Author Topic: Tanks and vehicles  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Sgt.Collins

• View Profile
Tanks and vehicles
« on: 06-11-2016, 01:11:04 »
Good evening!

I wanted to open a discussion and have the answer of the devs about tanks and vehicles in general.

I have to say at first that the amount of work is just giant and it's the only game I keep playing because no other game or mod put me in the famous WW2 battles and in a degree of realism for landscapes and material used never seen elsewhere.

But due to the engine of BF2 (i'm pretty sure this is its reason) I feel like vehicles no have the weight they're supposed to have, their handling doesn't seem right.

Let me explain myself,

First example, the bren carrier, it weights 3.75 tons (Wikipédia) but in game, it feels like a car and breaks itself very easily when taking a slope too rapidly and when driving by the craters...

Second one, the Stuart ( works with any tanks really), 14 tons (average), accelerates like a race horse and performing wheelings when getting uphill or any slope.

I think you get the idea of what I want to say, is there any chance to make all ground vehicles HEAVIER so that you really feel its weight and its corresponding handling, in order to have most of the time the tracks or wheels on the dirt and not in the sky?

I appreciate any answer and opinion about it!

Again, thanks to the devs for having created an enjoyable WW2 experience!

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tanks and vehicles
« Reply #1 on: 06-11-2016, 17:11:00 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSBMuIbbNRQ

Sadly I can't find an equivalent training/testing video of the Stuart, but I'm pretty certain you'd get the same result.

Offline Sgt.Collins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-11-2016, 17:11:38 »
Nice video!

I admit that Stuart acceleration rate could be true, but when you see the last jump that the Carrier does in your video, i'm pretty sure that in game it would blow itself up.

I still Wonder if it's possible to reupdate the collision damages and weights of vehicles.

I just played Ramelle as german and driving through craters made me lose 5 or 10% of "health" of the Sdkfz251 and when commanding a Marder, that thing "bounced" and nearly turned upside down.

Can you tell me if it's possible and if yes, are you thinking about it?

I have no agressivity, i just want to know.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06-11-2016, 22:11:18 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSBMuIbbNRQ

Sadly I can't find an equivalent training/testing video of the Stuart, but I'm pretty certain you'd get the same result.

I always wondered if the drivers were permanently paralyzed after destroying their backs like that lol

Offline Chad1992

• Back in the Swing of Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07-11-2016, 05:11:09 »
Yeah I have notice that when it comes to driving, vehicles are made of tin and take damage VERY easily.  They also hate hills.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20-11-2016, 13:11:57 »
Could anyone explain how the weight/physics is determined code-wise? I've seen a Tiger bouncing around like a kangaroo in Ramelle Neuville, but for example the Pershing (that hasn't been even tweaked for FH2) feels solid, heavy and in a right way, a bit awkward to drive. Why so?

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-12-2016, 22:12:44 »
I find everything good only trucks are awfull. Kubel IMO has best handling coded. The changing gears,sound of heavy and hard aceleratilon of it is great. Trucks have awfull sound and no gears and no aceleration. I know its probably because of usage of it in gameplay, but cmon give them proper aceleration(doesnt mean same speed as kubel or car just realistic sounds etc.)

Also give Lily marlene for opel in desert instead of horn ;D
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-01-2017, 19:01:12 »
Could anyone explain how the weight/physics is determined code-wise? I've seen a Tiger bouncing around like a kangaroo in Ramelle Neuville, but for example the Pershing (that hasn't been even tweaked for FH2) feels solid, heavy and in a right way, a bit awkward to drive. Why so?
What? Send a video for clarification!
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)