Author Topic: Climb Tree Suggestion  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
Climb Tree Suggestion
« on: 13-07-2015, 16:07:02 »
I remember in some of the many berlin map mods in bf1942. It was possible to make a hidden/invisible ladder on buildings.
Maybe its also possible in FH2. Snipers could climb trees and hide & snipe ??

Offline Kinryu

• View Profile
Re: Climb Tree Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: 28-08-2015, 23:08:54 »
This would be cool but I don't know if it's possible.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29-08-2015, 16:08:23 »
« Last Edit: 03-03-2019, 12:03:44 by nysä »

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30-08-2015, 09:08:40 »
I think it might be possible to code a tree like a ladder or maybe put an invisible ladder on the tree. Not sure though.

Offline Kinryu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02-09-2015, 06:09:38 »
I know some games like Fallout have the action tied to the object itself (in the geck) to streamline map creation.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02-09-2015, 08:09:04 »
Two approaches:
1. Make tree have invisible ladder and invisible platform for sniper to prone in.
2. Make tree a vehicle that can be 'entered'

Pros:
1. Statics all exist.
2. Easier for players to use. Can have actual animation that makes it immersive.

Drawback:
1. Fair and subtle, but if any dev decides it woupd be interesting enough to gameplay.
2. An annoyance to animate. Complex to code. Wierd unless tree is indestructible,mbut guy in open seat can be killed.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07-09-2015, 17:09:53 »
Check out what Devilman (a very talented coder if you dont know about him) sent me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0ZlkTKjIXo

Perhaps the developers could maybe seek his advice if this will be implemented some day?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07-09-2015, 17:09:22 »
Lol "talented coder". Takes a lot of talent to put an invisible ladder and platform into a tree. There is a reason that guy is banned on this forum: for devs he is annoying as fuck. He comes in here and posts videos of what is "possible" on the BF2 engine and the slack jawed yokels eat it up. Then they ask why it isn't in. Nevermind that he often outright cheats or doesn't mention that lots of this coding stuff doesn't work online at all.

As an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz44Q_sCsi4

Amazing, right? We always thought this was impossible! Hire this man! Well, notice how he drives only on a completely flat surface and in a straight line? Well that is because the flak is just a part of the truck, much like our aa trucks in fact. Just this one looks fucking stupid if you drive a curve or up a hill.

So no, he is not a "talented coder", he is a talented hoaxer who preys on the incompetent to appear amazing. He probably jacks off to you mentioning him as we speak.

About the tree thing: Sure it is possible, but it is a stupid idea of the kind bored public players come up with. There is no way to implement this without it being either inconsistent (why is only one tree climbable and the others aren't) or a totally superfluous gimmick that advocates camping even more than is already the case. Also, imagine trying to take cover behind a tree and starting to climb it instead. There is a difference between coding something into a mod because you can and actually designing it to have a point. There is lots of stuff we could do that we don't because there would be no point on it. This, by the way, is the difference between an actual modder and a random script kiddy like Devilman.
Which makes it all the more frustrating to see people fawn over his inconsequential play-things.
« Last Edit: 07-09-2015, 17:09:54 by Ts4EVER »

Offline colores

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07-09-2015, 19:09:13 »
Also, imagine trying to take cover behind a tree and starting to climb it instead.

In this case you could put the ladder at a certain height to, if you want to climb the tree have to jump first.

...and voilá! I'm already a talented coder also  ;D
« Last Edit: 09-09-2015, 02:09:55 by colores »

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07-09-2015, 20:09:01 »
Is there no static grapple rope in the BF2 mod world? 
Seems like that would be easy to do and a mapper could put it wherever they want.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07-09-2015, 21:09:51 »
I think TS4ever ended the tread.

It's called Gameplay, and I think he nailed the issue quite well.

It's not the technolohy. It's the why of it all.

Offline Kinryu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07-09-2015, 22:09:35 »
I think TS4ever ended the tread.

It's called Gameplay, and I think he nailed the issue quite well.

It's not the technolohy. It's the why of it all.
Agreed.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08-09-2015, 22:09:32 »
When will people learn to stop making suggestions to the "official" Devs?  They will never do anything you want.  They're not going to add anything to their workload. 

If you ask the right people, your tree or train or obscure battle map might show up in a tournament or event  custom mini-mod. 

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08-09-2015, 22:09:39 »
When will people learn to stop making suggestions to the "official" Devs?  They will never do anything you want.  They're not going to add anything to their workload. 

Let's see:
- Stielgranate for Pak37 suggested - Krätzer makes it and a dev blog about it
- Better Italian vehicles suggested - Stubb ports over the Semovente 75 from FH1
- Russian PTRD or PTRS AT rifles suggested - news update with both a few weeks later

However, some suggestions are simply too stupid to even consider and clearly not thought through.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09-09-2015, 00:09:18 »
However, some suggestions are simply too stupid to even consider and clearly not thought through.

I'd admit. I'm guilty of this.

There's a fine line between the obvious and really dumb ideas where great ideas the devs can use reside.

This means, there are going to be a lot of obvious suggestions and really, really stupid ideas for every few great ones.

Don't feel sore if you're bashed for a dumb idea. Just hope the one doing the bashi has social skills.