry is trying to shove down my throat :D

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: 27-09-2011, 13:09:23 »

That´s why PR is such an unsuccesful mod that´s being played by a minority of the BF2 modding scene.  ::)
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: 27-09-2011, 13:09:24 »

That´s why PR is such an unsuccesful mod that´s being played by a minority of the BF2 modding scene.  ::)

Pwned.

The thing is, players want something different sometimes, not the usual mainstream "we know how you want to play so we'll design a perfect map for your enjoyment". PR has a different concept, and that's why it's so successful.

Look at Mount and Musket Battalion for example, they have a similar concept where organized regiments conduct line battles. There are no objectives besides one... Kill your enemies before they kill you. There are no flags to hold, no objectives to control (although they introduced a conquest mode similar to BF2 recently), just a massive number of soldiers (over 200!) trying to outmaneuver and outshoot their opponents. And the maps are usually generic and open so the players decide where they will stand and where they will die. :P
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #500 on: 27-09-2011, 15:09:09 »

Pwned.

The thing is, players want something different sometimes, not the usual mainstream "we know how you want to play so we'll design a perfect map for your enjoyment". PR has a different concept, and that's why it's so successful.

Look at Mount and Musket Battalion for example, they have a similar concept where organized regiments conduct line battles. There are no objectives besides one... Kill your enemies before they kill you. There are no flags to hold, no objectives to control (although they introduced a conquest mode similar to BF2 recently), just a massive number of soldiers (over 200!) trying to outmaneuver and outshoot their opponents. And the maps are usually generic and open so the players decide where they will stand and where they will die. :P

Frankly but WWII cannot be done in that style of pure killing - is war really about trying to kill every single enemy soldier?

I mean, I would love to slow down gameplay in some particular map:

- do you find that if you are on the defending side you have very little time(like only 15 seconds?) to prepare your defence? For example: Fall of Tobruk, Siege of Tobruk, whatever, that's why usually you don't need artillery preparation to drive out your enemies - just rush quick and catch them unprepared, some AT guns are even unmanned in Alam Halfa (which is already a huge, spacious map) if you drive fast enough.

- you drove into enemy positions a bit too soon, like in Totalize, sometimes you just got gunned down right outside of the ABC.

- before you ever respawn at the second flag (you got killed in first flag and it got capped), your enemies are already moving into the second flag, possibly already getting into position for epic spawn-kill. The spawntime-distance between flag ratio is a bit off in my opinion.

while slowing down the game like in this project normandy is a bit too much, but future maps definitely need a bit of slow-down at some particular phase of combat, especially at start of the round - give the defending side some love (and more importance to artillery).

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: 27-09-2011, 15:09:34 »

Frankly but WWII cannot be done in that style of pure killing - is war really about trying to kill every single enemy soldier?

I didn't mean that FH 2 should be like that, that's not realistic WW II portrayal. I was merely pointing out that sometimes different concepts can work and it's up to the players to create the gameplay. Sometimes there's no need for maps and terrain that "guide" the battle in a specific direction, as the players are smart enough to notice the opportunities a specific terrain provides and take advantage of them. (If not, you can always CHAARGE mindlessly into your enemy's positions...)
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: 27-09-2011, 15:09:26 »
it works ;)
Ofcourse it does, it's a niche mod. You can make players do anything in a niche mod.
Is it fun? In my opinion, No. I rather play something well designed than to have my co-player create the experience for me, since they simply can't do that, players are not game designers (simply put) because to me a game experience is not created just by VoIP, I demand much more from a computer game if I am to invest hours in to it. A bit like watching movies that lack proper story or directing... if it's bad, I just turn it off.. It's entertainment, nothing else.

I'm glad you have played PR for countless hours and obviously know what you're talking about.

Seriously though, do NOT dismiss communication and teamplay so easily. Unlike most other games, it's using mumble, voice chat (xfire), VOIP and teamwork that really sucks you into the game when you play PR.
3/4th of the time when I'm Squadleader, I'm busy coordinating and talking to people. (Brainless) fighting is only a small part of the game and it's mostly this atmosphere that makes PR what it is.

Unlike a plain shooter game like BF2, the maps in PR are a substitution to gameplay rather than the base. All great gameplay experiences in PR are solely based on great teamwork on communication, which can be achieved on any part of any map despite its design. This is why even the large 4x4km maps are succesfull, which are kinda bare and only have certain build up areas.
Really the only thing PR mappers will seriously have to deal with is proper team balance. 

This is why, unlike games made for casual players/retards, it does not matter (and matters even less at a one time event) how good the map is. Players just need a platform to perform their gameplay on. Whether it's on a hugely detailed inland Normandy map, or just a plain beach. And since the latter is easier and way less time consuming to make, its makes perfect sense to choose a June '44 map for an event.
« Last Edit: 27-09-2011, 15:09:36 by Sander93 »

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: 28-09-2011, 13:09:36 »
and im glad its this way, otherwise I will be drowned in the current mainstream fun game industry is trying to shove down my throat :D
Nice :) you finally admitted on the internet that you think good design always mean shoving down mainstream games down your throat. I knew it all along, and now you admitted it. great, it means chatting with you, is utterly pointless  ;D

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: 28-09-2011, 14:09:22 »
Nice :) you finally admitted on the internet that you think good design always mean shoving down mainstream games down your throat. I knew it all along, and now you admitted it. great, it means chatting with you, is utterly pointless  ;D

Oh come on, he missed just -... fun-game-industry. He didn't mean those games are fun. :P

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: 28-09-2011, 16:09:59 »
what do you mean?

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: 29-09-2011, 13:09:34 »
means "good desing" for a developer does not mean fun game to play.

Offline AfterDune

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: 29-09-2011, 14:09:19 »
Some people seem take Project Normandy way too seriously.. It's a little project, one map, only to show what PR *could be like* in a WW2-setting. It's not aiming for authenticity. And I don't care if anyone thinks beach landings are a bad choice either. I liked it when I started it, I still like it, especially after testing the map with ~50 people last sunday. Not as much as the project is aiming for (100+), but at the moment enough to test it.

The videos show only beach assaults, but the map is not only about that. Behind it is at least 2 sq km of fields, trees, a village, cap areas, etc.

We had a blast this sunday while testing the *beta* version. Yep, there are bugs and the map hasn't been lightmapped properly. My aim for last sunday was to test gameplay mechanics, weapons, etc. And with great success - and LOADS of fun! :)

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: 29-09-2011, 16:09:18 »
Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lllyJaW5vAA&feature=player_embedded

Originally posted here : http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f388-pr-bf2-community-modding/94324-project-normandy-general-discussion-39.html

Imagine this with 128 players!! This is gonna be awesome. AD, do you think you will do like BF:V will? Like a map in part of PR itself?
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline AfterDune

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: 29-09-2011, 16:09:02 »
There are no plans to incorporate it into the main PR build. But I can choose to update it with every release, if it's required (and if enough people still play it).