Author Topic: Project Reality Mod  (Read 75097 times)

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
Re: Project Reality Mod v0.95
« Reply #480 on: 26-09-2011, 22:09:25 »
so, the other threat got locked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijYgMV6ByfA

17 minutes of fotage from last night test :P.

image that with 128 players =9

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: 26-09-2011, 22:09:05 »
feels a bit dead and slow for being a normandy beach invasion. no 'holy-shit' moments at all in the entire video...  :-\

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: 26-09-2011, 22:09:25 »
map is big for 20 players :P

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: 26-09-2011, 22:09:40 »
As others have said in the locked thread, this whole project is far away from any authenticity to the June 44 landings, be it uniforms, the shape of the map (I´d really love to see an authentic Omaha Beach represantation in a video game!) and vehicles used.

But I know that it´s a test of how WW2 with PR mechanisms can look like and not a challenger for FH2 so I judge it by that and I´m actually really excited to see how it´d all work out. Maybe another battle scenario and not a beach landing would´ve been a better choice, but still, I can´t wait to get my hands on it one day and I´m sure that WW2 combat with PR mechanisms is quite alot of fun, if done correctly.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: 26-09-2011, 22:09:07 »
Umm.... what's with those MG nests high up on the cliff, directly facing the beaches, with HUEG firing ports you could fly a B-17 through? Also, I realize this is an open beta of a small-scale modmod, but the map looks very sparsely detailed.

I would say that PR style would be more suitable for the "Nazis vs. Resistance" style scenarios which on the other hand are less suitable for FH style. Though even then (especially so then!) you would need a map filled with objects behind which the Resistance can hide.

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: 26-09-2011, 23:09:25 »
It looks great for what it's trying to achieve. Can't wait to play WWII in PR's style, looks like a lot of fun.

Are the vehicles operated by one or two persons btw?

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: 27-09-2011, 00:09:25 »
I would say that PR style would be more suitable for the "Nazis vs. Resistance" style scenarios which on the other hand are less suitable for FH style. Though even then (especially so then!) you would need a map filled with objects behind which the Resistance can hide.
Yea, but that would need a statics library in the size of ours... I think a "normandy beach" is the easiest pick since you dont need more than a few bunkers.. the rest can be made using vBF2 or PR statics, grass, trees etc..
I can't judge since Ill never be playing this map, but I def wouldnt have picked normandy beach for this project, it comes with way too many preconceptions.. and calling it "june 1944" instead of "Omaha" is just vague, it's Omaha and will always be Omaha for every single person downloading it, and of all the maps you can make for a shooter game, Omaha is the one that is loaded with the most preconceptions. That, makes it a bad choice for this project, but a good choice for FH2.. (dont ask why we still dont have it..)

Making a big generic inland Normandy map with fields, farms, villages, hedges etc would have been much smarter, as you can apply any sort of game mode or design on top of it. Omaha will just lock you to one specific type of game play. It's putting all the eggs in one basket before knowing if the basket will hold, and it will also disappoint all those with their inner visions of what Omaha beach needs to be.
Maybe as a 3rd PR:WW2 map, Omaha could be made.. but for first try.... no.

The creator might state that "I dont care about reality or Omaha or history, I just wanna make a fun WW2 map for PR" which is fine and all, but he seems to not be in touch with player's expectations, which is what I predict will be the fall of this project. :-\
« Last Edit: 27-09-2011, 00:09:05 by Natty »

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: 27-09-2011, 00:09:18 »
Natty still up too late? You're talking nonsense. First you say statics are a problem and then you suggest to make an inland map with loads of WWII statics, to which Afterdune simply has no access to. It's fine to have a vague beach map for a one time event. It's just an event, at most a test to see whether there is or isn't a large playerbase to support a WWII PR spin-off. It's pointless to spend countless hours in making a real map that will only be played for a weekend.

Also, you're just thinking of Saving Private Ryan's Omaha. The real beach is nothing like that. At most, one sector resembles a bit of how the beach is portrayed there. Normal people will be playing this mod anyway, and they won't care much for true historical accuracy, at least not in a one time event mod/map.

Without a solid gameplay base to build upon, I think Afterdune made a good choice to make a map which will involve epic assaults and defending instead of a map that balances refined gameplay.

You're thinking too much of a real game or mod of this. It isn't.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: 27-09-2011, 00:09:12 »
That, makes it a bad choice for this project, but a good choice for FH2.. (dont ask why we still dont have it..)
Why don't we have it? :P

Looks, okay, like 5/10. More work needed. And I feel the map looks too big. 32 vs 32 ain't exactly 43,250 vs 7,800 (taken from Omaha Beach article on wiki. Is these the correct numbers?)

This brings up a question I have asked myself: Is even teams hardcoded for BF2? For a map like Omaha, it is seems like it's a bit overkill to have 1:1 strength ratio. The wiki numbers are 5,54:1. Is it possible to create maps where the German defenders are inferior in manpower? (This has especially bothered me on Insurgency maps on PR where the US and terrorist forces are even. US have Over 9000 in equipment while the terrorists have an old Ak. The US should IMHO have fewer soldiers.)

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: 27-09-2011, 00:09:54 »
map is designed for a PR event with 128 (some say 200) players :P, so no 32v32.

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: 27-09-2011, 04:09:50 »
SiCaRiO, are the lightmaps applied in on the map? It looks like they aren't or it's PR and it's ugly textures and statics striking again  :-\
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: 27-09-2011, 09:09:27 »
Natty still up too late? You're talking nonsense. First you say statics are a problem and then you suggest to make an inland map with loads of WWII statics, to which Afterdune simply has no access to.
Maybe it's passed your bedtime "sander" since you seemed to be too tired to see my point. My point was; I understand that making a bf2 terrain with some bunker is the easy-way-out, and that is the reason why they're doing this. However, to make it even remotely interesting with a PR ww2 map, it should be made in to something more interesting.. get it? Making an Omaha map which isnt Omaha is just.... ehh.... Making interesting fun maps requires work, it's not like Gulf of Oman for BF2 would have been any popular if the map stopped at the railroad (no construction yard or village behind) and the US had to walk ashore from the water while the MECs sit in bunkers and just pwn them. No one would play it, it's just not enough game material for people to care about. However, in bf1942, after seeing SPR and other movies, people loved the meatgrinder of having just 2 ways off the beach. It was a proper gameplay design which had a compelling game play, a clear challenge and which players "accepted" to be in favor of the other team, just because they projected their own vision of "Omaha" on to the screen, even if the map wasnt even trying to look or be the real Omaha.... This PR map could do the same, but if it tries to hide behind being "another beach" or "another section" people wont care. Maybe fill up a server once or twice, but surely there isnt any depth in terms of experience, just running over no-name BF2 terrain with sand texture and fight for some lame bunker.

Ive been to the real Omaha, I know everything about it, that's not the point...The point is, if you arent making Omaha, but in effect you're just making a little sand slope with some random bunker and one team attacks from the sea.. why is that interesting?.......... Remove the concept of "Omaha" and this is the worst way you could design a map... just look at it, would anyone design such map if it wasnt attached to something important?  ???

Maybe you dont understand this, but the reason Omaha is popular in games, is because it's Omaha, not because it's fun to run over an open sand patch and get mowed down by MGs. If the idea is not to represent Omaha, then choosing this environment and a fake scenario on top of it is among the worst choices for how to build a map. I am not talking about historical accuracy or realism here, I give f**k all about that, the only thing Im saying is that without that metadata attached to it, this is simply not a fun thing to play.

anyway..take my advice or choose to troll/whine against them just because this is the interwebz and you can, not that I care  :-\

Offline Smiles

• FH-Betatester
  • Boooo Auto-Spot! Booo
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: 27-09-2011, 09:09:50 »
Is it possible within the engine to change the player spawntime after a certain flag has been capped?
I'm taking my own freedom
puttin' it in my song
singing loud and strong
proving all day long
I'm takin' my freedom
puttin' it in my stroll
I'll be hop-steppin' y'all
lettin' the joy unfold

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: 27-09-2011, 09:09:33 »
Once again Natty, you're thinking too much along the lines of a full sized game. This is a mod made for a one time event, put together by one guy. You can't expect him to make a proper map besides getting all the models etc right. And no one of the PR community will.

And even then, unlike FH2 IMO, PR can still be enjoyable without a good map because of its gameplay and how it focusses on communication and team based teamwork. The PR audience it not BF's audience so keep that in mind, they couldn't care less if the map wasn't done properly. They don't need a map designed to make retards happy.

Coming from PR myself and knowing its playerbase, I can guarentee you that this little project will achieve its goal with ease.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: 27-09-2011, 09:09:43 »
Yes, you are right, PR is a great platform where players can pretend that they dont need designed maps to play. 4x4km of BF2 heightmap is all they need, right? + VoIP so they can pretend to be real soldiers in a real war. Forget what I said, don't design the map. just create a cloud-layer image on the heightmap in PS and you get a terrain, slap TPaint texture on it and use the random CP code and then paint the whole map with grass and trees, and you got a perfectly fine map in 30min work.  ;D
Then the players will create the game play, because they dont need "design" to play, they know better than map designers how soldiers move around in terrain, so it's better to leave it up to them instead of designing real maps.

Got'cha