Author Topic: Project Reality Mod  (Read 75730 times)

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
Re: Project Reality Mod v0.9
« Reply #195 on: 14-04-2010, 04:04:11 »
Well, as I said, I've seen the same in FH2, including PR bashing. I just don't want this community doing the same the PR community, and heck, virtually every gaming community. At this point, I've seen about the same playing PR/FH2, both communities are similar in many respects. In PR, players get angry because they expect you to know what to do, and if you don't , there's a problem. In FH, the same thing could happen, though because the way FH2 is setup, not as much is lost when you lose a Tank for example.  I just wish that both PR and FH2 players(Some do, many don't) could have open minds about both mods. I can honestly understand why some of them think FH2 is too arcade(they want something more unique from vBF2), and in many respects I agree, but I still play it because I personally have no problem with it. Some people want more of a radical change to gameplay, so they prefer PR.  Others wish for a little realism, with history and fun. Those guys prefer FH2. The problem for me starts when the debate between which is better begins, and we have a wave of elitism that is in effect now. I think they are both great mods, and both have great gameplay. It all depends on what the person in particular thinks is more fun. Of course, this is when people begin saying very opinionated statements about one mod or the other, given whichever one they prefer, which is again more elitist crap that should have no meaning, considering that what a person likes is their opinion.

Offline hankypanky

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 14-04-2010, 04:04:00 »
Well, as I said, I've seen the same in FH2, including PR bashing. I just don't want this community doing the same the PR community, and heck, virtually every gaming community. At this point, I've seen about the same playing PR/FH2, both communities are similar in many respects. In PR, players get angry because they expect you to know what to do, and if you don't , there's a problem. In FH, the same thing could happen, though because the way FH2 is setup, not as much is lost when you lose a Tank for example.  I just wish that both PR and FH2 players(Some do, many don't) could have open minds about both mods. I can honestly understand why some of them think FH2 is too arcade(they want something more unique from vBF2), and in many respects I agree, but I still play it because I personally have no problem with it. Some people want more of a radical change to gameplay, so they prefer PR.  Others wish for a little realism, with history and fun. Those guys prefer FH2. The problem for me starts when the debate between which is better begins, and we have a wave of elitism that is in effect now. I think they are both great mods, and both have great gameplay. It all depends on what the person in particular thinks is more fun. Of course, this is when people begin saying very opinionated statements about one mod or the other, given whichever one they prefer, which is again more elitist crap that should have no meaning, considering that what a person likes is their opinion.

I agree, people should voice their opinion but its only an opinion. The only thing I was pointing out was that PR attracts more hardcore gamers, who are much more serious, then the average FH2 guy. This can obviously have its own problems. I was also pointing out my displeasure at the competition going on between both mods. However you made a very good point, for a matter of fact I might quote you in the future on the PR boards :)
My ingame name is [PUG]mr.hanky1945

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 14-04-2010, 04:04:29 »
So the new version, 0.91 is out. Apparently alot of people are unhappy with it on the PR forums.

Personally I really really disliked 0.9 because suddenly I had a huge performance hit on all of the maps. Maps I used to get 60 fps on I barely scrape 30 now, and the ones I got 30 on before are total slide shows. The devs clearly screwed up between 0.87 and 0.9, and apparently things aren't much better in 0.91.

I used to play the mod often, but now what's the point when I can't even see what's going on? Lowering settings does not help, which points to major optimization issues. I just don't see how the devs could release a version that makes the game unplayable for so many people?

And on the elitism topic, I hate to say, it but I see ALOT more PR elitism towards FH2 than vise versa. Of course, it exists, but it's pretty one sided in that matter. If you scan through this thread, you'll see just how many FH2 players play PR and have supported the team in the past. That's pretty hard to find on the PR forums, and just mentioning "FH2" in a PR server often opens up a massive can of worms. Pretty immature, if you ask me.
« Last Edit: 14-04-2010, 04:04:30 by Hockeywarrior »

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 14-04-2010, 05:04:09 »
BTW whats up with all this talk on the PR forums about how the FH2 team should give up all its assets, like EOD2 did? This has been going on for a while, people wanting FH2 and PR to merge. TBH I find its kinda insulting, FH2 is great as it is, and deserves to be its own mod. Just because FH2 has a smaller community doesn't mean its a failure.

You will pry our FH from my cold dead hands.

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 14-04-2010, 07:04:09 »
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline General Tso

• Head Chump
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: 14-04-2010, 21:04:25 »
Now I'm too frightened to even try PR!  I feel like I would be in way over my head without weeks of tutorials.   ;)

Offline Alberto22

• proud to be italian
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 14-04-2010, 21:04:37 »
since new patch now i can play gaza beach and other map without lag, very good patch

Offline Zrix

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 14-04-2010, 21:04:09 »
Now I'm too frightened to even try PR!  I feel like I would be in way over my head without weeks of tutorials.   ;)
Heh, you'll be fine :) There's a steep learning curve though, but just hang in there.

There's a pretty extensive manual, and a singleplayer mode. That should be enough to get familiar with the game mechanics.
Once you get online, there's often room for a beginner in the squads. Just let them know you're new and need some pointers, and follow the advice and orders given to you. A mic and workign VOIP is a big plus.
Oh, and try to watch some gameplay videos on YouTube. They are awesome for getting to know how things work.
« Last Edit: 14-04-2010, 21:04:28 by Zrix »

Offline hankypanky

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 15-04-2010, 00:04:06 »
since new patch now i can play gaza beach and other map without lag, very good patch
TBH it wasn't nearly good enough :( Oh well the mod is free, its not like I'm paying money for anything :)
My ingame name is [PUG]mr.hanky1945

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 15-04-2010, 01:04:33 »
.9 was a pretty big step, I somewhat expected problems. I think that eventually they will iron them out however

Offline Excavus

• Member of the FH2 Cynic Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 15-04-2010, 03:04:44 »
.91 wasn't very good patch as I expected. You can't build FOBs on the edge of the map now, which sucks. I don't get any better performance on maps except a lower view distance. I still have a slideshow on Fallujah.

Offline Alberto22

• proud to be italian
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 15-04-2010, 03:04:57 »
try lower video settings, for me, i have a very smooth play in all maps that before 0.91 were lagging

Offline Excavus

• Member of the FH2 Cynic Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 15-04-2010, 05:04:14 »
I did lower video settings. Everything is on high except textures which are on medium, and it works fine. However I should be able to put the textures back on high like back in .87.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #208 on: 15-04-2010, 19:04:26 »
try lower video settings, for me, i have a very smooth play in all maps that before 0.91 were lagging
Same goes for me, better flow with this patch

But still, that bloody MT5 shader punkbuster crap is still coming by from time to time for me

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 15-04-2010, 22:04:22 »
I did lower video settings. Everything is on high except textures which are on medium, and it works fine. However I should be able to put the textures back on high like back in .87.
I usually find that lowering settings doesn't effect my FPS, which is an issue alot of people are having, even those with really nice tricked out gaming machines who ran 0.87 like a breeze.

This points to major optimization issues which were obviously introduced primarily in 0.9. Now lowered view distances hurt gameplay without actually addressing the problem that's causing the huge performance problems.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA