Author Topic: Project Reality Mod  (Read 75099 times)

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
Re: Project Reality Mod v0.95
« Reply #405 on: 31-03-2011, 21:03:07 »
http://www.realitymod.com/

PR AMA2 Cancelled
PR Vietnam Cancelled

:'(

... wait nvmd april 1st faill...    ::)
Yeah.. it's April 1st in Australia ;)
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Tuco

• FH lurker since 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: 31-03-2011, 21:03:35 »
Silly Australians wait for the rest of the world to catch up damn you!! ;D
If you have to shoot, shoot, dont talk.

Offline 508th PIR Hawkeye

• Pacific? :D
    • View Profile
    • www.508thpir.com
« Reply #407 on: 28-05-2011, 23:05:02 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYIuJsT4KM0

nom nom nom  ;D Can't wait for the release of the Vietnam and Normandy expensions.
"The American Paratrooper exists to give the  enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." -- Gen. George Patton

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Arc_Shielder

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: 29-05-2011, 04:05:47 »
I just read the entirety of this thread and I am a little stocked to this FH2 vs PR debate. As a solid PR player (even though I do occasionally play FH2 too), it seems to me people are forgetting some basic elements when you're new in a game.

First of all, you join the forum and introduce yourself to the community so that you can be welcomed by the nicest ones. Second, you read the manual or watch videos to understand the in-game mechanics. Third, having acquired the basic knowledge in what are the best servers, voip systems, what to do or not as a newbie, THEN you can finally start judging the game for what it is.
Finally, patience. Whether it's fast-paced, a MMORPG or Minecraft, you need to give the game a fair chance for a few days as opposed to hours.

This is obviously not directed to the loyal FH2 core, but rather a general trend I find in online gaming communities. It's about being sensible, which in this time and age for over 18 years old should be more than common.

Which leads me to another thing that wasn't referred in here. PR squad structural system and VOIP usage (about 90% of the community) is what leading you to believe there's more assholes than any other BF2 mod. Not only it obliges you to randomly interact with strangers in order to enjoy it properly, but listening to assholes just emphasize the annoyance even more.
But if you do join the right servers the likelihood of facing rude people or finding bad teamwork drops significantly. Even to nil, if you get to know who are the best Squad Leaders around.

My experience as a newbie was intimidating, I must confess. I didn't read the manual and all those things I am now suggesting. In fact, I screwed up so much and felt hurt on some treatment that when I joined a clan they explained me everything and straight me up in a couple of weeks. After that, I understood some of the behavior behind it and knew where to go and what to do to have fun. Even my patience developed considerably with time and I now I'm facing issues in returning to fast-paced FPS. It doesn't give me time to think or is just as a complex tactically (doesn't mean same will occur to you though). 

I'm opening a paragraph for my last line as it was often referred around here.
As some people very well said, it is a reenactment/role-playing like any other attempt at a military simulation. I also dislike calling PR the latter since it's obvious just an arcadey version of Arma II - bending the perception of realism due to BF2 engine limitations and also to promote better teamwork.
However, most Squad Leaders are not over-complicating it or having an megalomaniac behavior. To what I understood, it's some of you who here that don't understand how the game is played and then whine to why you have to wait (holding a strategical location/covering a friendly squad/capping a flag/defending FOB) or why isn't the squad more straightforward (most of the times it will lead to massive failure). Every SL have their own style at doing things - experience alike - and it will definitely reflect on the outcome. This "over the top tactical behavior" you speak of is nothing but a false perception, since the only ones that actually behave like that are elitist clans with tactics like "passive-agressive" and all that bs - and they are not efficient in-game.
At the end, it's just a need - a team or squad one. A Squad Leader can't command and get a cohesive group if you start walking randomly away from the medic or think it's cool to shoot an enemy 100 meters away when the squad is capping the flag stealthily.

Lonewolfing and self-righteous thinking gets you killed so some discipline is in order - to enjoy the game. You're not Silly Savage (and he has tons of experience behind him, even though in this particularly case it was largely backed up by luck): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Wmsd2FvVg

Not denying that a few SLs may be rude or even dumb, but when that happens, just move to another squad and report any abusive behavior to the admins.

And to end this post, - apart from all the other variables I referred - I have no idea what ill treatment to newbies is that in our community. Anyone that has a regular reading in our forums, anyone that has played it for months or years, will assure that it is a lie or a misconception. I haven't testified it once and believe it or not, when a new guy gets in a squad and tell us promptly that he is new - most will "overhelp" him. Last time I found myself giving random tips along with 4 guys to this newbie that at some point I thought we were annoying him. That's how helpful most of PR players are.

If it's not your cup of tea, then it's not your cup of tea. But don't try to deconstruct something that you clearly spent little time at.

« Last Edit: 29-05-2011, 04:05:56 by Arc_Shielder »

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: 29-05-2011, 09:05:51 »
^
Usually but there's a share of dicks too. I remember that when I started to play the game, a guy in my squad tk me just because I didnt own a headset and he did it like 9 times and the admin was giving him the right to tk me because I wasnt a "teamplayer" even though I stayed most of the round with an lmg covering the flank of a spawnpoint or with binoculars reporting enemy movement.

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: 29-05-2011, 09:05:05 »
Lowewolfing works much better in PR than in FH2. Most of the squads are so stupid you can just easily kill them one by one. In FH2 you just get shot by rifle fire of the whole squad.

Offline Damecos

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: 29-05-2011, 11:05:41 »
It would probably help if some didn't express ignorant generalizations about the thousands of people who play/ed either mod (or both), especially those which imply superiority or inferiority.

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: 29-05-2011, 11:05:02 »
It would help what?

Haven't seen much of those comment anyway.

Offline Arc_Shielder

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: 29-05-2011, 12:05:23 »
Lowewolfing works much better in PR than in FH2. Most of the squads are so stupid you can just easily kill them one by one. In FH2 you just get shot by rifle fire of the whole squad.

You are actually one of the flamers in this thread that Damecos is talking about.

It's also backed up with an extreme incoherence.  
What makes PR unique it's his squad structural system and interface that allows a few players with supposedly strategical thinking to lead others. Squads move along in formations (column or line mostly), cover different positions, shovel assets and know that "flanking" is primal. Yet you compare it to a mod which still has a deep vanilla feel to it where players are very much scattered and yet you call it "rifle fire of the whole squad"?
Collective is ahead of the individual, if you stuck the whole round ambushing in ridiculous areas and wasting tickets or not feeling your presence where is most needed, then you can be well sure that most of the team will lecture you in Mumble. There are inclusive servers that promote teamwork by warning and then kicking.

I remember reading some guy that said that he threw a grenade and killed 4 enemies while going rambo to a gas station. For anyone that played the game all these sentences smell alot like bs and fanboyism, on the same level of PR players that proclaim that their gained skills work so much better in fast-paced FPS and can pwn them all.
Point is, even if hypothetically your individual skills payed off in PR, it would be of little good if you're not doing it for the team (and there are specific cases under this depending of the map). However it seems pretty clear that some like you here are comparing mods at that level, when they're a different breed on their own- and that means you're already losing the argumentation battle.
Do that neat ambushing to raise your ratio and you will be lectured in Mumble and even kicked in certain servers for not being teamwork friendly. That's not the objective of PR (and I mean in-game). Play it properly and then tell me if it's still easy to keep your ratio high as a grunt. But of course, I'm pretty sure those lonewolfing l33t powers you have are nothing but a experience in daydreamland for the sake of flamming.

« Last Edit: 29-05-2011, 12:05:04 by Arc_Shielder »

Offline Arc_Shielder

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: 29-05-2011, 12:05:09 »
^
Usually but there's a share of dicks too. I remember that when I started to play the game, a guy in my squad tk me just because I didnt own a headset and he did it like 9 times and the admin was giving him the right to tk me because I wasnt a "teamplayer" even though I stayed most of the round with an lmg covering the flank of a spawnpoint or with binoculars reporting enemy movement.

There actually 2 or 3 famous servers that most veterans do not join at any time since the server admins are assholes. Do you remember the name?

However, most players do not like non-mic for the simple reason that communication is crucial. By the time you type close enemy contact, the whole squad will already be knowing by the amount of bullets dropping on their asses.
Also most of the times we get non-mic players doing BF2 things, violating either the server rules or the game concept. Like yesterday we had this guy called Miloz in a VOIP Squad. The SL let him come aboard, ordered him through typing and this Miloz kept wandering around and then cry all when kicked. Of course there are a few like you who attempted to help, but the community will generally ignore you. There is not really an ethical reason for that so it is wrong.
However, get a mic if you still wish to give it another go, can't play the mod properly without it. I started the same way btw, so trust me, it makes the whole difference.

EDIT: Btw, if anyone needs a nice introduction to PR, pm me and I will help you out. The same way I would like to play FH2 in a more organized manner. I am aware that some guys meet up to play like that (as I encountered once) and it would be nice to know the time and place.
« Last Edit: 29-05-2011, 12:05:56 by Arc_Shielder »

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: 29-05-2011, 12:05:32 »
I've played PR a lot without a mic... No problems. Even not in teamplay squad. Only problem has been in other player's attitudes. I play usually as medic or marksman/sniper. Sometimes I use A10 if it's available.

Offline Damecos

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: 29-05-2011, 12:05:14 »
It would help what?
Relations between FH2 and PR in particular.

Haven't seen much of those comment anyway.
Saying most PR squads are stupid whilst implying FH2 squads are superior qualifies in my view.

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: 29-05-2011, 13:05:16 »

You are actually one of the flamers in this thread that Damecos is talking about.

Am I? So ain't allowed to say my opinion about some matter because it's not about how super good PR is?

This thread is about PR, I haven't said PR sucks or anything just told my opinion about one thing in the mod and you all start flaming me that I whine and talk shit about PR.

Also I don't have to like the mod to be allowed to post in the thread in FH2 forums about PR and opinions about it. "Fanboy" comments don't give accurate picture about the mods to new players, so it's good to have different opinions of different people.

I haven't flamed or said that PR sucks, just stated my opinion that lonewolfing does work in PR, is it a good thing or bad thing? That is decided by the reader of the comment. So please don't start flaming me for not saying PR is worlds best team playing game and praise it all the time.

I just give accurate opinion about lonewolfing not flaming, trolling or talking shit about other mods. Assholes.

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: 29-05-2011, 13:05:58 »
I've played PR a lot without a mic... No problems. Even not in teamplay squad. Only problem has been in other player's attitudes. I play usually as medic or marksman/sniper. Sometimes I use A10 if it's available.

Trust me, especially if you're going CAS or support a mic (in combo with mumble) will boost both your performance and your fun.

Install mumble, make it work and play some evenings on NwA server. Then you will have some rounds you will never forget. I've played FH2 about as much but although it most of the time is more fun, PR certainly has more epic moments you will remember.